Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Transponder Maps: Domestic & LatinAm ~ Data Refresh 9/20/2014

• Please log in to reply
519 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

The Doctor J Comments for the 5/14/2014 Data

TWO HD LIL *TEST CHANNELS REMOVED

14      *WTLF          24      3        SW1 @103W Test: Local-Into-Local Chl  057    1060  184   

A3 Tallahassee 24 WTLF CW        CW from WTLFDT-TV, 24, Tallahassee, FL

Any word on when the CW (Tallahassee 24 WTLF) channel is going HD?  Thanks.

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Nobody here knows, but considering it was in testing for like two years, and DirecTV removed it in May, I wouldn't be holding my breath for it being added anytime soon.

Sorry!  I'm waiting on my affiliate of The CW to go HD on DirecTV as well...  :(

Edited by Alan Gordon, 18 September 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#503 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Nobody here knows, but considering it was in testing for like two years, and DirecTV removed it in May, I wouldn't be holding my breath for it being added anytime soon.

Sorry!  I'm waiting on my affiliate of The CW to go HD on DirecTV as well...  :(

Interestingly enough;

The last TPN map release for 9/10 shows WTLF HD back up in test again. On the same satellite and transponder listed before.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#504 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

Doctor J Comments for the 9/17/2014 Domestic Data:

New HD LIL DMA In Service

11      WVAW          16      3        SW2 @99W  99S    057    1070  36

A3 Charlottesville 16 WVAW ABC           ABC from WVAWDT-TV, 16, Charlottesville, VA

11      WCAV           19      3        SW2 @99W  99S    057    1080  36

A3 Charlottesville 19 WCAV CBS            CBS from WCAVDT-TV, 19, Charlottesville, VA

11      WAHU           27      1        SW2 @99W  99S    053    1060  36

A3 Charlottesville 27 WAHU FOX            FOX from WAHUDT-TV, 27, Charlottesville, VA

11      WVIR            29      1        SW2 @99W  99S    053    1070  36

A3 Charlottesville 29 WVIR NBC            NBC from WVIRDT-TV, 29, Charlottesville, VA

11      CW               30      1        SW2 @99W  99S    053    1090  36

A3 Charlottesville 30 WVIRDT3 CW       CW from WVIRDT3-TV, 30, Charlottesville, VA

11      WHTJ           41      1        SW2 @99W  99S    053    1080  36

A3 Charlottesville 41 WHTJ PBS             PBS from WHTJDT-TV, 41, Charlottesville, VA

#505 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Nielsen Ratings Update

The 'Market' tab in this week's TPN Map Excel (9/17/14) incorporates the 2014-2015 Nielsen DMA ratings which were released on 9/12/14.  Each year there are winners moving up in the DMA rankings - and of course the loser DMAs, dropping in the relative rankings.

This is a great macro view of the shifting demographics within the United States.

The 'Market' tab also reflects the new Charlottesville, VA, HD-LIL DMA added since last week.  The recap numbers at the bottom of the Market tab now show Directv HD Local service is provided to 99.54% of US TV Households.

#506 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hey Gary;

Are you and egakagoc2xi making any progress at sorting out the confusing situation going on with DIRECTV LA?

The new transponders popping up and mislabeled signal level screens posted recently by an Uruguay technician down there appearing as DIRECTV test new receiver firmware in preparation for DLA-1's launch is really making a confusing mess of the network decoders in previous LA TPN maps.       

#507 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

HoTat2,

I have been traveling for the past week - just got back today.  It will take me a little time to dig my way up to the surface of my desk...

However -- on the DLA-1 front, I think we will be okay.  egakagoc2xi (henceforth to be nicknamed 'ega') has all the data, which includes former Networks 0, 1 and 2 - but now with Pan Networks 3 and 4 added from DLA-1.  As I recall, DLA-1 also has augmented the  Network 1 (Beam Sur) TPN array.  I expect there will be up to four additional Regional Networks that will soon be making an appearance too.

We also have the necessary data from the DLA-1 Schedule S; I expect it will all logically come together.  As quickly as we can, we will work through it and post what seems to make sense.

One last note - look at the current "Network Decoder" tab for the Latin TPN Map -  the Receiver Display numbering has always seemed 'a mess' to me.  But we have just posted what the LA units present.  Net 1 for instance displays TPNs labeled 13-20 and then 21-24.  Oh well.

#508 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Alan.  This really sucks. There are several shows both new and old that I'd like to watch on CW but refuse to watch in SD.

And now after my recent Genie upgrade, I don't know how or why but the installer changed my dish LNB and setup so now I don't even see my local CW channel 24 in the guide anymore. Guess I'll call D* back and bug them about it some more.  :nono2:

DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#509 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

On the 9/17 TPN Map, WTLF is still in *TEST status.  That is a very good sign.

