Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Unless Congress creates a bill that program providers not offered to consumers a la carte are paid entirely by a portion of their total hours of viewing (and considering the FCC says cable can now encrypt local channels, this is easily measurable very accurately providing the unit is connected to cable, internet or telephone and would not operate without it), don't expect the increasing fees to stop, especially with channel bundling.

Ala carte ain't happenin' for some time if ever.

But your observations about channel group "bundling" are somewhat on target.

For example: When Viacom held Dish and DirecTV hostage earlier this year wanting exorbitant rate hikes (double digit)...they dangled a few popular channels in front of the providers saying if they didn't pay "X" for the bundle...their customers would go dark on those popular channels. Still, Viacom was actually trying to get the sat service providers to also pay the same or more for unpopular channels with low ratings (TeenNick, Logo and Palladia) contained in those same bundles. Overall...it's a hostage situation for more money.

This channel group practice of "negotiation by threat" happens with almost every time carriage agreement terms approach expiration. It affects all providers - sat, cable, fiber, Internet. At some point, service carriers will have to say "no" to one of them to reinvent the process.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Ala carte ain't happenin' for some time if ever.

But your observations about channel group "bundling" are somewhat on target.

For example: When Viacom held Dish and DirecTV hostage earlier this year wanting exorbitant rate hikes (double digit)...they dangled a few popular channels in front of the providers saying if they didn't pay "X" for the bundle...their customers would go dark on those popular channels. Still, Viacom was actually trying to get the sat service providers to also pay the same or more for unpopular channels with low ratings (TeenNick, Logo and Palladia) contained in those same bundles. Overall...it's a hostage situation for more money.

This channel group practice of "negotiation by threat" happens with almost every time carriage agreement terms approach expiration. It affects all providers - sat, cable, fiber, Internet. At some point, service carriers will have to say "no" to one of them to reinvent the process.

+1

#203 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

E* has let people sub to just HBO (or Showtime or Starz) without a basic package. I did it for years until they killed the 148W bird which had full bandwidth HBO compared to what they offered on the normal arc.

This would actually REDUCE the SAC for D*, not increase it - especially as one would not be getting a free install or discounted equipment with a limited subscription.

However, with D*'s current pricing, probably no one would do a sub such as this.

$18 HBO
$5 Charge for no basic service
$10 HD
$10 DVR

$43+ tax and you are close to a $50 bill just for HBO on 1 receiver. $6 more for every additional receiver.

D* should WISH people would pay that just for HBO. It would be a gold mine of excess revenue for them for the fool that paid it.

I'm not aware of E* doing that. How would it reduce SAC?

D* has to outlay over $800 for all new subscribers they get according to their Wall Street reports. That includes the dish, the receivers, the labor to install, and marketing \ dealer expenses.

I think what you are saying is a customer would be able to do this if they bought their own dish and receivers, got on their own roof, did their own installation, etc. Not sure how realistic that is and how many customers would actually do it (the expense and the labor). The old days of installing a dish was pretty easy. Today, trying to point a dish to get all of the signals matched up is a nightmare if you don't have the training or a signal meter. The customer would likely quit after a few hours and call for an installation. The idea has been thought of, but very impractical.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#204 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Differences between CHOICE XTRA and CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC (same as PLUS DVR and PLUS HD DVR).

I've seen this come up. Here are the differences. CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC has these channels below that CHOICE XTRA does not.

Boomerang
Chiller
NHL Network
Sprout
Style
Tennis Channel
PBS channel 389
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#205 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I think what you are saying is a customer would be able to do this if they bought their own dish and receivers, got on their own roof, did their own installation, etc. Not sure how realistic that is and how many customers would actually do it (the expense and the labor). The old days of installing a dish was pretty easy. Today, trying to point a dish to get all of the signals matched up is a nightmare if you don't have the training or a signal meter. The customer would likely quit after a few hours and call for an installation. The idea has been thought of, but very impractical.

I will no longer attempt to install/align my own dish. It has grown beyond my ability, equipment and patience. The rest I am game and pretty much up to the task.

The last dish I put up was an 18" dual LNB back in 2001. I was two stories up on a ladder installing it on the eaves of the roof with a bubble level and a boy scout compass tweaking it while my wife was watching a signal meter in the family room shouting up to me.

Me: "Now?"
Mrs: "Nothing!"
Me: (Smacks dish with open palm out of frustration)
Mrs: "97!"
Me: "97 is an 'A' where I went to school." (tighten nuts and get the heck out of dodge.)

I tried to put up an old Phase III dish for my father so he could get LIL in Naples FL in about 2002 and just didn't have the right tools to make it work. Ended up having to roll a truck.

When I upgraded to HD at the start of 2007 I had learned my lesson. I let Mastec install my AU9 Slimline 5LNB. They did such a good job 6 years ago now that I am still well peaked on all TPs on all birds.

Installing a dish such as they are today is just not a simple DIY project.

Edited by HarleyD, 29 December 2012 - 05:13 PM.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#206 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,996 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

The Advanced Receiver Fee is currently $20. That includes HD ($10), DVR ($8), and MRV ($3). Yes, the total is $21, but with it all rolled into one line item they discount it to $20.

The new fee will be $23. The DVR fee is going from $8 to $10. With the new fee, it appears that the $1 discount for having everything as one line item will disappear, so most people will see a $3 increase.

For those that pay for each item separately on your bill, I assume that it will continue that way, but you will see a $2 increase in the DVR fee.

