Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

I wonder how long before I get squeezed out of my grandfathered package or how much they intend to raise the price on that.

I currently have the Choice Xtra + HD DVR @ $86.99/mo so I am not paying ala carte fees for HD or DVR/Advanced Receiver.

On your bill does it say PLUS HD DVR or something to that effect?
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

On your bill does it say PLUS HD DVR or something to that effect?

Yes it does.

Current Charges for Service Period 12/01/12 - 12/30/12

12/01 12/30 PLUS HD DVR Monthly 86.99

12/01 12/30 DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK Monthly 4.99

08/19 09/18 NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2012 Regular Season in 5 Payments 0.00

12/01 12/30 Advanced Receiver-DVR $8.00/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00

12/01 12/30 DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service Monthly 3.00

Fees

12/02 Additional TV 6.00

12/02 Additional TV 6.00

12/02 Additional TV 6.00

12/02 Additional TV 6.00

12/02 Additional TV 6.00

12/02 Additional TV 6.00

12/02 Primary TV 6.00

Adjustments & Credits

10/31 11/30 Advanced Receiver-DVR Billing Adjustment -10.00 Credit

12/02 Primary TV Free -6.00 Credit

Taxes

Sales Tax 0.77

Communications Service Tax 14.49

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#43 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Yes it does.

Current Charges for Service Period 12/01/12 - 12/30/12

12/01 12/30 PLUS HD DVR Monthly 86.99

12/01 12/30 DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK Monthly 4.99

08/19 09/18 NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2012 Regular Season in 5 Payments 0.00

12/01 12/30 Advanced Receiver-DVR $8.00/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00

12/01 12/30 DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service Monthly 3.00

That will change soon. You will be migrated to CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC and those fees broken out separately. No change in pricing, no change in programming, but just broken out in individual line items rather than bundled into that $86.99 package. Likely by your next bill. Many customers are already going through that process.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#44 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

I can't say I'm surprised. Thanks for the heads up.
--Frank Zappa

#45 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

All of that is being done, but you can't creatively wipe them all out, they are still going to increase. You can manage them to a point. You don't want to skimp on how to build a satellite or how to build out HD channels, etc.

It would also be really cool if HBO, ESPN, Viacom, Turner, A&E, Liberty, Showtime, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc, etc, wanted to make a splash in the TV business and lower their prices while keeping the quality the same, keep creating new shows, etc. They're all linked...there is a food chain here.

There are many monsters here, but since I pay DirecTv, my frustration is directed at them.

I had no intention of making this a bash against DirecTv, and I am well aware of other costs in play,but perhaps the big, bad corporation can do with a little less, especially after I read things like:

"Net income attributable to DIRECTV increased 19% to $2.61 billion in 2011"

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=649162

But then someone would have to look in the mirror and ask a very difficult question, "Who is more important to me - my customers or my shareholders?

#46 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I can't say I'm surprised. Thanks for the heads up.

It's not a bad thing, more of a procedural thing. Part of a streamlining of systems and since it will have no impact on you in terms of pricing or channels, you will be fine. It's basically an elimination of additional SKUs is one way to look at it. More SKUs cost more money in development, more training for agents, etc.
DIRECTV employee

#47 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

There are many monsters here, but since I pay DirecTv, my frustration is directed at them.

The reality is, you are paying all of them....the sports leagues, the producers, directors, actors, the athletes, etc. You really are. One entity is collecting the payment, but you are paying them all.
DIRECTV employee

#48 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

It's not a bad thing, more of a procedural thing. Part of a streamlining of systems and since it will have no impact on you in terms of pricing or channels, you will be fine. It's basically an elimination of additional SKUs is one way to look at it. More SKUs cost more money in development, more training for agents, etc.

I understand and I'm good with it.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. It's preferable to just having the bill show up in a new structure.

Just not entirely sure why the corporation didn't already let me know. But I understand that the bottom line effect is nil and I am not unhappy or surprised. And if in the end streamlining the system gains an efficiency then I'm all for it. Costs lost to inefficiency just get passed on to us.

Thank you, sir.
--Frank Zappa

#49 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

What I find absolutely CRAZY is that it will cost me $16/mo extra to watch hockey (if there ever is a season) and that's just to get my RSN and NBCS. Adding the NHL network is another $7/mo (at least that one is included with Center Ice).

That's the price difference between Entertainment and Choice Extra (the lowest currently available package including RSN's and NBCS).