#510 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Updated LATIN TPN Map

An updated Latin TPN Map has just been posted. 

For the first time, we have references to Networks 3 and 4, Networks expected to be provided by the soon-to-launch DLA-1.

This weeks TPN Map has -two- Network Decoder tabs, so I could provide you both the current and a new Network Decoder view.   We have some system data which has enabled us to assemble a 'forthcoming' Network Decoder with the inclusion of DLA-1.  Note too that Network 2, (Beam PR) has been 'robbed' of all but one TPN in the new layout.

An additional 4 Regional Networks are expected but have not yet appeared in the data.

#511 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

So Gary if I'm reading this correctly;

It seems the forthcoming TPN map reflecting the addition thus far of DLA-1's Pan-Regional 1&2 transponder sets appear to merge the "new" Network 3 (or Pan-Regional 1 @ 16 transponders) into Network 0 (Beam Oeste @ 15 transponders) making for 16 transponders by the addition of one more (tp. 25) in a "revised" Network 0 (Beam Oeste).

Downlink 11.450-11.7 GHz, same as the current Net. 0

And the "new: Network 4 (or Pan-Regional 2 @ 16 transponders) will merge into Network 1 (Beam Sur @ 12 transponders), bringing a revised Network 1 to 16 transponders through the addition of 4 more (tps. 2, 3, 4, and 5).

Downlink 11.95-12.2 GHz, same as the current Net. 1

How the 4 regional transponders sets will appear is unknown of course,

Also, the single transponder 11 for network 2 (Beam PR) has to come from one of 54 MHz wide transponders (according to FCC filings) on G3C that was formally used by Beam PR to transmit HD programming before PR's transition to DIRECTV USA and the SL-5 dish.

Though the FCC docs. show those tps. as having linear downlink polarization (Lyngsat says circular) which makes no sense and probably an error. 

#512 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

Sorry - I don't understand your use of the term 'merge' for Net 3 and Net 4 in your post above.  Perhaps you are visualizing the new DLA Nets as  immediate replacements for GLA services. 

But instead of a 'merge', my admittedly  limited view right now perceives the new DLA-1 networks providing service in addition to all the existing GLA transponders.

We still have much more to learn.

#513 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:59 AM

Sorry - I don't understand your use of the term 'merge' for Net 3 and Net 4 in your post above.  Perhaps you are visualizing the new DLA Nets as  immediate replacements for GLA services. 

But instead of a 'merge', my admittedly  limited view right now perceives the new DLA-1 networks providing service in addition to all the existing GLA transponders.

We still have much more to learn.

Ok, perhaps "merge" isn't the correct term :)

Was thinking at the time that since you only used the same old "GLA" network numbers in the future prospective Network Decoder map which includes the initial contributions from DLA-1. And given that GLA-0 and Network 3 from DLA-1, and GLA-1 and Network 4 from DLA-1 use the same respective downlink frequency bands. 

I thought the implication was the new "Pan-Regional 1" transponder set from DLA-1 will become a revised GLA-0 or Beam Oeste now with 16 transponders (numbered 25-40) instead of the previous 15. And the new "Pan- Regional 2" transponder set from DLA-1 will become a revised GLA-1 or Beam Sur now with 16 transponders (numbered 2-5, and 13-24) instead of the previous 12.     

• egakagoc2xi likes this

#514 OFFLINE   egakagoc2xi

egakagoc2xi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:23 AM

Ok, perhaps "merge" isn't the correct term :)

Was thinking at the time that since you only used the same old "GLA" network numbers in the future prospective Network Decoder map which includes the initial contributions from DLA-1. And given that GLA-0 and Network 3 from DLA-1, and GLA-1 and Network 4 from DLA-1 use the same respective downlink frequency bands.

I thought the implication was the new "Pan-Regional 1" transponder set from DLA-1 will become a revised GLA-0 or Beam Oeste now with 16 transponders (numbered 25-40) instead of the previous 15. And the new "Pan- Regional 2" transponder set from DLA-1 will become a revised GLA-1 or Beam Sur now with 16 transponders (numbered 2-5, and 13-24) instead of the previous 12.

I think that is a pretty good analysis, but if that was true why have them now separated. I mean...if they are setting everything up, why create 5 network if in the end there will only be 2 (not counting the spot).

I think that initially there will be 5 + 4 spot and when the G3C goes out of service, maybe with DLA-1 and 2 they will merge.

