Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

--
Neither does DirecTV. The 6$ fee is for the programming that is shared, which is why your primary reciever is free and the fee is charged whether it's leased or owned.
--
It's not different than the cellphone service you speak of, where they do family plans. You pay full package price on the primary phone and each additional phone is 5-10$ to share the minutes.
--
Same with DirecTV. You pay the full package price on your primary reciever (why it's free) and additional 6$ for every other TV to share the programming. It's also why you still pay the 6$ on C31 clients, because it's not for equipment. It is for the shared programming.

yes but with a cell phone that additional phone has it's own number / line.

and when the box rent price and the mirroring price for owning the box is the same that makes it hard to work out and some of it is a cash grab.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

This appears to be correct. The weird thing is that on DirecTV's site when comparing packages, it shows the channels you listed are not available in my current package even though they are. I see my package name changed today from Plus HD DVR to Choice Xtra Classic + HD DVR.

Do you have a link? I'm curious what you are seeing.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#223 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Compared to what?

Steep is a subjective term.

True, but a 25% increase is typically classified as steep.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#224 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

A very small HDD.....:eek2:

I think it's the encoding. Even an HR20 only recorded about 30 hours HD when it used MPEG2, went up to 50 hours with MPEG4.

#225 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Do you have a link? I'm curious what you are seeing.

http://www.directv.c...questid=3237198

Boomerang.jpg

Chiller.jpg

Style.jpg
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#226 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

DirecTV Genie whole-home DVR review:

http://www.engadget....ome-dvr-review/

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#227 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

DirecTV Genie whole-home DVR review: http://www.engadget....ome-dvr-review/

Very well written review..

#228 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Based on the screen grabs of the guide the reviewer lives in the Tampa DMA.

It's also interesting how often I end up learning something from these reviews that I didn't know about my own equipment.

Specifically, I've always used the red and green buttons to make the 12 hour jumps forward and backward in the guide and didn't know I could do the same thing with FF and REW.

Edited by HarleyD, 29 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#229 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Specifically, I've always used the red and green buttons to make the 12 hour jumps forward and backward in the guide and didn't know I could do the same thing with FF and REW.

It wasn't always that way.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#230 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

http://www.directv.c...questid=3237198

[ATTACH]30822[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30823[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]30824[/ATTACH]

If I was following the thread correctly, you are in CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC which won't show up in the comparison on the web because the package isn't sold any longer. That might be the disconnect going on. Choice Xtra Classic is different than Choice Xtra. Also, as you pointed out, Plus DVR and PLUS HD DVR are migrating over to Choice Xtra Classic. They are identical in channels and services, the difference is that with Plus HD and Plus HD DVR the DVR and HD was bundled together into one package. Now they are broken out separately.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#231 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

25% price increase?
DIRECTV employee

#232 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

25% price increase?

The DVR fee going from $8 to $10 is a 25% increase.

I prefer to call it a $2 increase, doesn't sound as bad :)

#233 OFFLINE   chick3112215

chick3112215

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

ok I did some checking into the RSN Fee today. I found because I get Root Sports (from Pittsburgh) along with STO (Sports Time Ohio) and Fox Sports Ohio I am lucky enough to qualify for this special fee... YAY :( But what I am at odds with and someone here maybe able to help. I leve in North East Ohio, my locals come from the Youngstown DMA, Cleveland is considered my neighboring locals, this si what gets me. So I am in the secondary Pittsburgh market aswell, but back on Cleveland. I am in Clevelands DMA for "Neighboring Locals" Dish has those, last I knew on the national beam but I can not in any way shape of form get D* to put those on my programing, (I would pay extra for them) But I am forced to get Fox Sports Pittsburgh, I don't watch Penquin Hockey or Pirates Baseball (who does) But I can not opt out of that crappy channel. I get teh sports pack from football season until the end of college hoops and Hockey. I for the life of me can not remember watching Roots Sports..... That's my comment I can't get channels I am aloud to have and would pay 5 bucks a month to have but I am forced into having 1 crappy channel that is going to cost me 2 more bucks. OK rant over. Have a Happy New Year everyone!!!!

#234 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

DirecTV Genie whole-home DVR review: http://www.engadget....ome-dvr-review/

Love it, I've already told a commenter that they are wrong, caused another to spontaneously reboot with a remote reprogram suggestion, and explained booleans, along with promoting this site. Almost a full days work.

Edited by dpeters11, 29 December 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#235 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Of course...just like a 25 cent price increase on a $0.99 Coke at McDonalds.

That's why numbers can become manipulated to make a point and at the same time can become meaningless, especially when it comes to percentages.

2 Bucks is 2 Bucks...it's that simple.

Then again...the whole pricing model changes with ALL providers is forcing plenty of folks to re-evaluate what they pay for each month...and just how important some of the elements of the bill really are in terms of "need".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#236 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Like I said earlier, when some channel package (like ESPN) reaches a certain price per month (say $5 or $8, whatever) then I think that package should be a la carte. There is that $5 'extra HD' channel package that we can add a la carte so why not something like ESPN for example? Directv needs to take a stand on that for its customers.

--
I think it's because ESPN requires a certain penetration rate of the customer base, which is ungodly (in the 90's I think). If you make it a la carte like premiums, HD Extra Pack, etc, then that penetration can not be reached.
--
I'm sure someone can confirm the penetration thing.

#237 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Love it, I've already told a commenter that they are wrong, caused another to spontaneously reboot with a remote reprogram suggestion, and explained booleans, along with promoting this site. Almost a full days work.

Yeah...the overview is a typical Engadget piece...typos, mis-spellings (especially the banner photo heading about the DirecTV Genie whole-shome DVR), poorly cropped photos, misinformation, and lust for menu screenshots...several of which are not unique to the Genie.

But other than those things...it's a work of art.

Coming full circle back to the topic at hand...

It will be interesting to see the mid-year 2013 numbers on new subscribers and YTD revenue for various providers. That might give a clearer indication of the impact of customer switiching....

#238 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

It wasn't always that way.

Be that as it may, a change was implemented and I wasn't aware of it.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#239 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Man.......with Premier this is pushing me ever close to the $200/mo threshold. I dont want to change anything about my setup/programming but this is getting to the point where I might have to.

$200/month? u must be nuts

#240 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

$200/month? u must be nuts

Now now...let's not get nasty.

No doubt $200/month for Pay TV is too pricey for the average subcriber...and certainly here as well...but you'd be surprised how many folks spend $150+/month on it...even with Dish, Cable, etc.

Then again...there are folks with a lust for mobile phones and pay $500+ for a phone and $150+ per month for service on those as well.

Not my cup of expense tea...but if folks have the finances for it, and choose to do it...it's their prerogative (and money) to do so.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...