Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

http://www.directv.c...ckageId=1310002

On the English packages page under Entertainment, there's a link just above the HBO/Showtime free for three months mention that says:

"140+ digital channels"

thanks harsh :eek2: :lol:
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

I just posted the PDF on their website...easy to read...and why would any Dish subscriber such as yourself care?

Why wouldn't everyone who consciously monitors their expenditures care??? What one provider tries, the other is almost sure to follow. The crediting against raised fees is part of DISH's plan for 2013 as we saw earlier this month.

I think the PDF reader that I'm using needs to go. It makes for some very difficult to read fine print with that PDF in particular.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#23 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Some observations:

A more readable PDF along with some sample bills might be useful in figuring out all the places a typical subscriber might expect to get hit.

The raising of rates and an issuing of credits towards the increase is confusing at best.

The changes in equipment fees aren't explained by programming content cost increases.

Ultimately, raising the DVR fee has the greatest impact on the home with a single DVR. It would surely be more equitable to raise the receiver lease fee (and reduce the RVU TV fee).

The single greatest expense is programming costs. D* will spend more than $10 billion per year on programming alone. So when your single largest expenditure goes up 10% last year, 8% this year and likely continues in the vein for years to come, it's worth pointing out.

I disagree with the DVR comment for this reason. If you raise the receiver lease fee, you hit all customers and those with more receivers are hit even higher. On a percentage basis, yes you are correct, but on an absolute dollar basis that hits many people far harder. I don't see the RVU fee going down, too much cost built into making that work, customer care related support, etc. Just my two cents.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I disagree with the DVR comment for this reason. If you raise the receiver lease fee, you hit all customers and those with more receivers are hit even higher. On a percentage basis, yes you are correct, but on an absolute dollar basis that hits many people far harder. I don't see the RVU fee going down, too much cost built into making that work, customer care related support, etc. Just my two cents.

What is wrong with those who get more being charged commensurately more? The DVR fee has always been a sore point as it doesn't have much relationship with how much or how little hardware or programming you subscribe to. Like WHDS or RVU enabled TVs, it can't cost dollars per month to support it.

Going forward, I think all providers need to charge where the costs are as opposed to nailing everyone for items that are heavily subsidized (i.e. NFL ST, 3D and even HD). DIRECTV may well be the leader in the game of subsidizing the few by attaching the wallets of the many.

I think somebody (anybody) in the industry needs to stand up for their "with prices starting at" and live by it as opposed to claiming some ridiculously low number and then piling on the subsidizing fees to cover that number. Saying that your price starts at X but that's only if you subscribe to a minimal SD package is not a comparable number in the modern marketplace.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

OK, I am a little confused.

I can readily see that may Choice Extra Classic package will increase by $3.00, but what is this "Advanced Receiver Fee" for $23/$25? Is that for HD + DVR + MRV? I sure hope not because that means the current $21 will increase to $25.

When all is said and done this amounts to nearly a 7% increase for me

I can understand DirecTv having to pay more for programming and in their materials they note about an 8% increase in programming costs, but where does increasing the price of HD, DVR and MRV come from? The HD fee is really part of the previously eluded to programming costs, I have the same DVRs with the same hard drives and my MRV is hard-wired in my home. So hiding these costs as an "Advanced Receiver Fee" charge and raising that fee 19% is baloney.

I call "Shenanigans".

I really do enjoy DirecTv but this is pushing me to seriously consider other options - OTA, Hulu plus, Apple TV to get value.

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,044 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Why wouldn't everyone who consciously monitors their expenditures care???

If someone doesn't subscribe to the DirecTV service...and they don't pay a bill for the service...it seems well beyond reasonable there is no reason to care. :rolleyes:

Therefore, posting feedback on pricing from a Dish subscriber that doesn't use DirecTV flaunts with the concept of trolling.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#27 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

PREMIER™.......... $124.99/mo.

Grandfathered Premier here (DVR fee waived), so its a $5.00 increase for me and to compound the problem my 24 mo. free HD access fee just ended this month. So now a total $15.00 increase. ... :(

Been a sub since '95, so unless I can get some discounts like getting the free HD access fee restored, I'm not going to make it. :nono2:

#28 OFFLINE   storoo379

storoo379

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

The 25/23 WHOLE HOME/GENIE fee includes what ?

Does it include the 10 HD FEE + (EXTRA RECIVER FEES) the 2nd and 3rd and 4th C31 FEE + WHOLE HOME FEE + PROTECTION PLAN FEE + RSN FEE -- or some of these or other fees ?

#29 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

The single greatest expense is programming costs. D* will spend more than $10 billion per year on programming alone. So when your single largest expenditure goes up 10% last year, 8% this year and likely continues in the vein for years to come, it's worth pointing out.

However the increases outpace this cost and that's what causes frustration.

Let's say that programming costs increased $1B this year, with 20 million subs, that averages out to $50 per sub to cover the entire programming increase DirecTv anticipates - thats $4.17/month.

My bill increases by $7 per month between programming and fee costs. So I've covered my portion of the programming costs and more.

#30 OFFLINE   Indiana627

Indiana627

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

As others have asked, what is the "Advanced Receiver Fee?" I have two HR2xs with HD and Whole Home and have never heard of this fee before. Is it for the HR34?
Mark

"We named the dog Indiana."
Family Room: HR24-100; WD10EVCS 1TB drive in Antec MX-1; connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2313CI; 5.1 setup with Boston Acoustics A250 fronts, A225C center, A25 surrounds, ASW650 sub; video to Sony 52W4100 via HDMI; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
Bedroom: HR21-200 with AM21 & Philips PHDTV1 Antenna, HDMI to Dynex 32" TV; hardwired to Linksys WRT54G
(1) Slimline 3 LBN dish (2 lines direct to each HR2x. No multiswitch.)
D* since January 2003

#31 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Let's say that programming costs increased $1B this year, with 20 million subs, that averages out to $50 per sub to cover the entire programming increase DirecTv anticipates - thats $4.17/month.

