Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FrozenAsset

FrozenAsset

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

Received the email this morning.

http://support.direc...directv-service

http://www.directv.c...Increase_GM.pdf

http://www.directv.c...ncrease_RSN.pdf
LIVINGROOM: DirecTV HR24-500
Panasonic
Viera TH-50PZ800U<>Onkyo TX-SR805
Klipsch RF-35, RC-52, RS-3, RPW-10
Sony PS3<>Dual APC SUA1500
Studio Tech U-22T<>SL5-SWM & Slimline AU9

MASTER: DirecTV HR23-700<>Roku 2 XS<>Panasonic TC-L32X2
OFFICE:
DirecTV H24-100<>Panasonic TC-L32X2
NETWORK:
D-LINK DGS-1024D<>Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 352 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Not as bad as I had expected. Didn't see the HBO increase coming tho. Curious on how the Advanced Receiver $23/$25 will break down for those of us with the lifetime DVR service.

#3 OFFLINE   leier911

leier911

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I didn't see anything in there about the Entertainment Package. On the 2 pdf's. Why don't they list that there?

#4 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Not as bad as I had expected. Didn't see the HBO increase coming tho. Curious on how the Advanced Receiver $23/$25 will break down for those of us with the lifetime DVR service.

That increase is for not allowing their consumer base to use a Roku device in favor of an extra receiver. Instead one gets to use their less then ideal on demand service... It's a winwin for the D* viewer.

#5 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

I didn't see anything in there about the Entertainment Package. On the 2 pdf's. Why don't they list that there?

Maybe the Entertainment package price is staying the same?

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Entertainment is not going up
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

On the advanced receiver fee, what does

*Advanced Receiver
fee $25/mo. reduced by a $2.00 bill credit for each month that Advanced Receiver fee is active during its promotional period.

mean, what promotional period?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

That increase is for not allowing their consumer base to use a Roku device in favor of an extra receiver. Instead one gets to use their less then ideal on demand service... It's a winwin for the D* viewer.

Actually, Dish allows Roku for HBO and they took up their HBO price by the same $2.00.

Maybe it is because the cost of HBO to Dish, DIRECTV, etc is going up in a manner that requires that increase. Some cable providers already charge $18 or higher for HBO.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Um, no.

#10 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

On the advanced receiver fee, what does mean, what promotional period?

It's all dependent upon when you came on to the advance receiver fee. Long story short, you won't be seeing anything above $23 in 2013 from what I understand...net of the credit. The timing, however, is different for different customers based on when they started with D*, their bill cycle date, etc.
DIRECTV employee

#11 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

So looks like the grandfathered ChoiceExtra classic is $1 higher than the choice extra package.
Also Im paying $10 HD fee and $8 dvr fee. So it looks like ill now be paying $23 for this. So $5 more dollars for HD and DVR.
then $3 more for choice extra classic.

So looks like a $8 increase for me.

This is getting out of hand.

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

It's all dependent upon when you came on to the advance receiver fee. Long story short, you won't be seeing anything above $23 in 2013 from what I understand...net of the credit. The timing, however, is different for different customers based on when they started with D*, their bill cycle date, etc.

Thanks, I guess. Looking then like 2014 will it will then go up to the $25/month or whatever it will be after those rate increases.

I was REALLY hoping that there would be a reduction in the montly charge for using a Samsung RVU client vs. a C31, wishful thinking on my part.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 918 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

@ http://ebm.cm.direct...rd-en-newprcrsn

#14 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

So looks like the grandfathered ChoiceExtra classic is $1 higher than the choice extra package.
Also Im paying $10 HD fee and $8 dvr fee. So it looks like ill now be paying $23 for this. So $5 more dollars for HD and DVR.
then $3 more for choice extra classic.

So looks like a $8 increase for me.

No, $10 HD, $8 DVR & $3 MRV.

only change is now $10 DVR.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#15 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 918 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

That's the industry. Became "out of hand" years ago. I can understand why there are people who have rid themselves of subscribing to cable-television programming. (Regardless of provider.)

#16 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Entertainment is not going up

is there someplace I can get a printable list of the channel lineup for this package?
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Some observations:

A more readable PDF along with some sample bills might be useful in figuring out all the places a typical subscriber might expect to get hit.

The raising of rates and an issuing of credits towards the increase is confusing at best.

The changes in equipment fees aren't explained by programming content cost increases.

Ultimately, raising the DVR fee has the greatest impact on the home with a single DVR. It would surely be more equitable to raise the receiver lease fee (and reduce the RVU TV fee).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

The PDF file attached here is the one DirecTV has at their website.

Attached Files

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Some observations:

A more readable PDF along with some sample bills might be useful in figuring out all the places a typical subscriber might expect to get hit.

I just posted the PDF on their website...easy to read...and why would any Dish subscriber such as yourself care?

Some of us were bracing for much larger increases based on the content provider greed in their costs going up this past year.

Maybe this is a sign reams of people are looking to switch to DirecTV and away from Dish after Dish announced their price increases. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,662 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

is there someplace I can get a printable list of the channel lineup for this package?

http://www.directv.c...ckageId=1310002

On the English packages page under Entertainment, there's a link just above the HBO/Showtime free for three months mention that says:

"140+ digital channels"

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...