Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Transponder Maps: Domestic & DLA ~ Data Refresh 2/25/2015

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#701 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted Yesterday, 06:16 PM

If that's true, I would think they could command it to use the full filter width and uplink a signal that fills only part of it. Why it would matter whether that signal was centered in the 62.5 MHz width? I guess we can't discount the fact the Spaceways are weird animals - even in non-processor mode there may be limited processing going on that would cause problems with this scenario.

Worst case, SW2 should be able to share with D14 and use only transponders 1/2 on the US, and use 1/2 & 3/4 in PR. If they don't have a better plan for it, why not? It has fuel life until sometime after 2020 so I can't see them retiring it, but who knows if it will remain at 99? I suppose they could sell it to someone who would make better use of its processing ability.

Due to the spacial diversity of the spot beams, they can continue to use all 6 transponder frequencies currently aimed via spot beams at PR.  They would not interfere with any CONUS spot beams on D14.  I suspect that D14 will pick up all of the CONUS spot beams on KA-hi from 99 over time and SW2 will be used for other markets.  If SW2 is like D14, they can't change the center frequency by offsetting the uplink.  According to what I have read, they demodulate the up link to baseband and remodulate on the new center frequency.

Without going to higher frequency transponders, there is no more capacity on SW2 for PR spot beams.

Edited by tomspeer46, Yesterday, 06:23 PM.

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#702 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,455 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Due to the spacial diversity of the spot beams, they can continue to use all 6 transponder frequencies currently aimed via spot beams at PR. They would not interfere with any CONUS spot beams on D14. I suspect that D14 will pick up all of the CONUS spot beams on KA-hi from 99 over time and SW2 will be used for other markets. If SW2 is like D14, they can't change the center frequency by offsetting the uplink. According to what I have read, they demodulate the up link to baseband and remodulate on the new center frequency.

Without going to higher frequency transponders, there is no more capacity on SW2 for PR spot beams.

I'm afraid there would even be interference problems with this idea too unfortunately. Since D14 also transmits US programming to PR by redirecting the CONUS national xpndrs 9-24 through the local spotbeams for the island. If SW2 is transmitting xpndr pair 5/6 on a spot aimed at the island, it will again interfere with pair 9/10 in the group of redirected nationals I would think.

Also, while it is true that altering the center frequency would not be possible if the SW satellites internally demodulated the uplinks to baseband before remodulation of the downlink transmit carriers. If instead the transponders use only direct frequency translation from receive to transmit (with intermediate amplification of course) as I think they do, then changing the downlink center frequency by offsetting the uplink may be possible as long as the up/down signal spectrums are still well within the xpndr passband of course.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#703 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,984 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:07 PM

Based on feedback from our PR subscriber contact, our TPN Map LIL tab for Market #213 (Puerto Rico the psuedo-DMA) is correct.  And in that data, the re-directed CONUS channels - FOX, ABC, NBC TNT, ESPN and all the others - are all provided by the Spaceway sisters.  The Puerto RIco SS Displays are precisely what is shown in the Network Decoder doc - no signals from Dxx sats.

Hawaii and Puerto Rico are being sourced very differently, at least at this moment in time.

#704 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 PM

I'm afraid there would even be interference problems with this idea too unfortunately. Since D14 also transmits US programming to PR by redirecting the CONUS national xpndrs 9-24 through the local spotbeams for the island. 

I didn't know that they are doing this, I thought all the PR programming came off D5 (110) and spots from the two Spaceways, but I will admit I haven't followed the \what they have done (or plan to do) for PR on the new satellite..  And yes, Slice1900's idea could work,if they are doing direct frequency conversion on SW2. I don't know. 

My setup

#705 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:28 PM

Based on feedback from our PR subscriber contact, our TPN Map LIL tab for Market #213 (Puerto Rico the psuedo-DMA) is correct.  And in that data, the re-directed CONUS channels - FOX, ABC, NBC TNT, ESPN and all the others - are all provided by the Spaceway sisters.  The Puerto RIco SS Displays are precisely what is shown in the Network Decoder doc - no signals from Dxx sats.

Hawaii and Puerto Rico are being sourced very differently, at least at this moment in time.

Thank you, Gary for confirming what I thought.  Our posts crossed because I was taking a lot of time consulting your spreadsheet to see if I could find any evidence that I was wrong

My setup

#706 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,455 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

Yes I realize that in the present configuration the Spaceways are supplying locals and national programming to PR. And since the incident with D10 we now know that D12 delivers Ka locals and redirected CONUS+ nationals through the LiL spotbeam for HI.

However, according to the technical Schedule S for D14, it's configuration will supply local channels and US national programming to PR by redirected CONUS+ xpndr channels through the island's spotbeams "B23" and "B24."

This was the "future" potential interference problem with using Pair 5/6 of SW2 in a spot to PR that I was trying to point out in my previous post.

D14 will also supply redirected CONUS+ xpndr channels via spotbeam "C01" to HI. But no local channels are provided by this spotbeam. Only redirected nationals.

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Edited by HoTat2, Today, 03:13 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#707 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,984 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 PM

The key here is that the Schedule S is what the FCC license will allow them to do, not what they are required to do.

Migrating the Domestic LIL burden away from one or both SW sisters to allow them to carry more PR channels would answer a lot of prayers.  And it would open up the use for SW  transponders that are an 'overlap' problem if used in the Domestic market.  PR and El Caribe is a giant market, with fewer than 40 HD channels....

#708 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,551 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted Today, 12:03 AM

The key here is that the Schedule S is what the FCC license will allow them to do, not what they are required to do.

Migrating the Domestic LIL burden away from one or both SW sisters to allow them to carry more PR channels would answer a lot of prayers.  And it would open up the use for SW  transponders that are an 'overlap' problem if used in the Domestic market.  PR and El Caribe is a giant market, with fewer than 40 HD channels....

But doesn't it make more sense to take advantage of D14's ability to direct all programming on transponders 9-24 to PR via B23 and B24 as HoTat2 said? D15 adds similar capability, so assuming it replaces Ka lo from D10, that will mean half of Directv's CONUS HD transponders are replicated to PR. That will be a pretty big leap for them in number of HD channels.

Directv will just have to place the channels they want in the PR market on 99ca and 103cb, so they might need to do a little shuffling...

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#709 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted Today, 03:06 PM

Many things are possible.   We seem to have exhausted the technical opportunities and limitations that we can observe here. I just want to observe the process as we go forward. What will be will be.  BTW, thanks for the education, everyone.

Edited by tomspeer46, Today, 03:09 PM.

My setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...