Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Okay, I was probably being a little more facetious about it than I should have been. I apologize. I'm glad to hear they should be able to do it right. I was letting my tendency for sarcasm, and my healthy dread of dealing with phone reps from almost any large company, color my words. :D

New question: I'm currently on Choice Ultimate with the three-months-free HBO/Max/Show/Starz bundle. That shows up on my bill as a $45 item (and then a $45 credit elsewhere).

The price difference between Ultimate and Premier is...$45. It sounds like that margin will hold, at least within a buck or two, after February's increases. I am probably willing to keep those premiums for a little while even though the credit for them is now done (I've had my third bill). Shouldn't I just upgrade to Premier if it's the same price difference? It seems I'd gain some other channels, too, though nearly all the additions appear to be out-of-market regional sports channels.

Would making this base package change risk my other "new customer" promotional credits, which should still have nine more billing cycles left on them? Any other "gotchas" to be aware of in switching one's base package? I suppose they are much more accommodating when upgrading a package versus downgrading.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#342 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Upgrading to Premier would also get you all the RSNs. Encore is already part of Ultimate so I think that's all you would gain.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#343 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Now now...let's not get nasty.

No doubt $200/month for Pay TV is too pricey for the average subcriber...and certainly here as well...but you'd be surprised how many folks spend $150+/month on it...even with Dish, Cable, etc.

Then again...there are folks with a lust for mobile phones and pay $500+ for a phone and $150+ per month for service on those as well.

Not my cup of expense tea...but if folks have the finances for it, and choose to do it...it's their prerogative (and money) to do so.

Pretty much.

I work from home so it isnt like I have to buy lunch every day and $20 worth of gas lasts two weeks.

I might spend $100 more than some people for tv but they spend more on gas and food. It all balances out somehow.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#344 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I would wait to suspend, each month of suspension, you lose a month of the credit.

Thanks - good point. I was just reading up on the details of suspending accounts (http://support.direc...directv-service) and had come across that detail. D* extends any service contract by the number of months you suspend, but they also deduct the credits for the months you suspend. So I guess it is "almost suspended".

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#345 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I might follow suit too, with so much content to watch online Netflix,Hulu,YouTube,Amazon,Crackle and PS3 to supplement Sunday Ticket, right know I'm receiving a huge chunk of bill credits and getting helped with the bill I might stay a little while longer while it last, plus there is a lot of tv addicts here LOL.

When you do suspend, check out http://www.playon.tv/. I have a basic license that I purchased years ago (no longer offered) and this discussion motivated me to look into it again. Working pretty well for me although I may add a Roku 2 XS or 2 XD. The biggest challenge is live sports, although I have discovered Big 10 Digital Network which would solve part of the problem for my household. I have good OTA which may suffice for NFL, but the vast majority of Twins games are only on FS North. And I've learned the MLB.tv blacks out all local games.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#346 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

The next question. If I change from the classic package to the current package will I lose my promos, such as free HD and $10 Choice Extra Classic for a year?

I also have the $10 Choice Extra Classic credit -- 10 more months left of that credit for me. So I think I'll stay on the Classic until that credit runs out. Switching to the "new" or "regular" Choice Extra would result in a higher bill before or after the price increase.

#347 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

You can simply view your account and tell if it is on there. Make sure it isn't. You can't be charged for it if it isn't on there. I have no idea why you think they are out to get you.

They aren't out to get you, but there is something clearly wrong in their system.

In the past 2 years I've had to call twice to cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, twice to cancel NBA League Pass, and twice to cancel NHL Center Ice. All 3 packages showed up online in recent activity with something like "Cancel Re-New for season 20XX-20XX" after the first phone call. All 3 subsequently were on my bills as renewing when the season was getting ready to start.

I can easily see how someone who is on autopay calls to cancel, checks online and sees confirmation, but then gets a credit card statement with a DIRECTV charge that's higher than normal but can't cancel the package because it's too late.

It really is pathetic and I can see why people get skeptical of DIRECTV. You can add HBO, upgrade your base package or order a PPV in 2 seconds online. You want to cancel an auto-renew? It's may take 2 separate phone calls.

#348 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

They aren't out to get you, but there is something clearly wrong in their system.

In the past 2 years I've had to call twice to cancel NFL Sunday Ticket, twice to cancel NBA League Pass, and twice to cancel NHL Center Ice. All 3 packages showed up online in recent activity with something like "Cancel Re-New for season 20XX-20XX" after the first phone call. All 3 subsequently were on my bills as renewing when the season was getting ready to start.