#515 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

To say it another way:

Given the data we have thus far --

G3C Beam Oeste is filled out to 16 TPNs, 25 through 40

G3C Beam Sur is filled out to 16 TPNs, 2 through 5, plus 13 through 24

G3C Beam PR is left with but 1 TPN, TPN 11

In Addition --

DLA1 PAN-1, Net 3 is filled with 24 TPNs, 41 through 64

DLA1 PAN-2, Net 4 is filled with 24 TPNs, 65 through 88

We still have 4 Logical Regional Networks that need to fit into the plan.

#516 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

To say it another way:

Given the data we have thus far --

G3C Beam Oeste is filled out to 16 TPNs, 25 through 40

G3C Beam Sur is filled out to 16 TPNs, 2 through 5, plus 13 through 24

G3C Beam PR is left with but 1 TPN, TPN 11

In Addition --

DLA1 PAN-1, Net 3 is filled with 24 TPNs, 41 through 64

DLA1 PAN-2, Net 4 is filled with 24 TPNs, 65 through 88

We still have 4 Logical Regional Networks that need to fit into the plan.

Gary, based on this here (in red) is it really certain DLA1 and 2 (or Net. 3 and 4) are not actually the Regional transponders?

As the only transponder sets with 24 counts each in the FCC docs are the Regionals

That is perhaps Regions 1 and 2 are combined = 24 transponders?

and Regions 3 and 4 are combined = 24 transponders?

The Pan-Pegional sets (or PANs) are only 16 apiece. 

#517 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

Gary, based on this here (in red) is it really certain DLA1 and 2 (or Net. 3 and 4) are not actually the Regional transponders?

As the only transponder sets with 24 counts each in the FCC docs are the Regionals

That is perhaps Regions 1 and 2 are combined = 24 transponders?

and Regions 3 and 4 are combined = 24 transponders?

The Pan-Pegional sets (or PANs) are only 16 apiece. 

I would agree with you wholeheartedly - I think we will find that Regions 1 through 4 are more accurately, just sub-sets of of the two PAN logical networks.  Actually, I expect we will end up with 6 logical Regions: PAN 1, PAN 2 and Regions 1 through 4, where the PAN subsets are more 'wide beam' and the Region 1-4 subsets are more limited 'narrow beam'.

#518 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

Added an updated Latin TPN Map of 9/20 --

A fresh Latin TPN Map of 9/20 has been added to post #1, along with the previous Latin TPN Map of 9/16.  It is not that there are any great changes, but comparing the two 'Hybrid' tabs, you can see ongoing changes in the 'Test Transponder Channel' records.

#519 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yeah;

I think that since the 4 regional beams are not spatially isolated from one another, but heavily overlap in pairs of 1/2 and 3/4,

The 24 transponders in each pair must be shared by the two beams. Therefore if say 12 of the 24 total transponders are used in regional beam 1 than only the other unused 12 will be available for use in regional beam 2 since they both overlap. Same situation with regional beams 3 and 4.

So too summarize the possibly new decoder map is something to the effect of;

Pan-Regional 1 = The 16 transponders of a revised GLA-0 (Beam Oeste)

Pan-Regional 2 = The 16 transponders of a revised GLA-1 (Beam Sur) 

Beam PR = One transponder (#11) of a revised GLA-2 (Beam PR)

Regional 1/2 = 24 transponders of the new Network 3. DLA-3 (Regional Beams 1/2)

Regional 3/4 = 24 transponders of a new Network 4. DLA-4 (Regional Beams 3/4)

Then perhaps, with the exception of GLA-2 (Beam PR) which must come G3C, the "GLA" designation will be changed to "DLA" for networks 0 and 1 once DLA-1 launches and becomes operational. 

• egakagoc2xi likes this

#520 OFFLINE   egakagoc2xi

egakagoc2xi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:06 PM

Yeah;

I think that since the 4 regional beams are not spatially isolated from one another, but heavily overlap in pairs of 1/2 and 3/4,

The 24 transponders in each pair must be shared by the two beams. Therefore if say 12 of the 24 total transponders are used in regional beam 1 than only the other unused 12 will be available for use in regional beam 2 since they both overlap. Same situation with regional beams 3 and 4.

So too summarize the possibly new decoder map is something to the effect of;

Pan-Regional 1 = The 16 transponders of a revised GLA-0 (Beam Oeste)

Pan-Regional 2 = The 16 transponders of a revised GLA-1 (Beam Sur)

Beam PR = One transponder (#11) of a revised GLA-2 (Beam PR)

Regional 1/2 = 24 transponders of the new Network 3. DLA-3 (Regional Beams 1/2)

Regional 3/4 = 24 transponders of a new Network 4. DLA-4 (Regional Beams 3/4)

Then perhaps, with the exception of GLA-2 (Beam PR) which must come G3C, the "GLA" designation will be changed to "DLA" for networks 0 and 1 once DLA-1 launches and becomes operational.

Gary,

This theory could explain the 2 "mystery" TP?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...