Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Transponder Maps: Domestic & DLA ~ Data 7/29/2015

• Please log in to reply
1260 replies to this topic

#1251 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

The not-yet-served DMAs are shown in the 'Market Data' spreadsheet in Post #3 of this thread...

... at the bottom of the list ...

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1252 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

Off the top of my head, D14 has room for Presque Isle on TID 74, Ottumwa on TID 59, and all of Western Kansas on TID 15  .  There are other transponders that are still empty, or lightly loaded, on D14.  The names given to the beams may not be what they are intended for.  For instance, if Portland OR is being adequately served, then TID 19 on Beam B21-1 might be for another DMA in that area.  Or they might  put Portland on D14, and use the beam it is currently using for another DMA.  I  need to find that list of unserved DMAs and see what I can figure out later

I know that there are large areas of rural eastern Oregon that have Portland locals, but not in HD as the beam pattern is "too weak" in many of those areas per DIRECTV. 

Interestingly, the Portland beam pattern from D14 has a pattern that is much more expansive for eastern Oregon. I wonder if Portland may well migrate to D14 to improve reception in those rural areas.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#1253 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,321 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

I know that there are large areas of rural eastern Oregon that have Portland locals, but not in HD as the beam pattern is "too weak" in many of those areas per DIRECTV.

Interestingly, the Portland beam pattern from D14 has a pattern that is much more expansive for eastern Oregon. I wonder if Portland may well migrate to D14 to improve reception in those rural areas.

They h e already done exactly that for Utah DMA so expect it for Oregon too very soon I'd bet.

#1254 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 395 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

Given what you say about eastern Oregon, I am positive rhey will move Portland to that beam.  It could serve no other purpose.  There aren't any totally unserved DMAs in that beam.   D14 was obviously designed as a "problem solver"  with very customized beam footprints.  I don't find any other unserved DMAs in that area.

The Otter was ugly.

HR44-200, HR24-500, SWM13 LNB

#1255 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 395 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:18 PM

Off the top of my head, D14 has room for Presque Isle on TID 74, Ottumwa on TID 59, and all of Western Kansas on TID 15  .

Let me add San Angelo, TX on D14 TID 36 to that list.

That leaves Alpena, MI, Casper-Riverton, WY, Cheyenne, WY, Grand Junction-Montrose, CO, Helena, MT, North Platte, NE, Victoria, TX and Zanesville, OH unserved.  All of these are one, two or three county DMAs with low population.  I have been been to some of them.  There is probably little economic advantage to DirecTV to serve them, unless they can easily do it with existing equipment.  I want to take a look at what the cable providers and Dish provide in those markets. Perhaps DirecTV can add one or two stations to existing transponders and pick them up.  Alpena, for instance has only one licensed  station, with a couple of digital subchannels in the DMA.  The local cable company picks up some additional stations from nearby DMAs in Michigan and a Canadian station from across the lake.

That brings up an interesting observation. DirecTV doesn't carry any Canadian stations.  Yet, it is common for people who live near the Canadian border to watch Canadian TV over the air.  55 years ago, I used to watch Ch 11 from Kingston, Ontario, from a hill outside of Syracuse, NY.  (across Lake Ontario).

The Otter was ugly.

HR44-200, HR24-500, SWM13 LNB

#1256 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,470 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:30 PM

In another thread it was noted that US satellite providers are not permitted to carry Canadian stations.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#1257 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,913 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:14 AM

In another thread it was noted that US satellite providers are not permitted to carry Canadian stations.

I'd like to see a solid reference for where such carriage is prohibited.

Canadian stations appear on the FCC's "Significantly Viewed" list for satellite and cable. Cable uses that list to add channels that normally would not be carried but by meeting the "significantly viewed" standard the station has proven that they reach and are (or were) viewed by a significant population of over the air viewers. Satellite can use that list to add channels from neighboring markets ... the catch is that where a cable system can be required to carry a channel on the significantly viewed list (depending on the capacity of the cable system and other local channels carried) a satellite system is not required to carry significantly viewed stations.

One problem facing satellite delivery of significantly viewed stations is that a station most likely will not be significantly viewed in an entire neighboring market. So where it would be permitted under the law to import a station as significantly viewed in one portion of a local market on satellite it would not be permitted to carry those channels to portions of the market where the channel was not significantly viewed. It is a lot easier for the satellite carrier to simply not carry a significantly viewed station than split a market and carry a station to only a portion of a market.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1258 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,321 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:07 AM

I wonder how broad that was that was mentioned earlier about DIRECTV having to comply by AT&T rules (cable company rulings basically) about thins like all vid. Will that mean DIRECTV will now have to behave like cable companies are carry significantly viewed stations even though they are also a sat company? Or maybe that will
Differentiated by delivery method in this instance???? Interesting possibilities there.

#1259 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:34 AM

Snuck a peak this morning, hoping to see continued/complete SW-1 migration.

Nope, no change from 7/29

Will reassess next Wednesday

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#1260 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,470 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

I wonder how broad that was that was mentioned earlier about DIRECTV having to comply by AT&T rules (cable company rulings basically) about thins like all vid. Will that mean DIRECTV will now have to behave like cable companies are carry significantly viewed stations even though they are also a sat company? Or maybe that will
Differentiated by delivery method in this instance???? Interesting possibilities there.

I'm not sure Directv or even the FCC has all the answers there. If they do have to make changes for stuff like that, I'm sure the FCC would give them time to make them, and Directv could request extensions, etc. The ruling would have probably mentioned it somewhere if they'd finalized all these details already.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#1261 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

One problem facing satellite delivery of significantly viewed stations is that a station most likely will not be significantly viewed in an entire neighboring market. So where it would be permitted under the law to import a station as significantly viewed in one portion of a local market on satellite it would not be permitted to carry those channels to portions of the market where the channel was not significantly viewed. It is a lot easier for the satellite carrier to simply not carry a significantly viewed station than split a market and carry a station to only a portion of a market.

DirecTV already does that for some markets. In the Transponder maps they appear as "Virtual" remaps in the LIL tab, but only specific counties can get them. i.e. in the Hartford-New Haven DMA, Litchfield, Middlesex and New Haven counties get some NYC stations, New London and Windham counties gets some Providence stations, Tolland and Windham counties get WBZ from Boston.

http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200076

Protected By... spam firewall...And...