Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Well to save some money to cover the price increase I deactivated a hd 21 receiver and canceled the hd extra pack .The good news is that Directv does not want the hd 21 back. i just have to send them the card in the receiver. I bought a hdmi spliter from Monoprice and it works great . Now I am running 4 HD tv,s with one hd dvr. I live alone so this works for me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

I always appreciate this annual thread as it motivates me to review our viewing habits vs. our programming package. As a result this year I just went from Choice XTRA Classic to Choice and added the HD Extra Pack for 3 months. That's step one.

Great way of looking at it. I actually did something similar. I had Premier and my step 1 was to drop to Choice Extra. I may take it a step further to Choice after I compare the channels.

#363 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Great way of looking at it. I actually did something similar. I had Premier and my step 1 was to drop to Choice Extra. I may take it a step further to Choice after I compare the channels.

I'm doing something similar. I will be downgrading from Ultimate to Choice. I'm also getting rid of HD Extra Pack. What i realized is i will be losing 13 HD channels by dropping down to Choice, however, of those 13 HD channels, most of them i don't watch. Also, by getting rid of Encore, i am losing about 11 channels in SD, which i never watch.
I currently have HBO......and i have Cinemax free to 3 months. What i will do when the free Cinemax promo expires, is keep Cinemax, and either Showtime or Starz. The main purpose being i want most of my channels in HD.

#364 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

... I'm also getting rid of HD Extra Pack...

And as soon as you do, you'll be able to get three months free on line. As for me, bye bye HBO...until September at which point I'll pay for it to see Boardwalk empire.

#365 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

And then three months, three more months and on and on. I honestly thought they'd fix that by now.

#366 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:26 AM

It's really interesting to evaluate pricing and what you really watch and how much you watch. Entertainment may be a viable option. It has the major channels and all that I watch. Yes I will lose a few here and there that I would watch once in awhile but probably won't miss them.

#367 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Entertainment is good for someone with no sports needs. No so great for those with.

#368 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,337 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

That's the point of that package.

#369 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,901 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Sure happy I don't have TWC in LA, 17.6% increase, http://www.dslreport...-Angeles-122946 .

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#370 OFFLINE   purwater

purwater

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

On my bill it says $10 Advanced Receiver HD and in the credits section it says -$10 HD Free Access w/Auto Pay. I've had that since I signed back up in October 2010. I know this is a stupid question, but is this credit effected by downgrading to the Choice or Entertainment Package? Seems like back when I signed up if I got the cheaper packages it was $20 for whole home, and $10 if you selected Choice Xtra or higher. I'm hoping that credit isn't tied to my package and that I can downgrade and keep it. If not it's not worth it to lower my package only to get dinged with a loss of a credit.
Directv HR24-100, HR24-500, & H25.

#371 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,313 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Sure happy I don't have TWC in LA, 17.6% increase, http://www.dslreport...-Angeles-122946 .

Wow, I would be pretty upset to if I was them. The DVR fee went up too and it probably all has a lot to do with the dedicated Dodgers channel. I love sports but that is pretty drastic.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#372 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

On my bill it says $10 Advanced Receiver HD and in the credits section it says -$10 HD Free Access w/Auto Pay. I've had that since I signed back up in October 2010. I know this is a stupid question, but is this credit effected by downgrading to the Choice or Entertainment Package? Seems like back when I signed up if I got the cheaper packages it was $20 for whole home, and $10 if you selected Choice Xtra or higher. I'm hoping that credit isn't tied to my package and that I can downgrade and keep it. If not it's not worth it to lower my package only to get dinged with a loss of a credit.

Hey I signed up a month before you (Sept 2010), and I've had auto bill pay since the beginning. I don't have a $10 HD free with auto pay credit on my bill! That's only good for 24 months isn't it? I'm way beyond 24 months.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#373 OFFLINE   purwater

purwater

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hey I signed up a month before you (Sept 2010), and I've had auto bill pay since the beginning. I don't have a $10 HD free with auto pay credit on my bill! That's only good for 24 months isn't it? I'm way beyond 24 months.

When I signed up I was told the free HD was good for life, but you never know with sat companies, cell companies, etc. That's also why I was worried by changing my package it would trigger a change in that credit.
Directv HR24-100, HR24-500, & H25.

#374 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

It seems as though someone new to Directv won't see a price increase in their package price. However with the Genie I'm paying $10 for it, is it going up to $12?

#375 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

I had TWC in LA up until 10 months ago and switched to DIRECTV. I still have TWC Internet, but my HD bill is a lot lower now. And the 17.5% increase from TWC, from what i am reading, will garner some sales to DirecTV. People will be sick and tired of Sports dictating price increases. Because i downgraded from Ultimate to Choice, i lost NHLHD, NBAHD, Tennis Channel, Golf, etc, but i don't really need it, i still do have NFL and MLB in the Choice. As long as my sports teams in LA are available i'm fine.

#376 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

When I signed up I was told the free HD was good for life, but you never know with sat companies, cell companies, etc. That's also why I was worried by changing my package it would trigger a change in that credit.

If it's Free HD for life, then yes, downgrading your package to choice or Entertainment (and in some cases, Choice Extra), would have you lose it. For clarification, as it is dependent on the new customer offer you had, I would contact customer care.

#377 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

It's free HD for the 1st 2 years....And no price increase if your a new sub it says so in the press release.

#378 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

It's free HD for the 1st 2 years....And no price increase if your a new sub it says so in the press release.

There were various offers. Some existing customers could get free HD for 24 months when the initial Free HD for life (and it is for life, as long as eligiblity is kept, not just 24 month) came out. Then a different new customer offer came out which was Free HD for 24 months in some cases (and free HD for life eventually went away).
--
Free HD for Life was part of new customer offers for a while.

#379 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I think it's the encoding. Even an HR20 only recorded about 30 hours HD when it used MPEG2, went up to 50 hours with MPEG4.

My 722 holds 50 hours of HD also.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#380 OFFLINE   ken100

ken100

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

So if your in your 1st year like me and it's $30 a month it stays at $30 a month, because that's what their ad states. That it is $30 for the 1'st 12 months....The second year is advertised as $10 a month off for months 13 through 24. Looks like my DVR fee will go up though. But even if it goes to $13 a month and my two rooms with clients are $6 each that's only $25 a month for equipment. And my Choice package is only going up $1 a month and not for another 11 months for me, a lot better than Dish Network's $5 increase. Optimum cable in Montana does not have a whole house dvr and charges $12 a month per room plus $6.70 for rental of the dvr and remote each. That's nearly $56.10 a month compared to my new $25 a month, still a huge savings. And Choice at a regular price of $65 is the same as Optimum's package with a similar amount of channels, but they also have taxes and franchise fees that add another $4 or so. And with Dish's $5 price increase there is less difference between Dish and Direct now, but I hated Dish's guide and menu systems, plus they wouldn't give me $10 off for a year and free HBO for a year if I did an upgrade to the hopper with a new 2 year committment, they were only willing to give me a $10 discount for 6 months on programming and no free HBO. So I said good-bye. So I'm ok with the price increase and I feel like I get more high def with Directv. I get the free high def with credit card auto pay for 2 years. After that I will have to negotiate something with them. And I love the $199 Sunday Ticket price for 2013 (same as 2012), if they hadn't lowered it 40% I would not be getting it.

spam firewall