I can easily see how someone who is on autopay calls to cancel, checks online and sees confirmation, but then gets a credit card statement with a DIRECTV charge that's higher than normal but can't cancel the package because it's too late.

It really is pathetic and I can see why people get skeptical of DIRECTV. You can add HBO, upgrade your base package or order a PPV in 2 seconds online. You want to cancel an auto-renew? It's may take 2 separate phone calls.

This is exactly the type of BS I'm talking about.

So looking at your bill doesn't even tell you the whole truth of whether it's super for real pinky swear removed? They wouldn't reverse a charge in a situation like this? Sorry, but that makes their billing practices an utter fraud.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#349 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Well the wife demands showtime so I'm going to go from premier to choice xtra+showtime.

I have an HR24 and H24 with MRV. I own an H21 but had it shut off for awhile when I did a family room reno.

I'm not planning to turn it back on. Found an old VCR in the attic when I was putting xmas decorations away. Also found my old IR>RF repeaters in a box in the garage. Bedroom is now a mirror of the H24 in the family room. When I did a reno, I ran new RG-6 so I have two at each outlet. AV cables from H24 go into VCR, and Ch 3 output from VCR backfeeds the upstairs bedroom. Initially was going to use the ipad remote or dtv iremote iphone app or waltz remote, but that dang "your cables are not HD" gets in the way. It times out but I found my IR to RF repeater lets me press and hold EXIT like it says to toggle HD or not.

Beats having to pay a monthly fee for an extra receiver. Good old VCR from the attic came in handy!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#350 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

This is exactly the type of BS I'm talking about.

So looking at your bill doesn't even tell you the whole truth of whether it's super for real pinky swear removed? They wouldn't reverse a charge in a situation like this? Sorry, but that makes their billing practices an utter fraud.

In the case of Sunday Ticket yes they will reverse the charge.

It's all undoable until the season has started. Once the season starts you're on the hook.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#351 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

I just found that a friend of mine was under the impression that the contract he's in prohibits his rate from going up. Ive given him the bad news, didn't take it very well.

#352 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I always appreciate this annual thread as it motivates me to review our viewing habits vs. our programming package. As a result this year I just went from Choice XTRA Classic to Choice and added the HD Extra Pack for 3 months. That's step one.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#353 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I always appreciate this annual thread as it motivates me to review our viewing habits vs. our programming package. As a result this year I just went from Choice XTRA Classic to Choice and added the HD Extra Pack for 3 months. That's step one.

Yeah, I've been on Choice Ultimate since it came out and this price increase (among other things) made me check out the packages and I'll be downgrading to Choice on Monday (I have to load up on Calliou, Thomas and Olive the Ostrich for my son since Sprout is only on Choice Ultimate). Looking forward to the few bucks savings instead of an increase this year! :D

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#354 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Anyone else still waiting for an email from Directv?

#355 OFFLINE   Mikej0530

Mikej0530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

What has me worried. Its not just Directv but everything. The cost of living is increasing and I lost what ever little bit of a raise I did get last year in taxes. I got rid of all my movie channels. but Overall the increase wasn't that bad. I still get all my favorite channels!

#356 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have not received one yet.
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

#357 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Premier to choice Xtra conversion done today. Added show time as my wife requested and DirecTV also offered $5 off a month for HBO (6months) so I added HBO. I also convinced a friend to sign up under me so after his activation I will have a refer-a-friend credit.

Done what I must to manage rising price increases and cost of living expenses with new baby in the house.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#358 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Premier to choice Xtra conversion done today. Added show time as my wife requested and DirecTV also offered $5 off a month for HBO (6months) so I added HBO. I also convinced a friend to sign up under me so after his activation I will have a refer-a-friend credit.

Done what I must to manage rising price increases and cost of living expenses with new baby in the house.

Good for you. Don't forget to sign up for a free 3 month trial of the HD extra pack.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

#359 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

If you receive a paper bill, the notification is in your bill.

If you receive an ebill, the notification is in the ebill.

If you receive an integrated bill (from a telco), you will get a separate email or letter.

Also, communications go out based on when your billing cycle hits. As such, some customers will not be informed until February 6th as their price increase will not kick in until March 7th.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#360 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

In my case we get an e-bill and got a paper notification. (I didn't notice if there was also a notification in the most recent e-bill).

Regardless - I was duly notified.

Kevin

DirecTV since 1995

<><

Protected By... spam firewall...And...