My bill increases by $7 per month between programming and fee costs. So I've covered my portion of the programming costs and more.

But wait,there's more....
Programming cost are only part of the expense pie. Many other aspects to consider IE:Maintenance cost of equipment,development of new equipment,energy costs to run all the facilities and don't forget employee wages and insurance costs all of which go up every year....:nono2:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#32 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

The Advanced Receiver Fee is currently $20. That includes HD ($10), DVR ($8), and MRV ($3). Yes, the total is $21, but with it all rolled into one line item they discount it to $20.

The new fee will be $23. The DVR fee is going from $8 to $10. With the new fee, it appears that the $1 discount for having everything as one line item will disappear, so most people will see a $3 increase.

For those that pay for each item separately on your bill, I assume that it will continue that way, but you will see a $2 increase in the DVR fee.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#33 OFFLINE   storoo379

storoo379

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

The Advanced Receiver Fee is currently $20. That includes HD ($10), DVR ($8), and MRV ($3). Yes, the total is $21, but with it all rolled into one line item they discount it to $20.

The new fee will be $23. The DVR fee is going from $8 to $10. With the new fee, it appears that the $1 discount for having everything as one line item will disappear, so most people will see a $3 increase.

For those that pay for each item separately on your bill, I assume that it will continue that way, but you will see a $2 increase in the DVR fee.

- Merg

What about people who get the GENIE but only have it hooked up to SD tv's ? do they then reduce the 10 HD fee from it ?

Also what about that promotion they were running -- FREE HD FOR LIFE ? which expires after 24 months (which is shady) is that reduced from the GENIE FEE ? and of FREE HD FOR LIFE EXPIRES (which by legal definition it cant - but companies rarely follow the law) how does one reactivate it ?

#34 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm confused about the "Advanced Receiver" fee. I currently have 2 HD DVRs and 1 HD receiver. I do not have whole-home.

My current bill is as follows. How much will my bill go up?

Advanced Receiver-HD $10.00
Advanced Receiver-DVR $8.00

Additional TV $6.00
Additional TV $6.00
Primary TV $6.00
Primary TV Free -$6.00

#35 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

But wait,there's more....
Programming cost are only part of the expense pie. Many other aspects to consider IE:Maintenance cost of equipment,development of new equipment,energy costs to run all the facilities and don't forget employee wages and insurance costs all of which go up every year....:nono2:

True, and we could look at each one of those costs and develop a strategy to minimize or reduce each one.

But that's why you higher excessively priced CEOs and others far smarter than I to control those costs and creatively manage other expenses to keep the overall cost of the product down. If DirecTv, or any other provider, truly wanted to make a splash in the TV business how about lowering the price of the product while keeping the quality the same.

#36 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yes, and yet a customer with Entertainment and three standard receivers saw $0 increase for 2013.

Different increases in different areas. Entertainment doesn't have RSNs, one of the largest culprits of programming costs. Their prices didn't go up.

I think you are missing other costs as well. It's not just programming, that just happens to be the largest. Licensing fees for technology ranging from middlewear to DVRs to technology improvements, etc. Adding more HD channels, costs lots of money. Adding Directv Everywhere, costs lots of money. Launching a new satellite in 2014 (but building it now), costs lots of money.

So I think you need to add more billions to your numerator. My two cents.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

True, and we could look at each one of those costs and develop a strategy to minimize or reduce each one.

But that's why you higher excessively priced CEOs and others far smarter than I to control those costs and creatively manage other expenses to keep the overall cost of the product down. If DirecTv, or any other provider, truly wanted to make a splash in the TV business how about lowering the price of the product while keeping the quality the same.

That would truly, indeed be a SPLASH!!!!:hurah:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#38 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

All of that is being done, but you can't creatively wipe them all out, they are still going to increase. You can manage them to a point. You don't want to skimp on how to build a satellite or how to build out HD channels, etc.

It would also be really cool if HBO, ESPN, Viacom, Turner, A&E, Liberty, Showtime, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc, etc, wanted to make a splash in the TV business and lower their prices while keeping the quality the same, keep creating new shows, etc. Of course then the actors, writers, producers, directors, etc would have to lower their costs in producing those things. The leagues would have to lower their demands on licensing for sports, etc. You get the idea.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 27 December 2012 - 12:33 PM.

DIRECTV employee

#39 ONLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

I wonder how long before I get squeezed out of my grandfathered package or how much they intend to raise the price on that.

I currently have the Choice Xtra + HD DVR @ $86.99/mo so I am not paying ala carte fees for HD or DVR/Advanced Receiver.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#40 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

As others have asked, what is the "Advanced Receiver Fee?" I have two HR2xs with HD and Whole Home and have never heard of this fee before. Is it for the HR34?

Most new customers in 2012 have the Advanced Receiver fee where all the individual fees are bundled together..HD, MRV, DVR at $20. Customers that came in prior to that may have one or all of those services charged individually. For example, DVR $8, MRV $3, HD $10. It really depends how you receive it on your bill.

If you currently have Advanced Receiver Fee on your bill, then the appropriate change happens. If you don't, then it isn't applicable.
DIRECTV employee

Protected By... spam firewall...And...