Perhaps it will just be for the best if my team moves to the great white north.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#50 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

What about people who get the GENIE but only have it hooked up to SD tv's ? do they then reduce the 10 HD fee from it ?

Also what about that promotion they were running -- FREE HD FOR LIFE ? which expires after 24 months (which is shady) is that reduced from the GENIE FEE ? and of FREE HD FOR LIFE EXPIRES (which by legal definition it cant - but companies rarely follow the law) how does one reactivate it ?

HD monthly service is required when HD equipment is active on the account. The only exception to this are customers who are required to have HD equipment to recieve their locals. They can remove it if they wish, but that is the only time. (that is determined by zipcode).
--
The Free HD for life promotion is for life, there is no expiration date on it and the 24 months free HD offer was completely different from it.
--
Some promotions may have eligibility requirements to get them/not lose them/get them back (such as minimum base package, ABP, Paperless billing, etc). If you'd like more info on those requirements then I would contact a customer care agent who should be able to supply you with that information.

Edited by HinterXGames, 27 December 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hmmm i have CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR. Whats my fee increase?

#52 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

So, now my Choice XTRA Classic will finally cost ($1.00) more than the current XTRA package.
Could someone here please remind me what I get in Classic that is no longer in the current XTRA? If I don't want it, I just might want to save a buck going forward.

OK did some digging, and it looks like I now get but would lose Boomerang, Chiller, Sprout, and Style. Did I miss anything?
I'd most miss Boomerang and might be willing to foot the bill just for that.

...I guess it's finally time to watch a few movies and retire our old HR20-700.

Thanks,
- LoopinFool

#53 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

If I have no interest in RSNs, can I opt out and get the lower price? (My guess is "no".) I searched the DTV web site but didn't see this addressed. I would be perfectly happy to not receive any sports channels at all.

Steve

My Setup

#54 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

If I have no interest in RSNs, can I opt out and get the lower price? (My guess is "no".) I searched the DTV web site but didn't see this addressed. I would be perfectly happy to not receive any sports channels at all.

Then again...some of us have no interest whatsoever in perhaps 10, 20, 30, or more of the current other channels...but we all pay for those as well.

That's just the way it works (and has for a very long time).

Perhaps if folks not happy with pricing directed their communications to the actual channel content providers (and their greed) indicating they are not happy about their growing prices each year (which get passed on through DirecTV)...the trend could be slowed.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#55 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

So, now my Choice XTRA Classic will finally cost ($1.00) more than the current XTRA package.
Could someone here please remind me what I get in Classic that is no longer in the current XTRA? If I don't want it, I just might want to save a buck going forward.

OK did some digging, and it looks like I now get but would lose Boomerang, Chiller, Sprout, and Style. Did I miss anything?
I'd most miss Boomerang and might be willing to foot the bill just for that.

...I guess it's finally time to watch a few movies and retire our old HR20-700.

Thanks,
- LoopinFool

I'm in same boat. If D* were really looking to consolidate SKU's, they could eat the extra $1 and sync the channels between XTRA and Choice XTRA classic, and eliminate the old package. Revolutionary, I know :rolleyes:

#56 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

No, not your local RSNs which carry sports for your market. Only the optional sports packages that carry out of market games may you elect not to receive.

#57 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

--
This is part of the problem in my opinion. Networks know this, which is why the power structure is warped. Imo, it's the providers that should have the power as they have the customer base, not the networks. Networks know there are multiple providers that customers can go too, but in most cases, not other networks they can go to, to see original programming (not counting syndication). You know what I mean. :D

#58 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,893 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

... Perhaps if folks not happy with pricing directed their communications to the actual channel content providers (and their greed) indicating they are not happy about their growing prices each year (which get passed on through DirecTV)...the trend could be slowed.

But then the content providers will simply claim that its not about greed or trying to gouge the MSOs to be their cash cows. But that their production costs keep rising on their end.

The "greed" is everywhere putting the whole system in serious jeopardy.

#59 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

The Entertainment package does not include the RSN's but it may not include other channels you do care about.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#60 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

As a Premier sub with an HD DVR, MRV and 2 HD receivers my bill will go up about $10 per month?

If my in-laws (they are in their 70's and very cheap) knew that we paid around $150 per month for TV they would freak out. Another $80 for internet? That would kill them. haha

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

spam firewall