- Merg

That's quite steep.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#207 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

That's quite steep.

Compared to what?

Steep is a subjective term.

#208 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Differences between CHOICE XTRA and CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC (same as PLUS DVR and PLUS HD DVR).

I've seen this come up. Here are the differences. CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC has these channels below that CHOICE XTRA does not.

Boomerang
Chiller
NHL Network
Sprout
Style
Tennis Channel
PBS channel 389

This appears to be correct. The weird thing is that on DirecTV's site when comparing packages, it shows the channels you listed are not available in my current package even though they are. I see my package name changed today from Plus HD DVR to Choice Xtra Classic + HD DVR.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#209 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Compared to what?

Steep is a subjective term.

It's cheaper to the hardware costs our local cable company wants for a couple of HD DVRs...but then it's all relative.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#210 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

It's cheaper to the hardware costs our local cable company wants for a couple of HD DVRs...but then it's all relative.

Mike

Thanks for that clarification.

#211 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Well, to give an idea. I checked out Comcast, who the cable provider in my area. To equal the service I currently have, the fee's alone for HD/DVR (2 HD-DVR's and 1 HD reciever) service would be an additional 43$ a month and that's not including the base package :o. At least DTV doesn't charge DVR/HD montly per reciever of that type. Now THAT is steep.
--
(up to 90 hours of Standard Definition or 20 hours of HD). And what in the )@*$#()* is that? Only 20 hours of HD :o

#212 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,738 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

(up to 90 hours of Standard Definition or 20 hours of HD). And what in the )@*$#()* is that? Only 20 hours of HD :o

A very small HDD.....:eek2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#213 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Well, to give an idea. I checked out Comcast, who the cable provider in my area. To equal the service I currently have, the fee's alone for HD/DVR (2 HD-DVR's and 1 HD reciever) service would be an additional 43$ a month and that's not including the base package :o. At least DTV doesn't charge DVR/HD montly per reciever of that type. Now THAT is steep.
--

A very small HDD.....:eek2:

My brother has one of those DVRs. With four people in the house they have to be very careful about what they record in HD. They sometimes record things in SD to make sure they have enough space...and for this they pay separate fees for each DVR.

I've checked the local options and, for my particular setup, DIRECTV has the lowest hardware fees. For othere, YMMV. :grin:

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#214 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

And to be honest, 100 seems kinda small. Compared to 20 though, I feel like a king. :lol: I couldn't function with only 20 hours of HD, that's crazy. :hurah:

#215 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

No where else can I get a 5 tuner DVR (w/unique tuners), 1TB (200+HD) standard (w/no need for eSATA), MRV to every room in the home, offload to iPad capability (nomad) for any recording, and RSN's in HD. It's literally that simple for me now. NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB EI are also a plus in DirecTV's favor, but there's no other TV provider choice for this family until the competition (mostly just FiOS) can meet the above minimum requirements, thus just pay whatever it is. Also have the FiOS Triple Play bundle since it's negligible to add TV, so familiar with the service, but missing some of the above.

And DBSTalk blows away DSLReports, which is also a big factor (for me).

Edited by Sixto, 29 December 2012 - 01:58 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#216 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

No where else can I get a 5 tuner DVR (w/unique tuners), 1TB (200+HD) standard (w/no need for eSATA), MRV to every room in the home, offload to iPad capability (nomad) for any recording, and RSN's in HD. It's literally that simple for me now. NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB EI are also a plus in DirecTV's favor, but there's no other TV provider choice for this family until the competition (mostly just FiOS) can meet the above minimum requirements, thus just pay whatever it is. Also have the FiOS Triple Play bundle since it's negligible to add TV, so familiar with the service, but missing some of the above.

--
Not to mention with the whole home, you actually have a combined recording power of 7! :grin:

#217 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,903 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

And DBSTalk blows away DSLReports, which is also a big factor (for me).

Agreed. It's amazing to think, but especially because of this site, I would never leave DirecTV unless I absolutely had to for financial reasons. But I'd drop back to a lower package first.

#218 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Like I said earlier, when some channel package (like ESPN) reaches a certain price per month (say $5 or $8, whatever) then I think that package should be a la carte. There is that $5 'extra HD' channel package that we can add a la carte so why not something like ESPN for example? Directv needs to take a stand on that for its customers.

#219 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,903 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Even DirecTV wouldn't have a chance getting ESPN to agree to that. And ESPN knows that DirecTV would lose a huge amount of money if they lost it.

#220 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

E* has let people sub to just HBO (or Showtime or Starz) without a basic package. I did it for years until they killed the 148W bird which had full bandwidth HBO compared to what they offered on the normal arc.

This would actually REDUCE the SAC for D*, not increase it - especially as one would not be getting a free install or discounted equipment with a limited subscription.

I'm not aware of E* doing that. How would it reduce SAC?

D* has to outlay over $800 for all new subscribers they get according to their Wall Street reports. That includes the dish, the receivers, the labor to install, and marketing \ dealer expenses.

DISH did it by not providing the dish, receivers and the labor to install. The customer could already have the equipment from a previous install where they had already satisfied their commitment or the customer could pay full retail (or eBay/used market) to get the equipment needed.

It is harder to do today with higher retail prices on receivers and more complicated dish installations. But if a customer is willing to pay for the bulk of the costs it could be done. DISH still does it, but instead of charging a "no package" fee they have a minimum package that includes channels.

spam firewall