Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

There are many monsters here, but since I pay DirecTv, my frustration is directed at them.

I had no intention of making this a bash against DirecTv, and I am well aware of other costs in play,but perhaps the big, bad corporation can do with a little less, especially after I read things like:

"Net income attributable to DIRECTV increased 19% to $2.61 billion in 2011"

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=649162

But then someone would have to look in the mirror and ask a very difficult question, "Who is more important to me - my customers or my shareholders?

Same can be said for ESPN, local broadcast companies etc etc. Some other providers are increasing prices more than DirecTV. They have to try to please both stockholders and customers, and handle these increases. If they didn't increase this year, or increased by a lower amount, it would eventually catch up.

Only thing you can do is vote by staying or leaving, but the grass isn't always greener.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,621 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have Mas ultra package which is currently 62.99 and it shows 64.99 for new price, is the package I have going to be discontinued or is it the same package but 2 dollar increase including DVR fee?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#63 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hmmm i have CHOICE XTRA™ + HD DVR. Whats my fee increase?

If you have the current choice Extra and DVR service as a seperate charge, then your total would be 4$ (2$ for choice extra and 2$ for DVR service)

#64 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I have Mas ultra package which is currently 62.99 and it shows 64.99 for new price, is the package I have going to be discontinued or is it the same package but 2 dollar increase including DVR fee?

If you have Mas Ultra and DVR at the 8$ charge, then you will see a 4$ difference (2$ on your base and 2$ on the DVR charge)

#65 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

As a Premier sub with an HD DVR, MRV and 2 HD receivers my bill will go up about $10 per month?

If my in-laws (they are in their 70's and very cheap) knew that we paid around $150 per month for TV they would freak out. Another $80 for internet? That would kill them. haha

I'm in the same boat. New price for me will be right at $150 per month minus any discounts I can talk them into. Depending on discounts, I may cut back from Premier.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#66 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,738 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Is there a chart somewhere that lists the old prices vs. the new prices?

#67 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

But then the content providers will simply claim that its not about greed or trying to gouge the Moss to be their cash cows. But that their production costs keep rising on their end.

The "greed" is everywhere putting the whole system in serious jeopardy.

When channel providers demand 20%, 30%, 60%, and even higher percentage price increases...while only 8% is passed on to the consumer via DirecTV...the greed location is extremely clear.

This escalating (the content provider increases) has been going on for several years, and at some point (perhaps soon)...will cause a significant number of consumers to seriously re-think their pay-TV choices and service selections.

It impacts every provider (DirecTV, Dish, cable, and even the Web-based streaming services).
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#68 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Looks like I'll be paying $3 more per month.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#69 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

So, now my Choice XTRA Classic will finally cost ($1.00) more than the current XTRA package.
Could someone here please remind me what I get in Classic that is no longer in the current XTRA? If I don't want it, I just might want to save a buck going forward.

OK did some digging, and it looks like I now get but would lose Boomerang, Chiller, Sprout, and Style. Did I miss anything?
I'd most miss Boomerang and might be willing to foot the bill just for that.

...I guess it's finally time to watch a few movies and retire our old HR20-700.

Thanks,
- LoopinFool

I think you missed NHL NET and CBS sports.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#70 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

What about the old HD fee and the old MRV fee? gone?

HD and MRV fee rolled into DRV for older customers?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#71 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I think you missed NHL NET and CBS sports.

I don't think so. CBS Sports is in the current Choice XTRA list on the web site. NHL NET is not in my "printable current package" from My Account on the web site. Perhaps I do get that one and the list is wrong.

Thanks,
- LoopinFool

#72 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

What about the old HD fee and the old MRV fee? gone?

HD and MRV fee rolled into DRV for older customers?

Don't think so. Customer who currently pay the services seperately will continue to do so, and see an difference of 2$.
--
Customer currently instead getting the 20$ Advanced Reciever charge (which covers all 3 services) will be seeing a 3$ increase, but in totality, both will = 23$.
--
It will be either HD Monthly 10$, DVR 10$ and Whole Home 3$ = 23$ or Advanced Reciever 23$. Hope that helps..

#73 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I understand and I'm good with it.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up. It's preferable to just having the bill show up in a new structure.

Just not entirely sure why the corporation didn't already let me know. But I understand that the bottom line effect is nil and I am not unhappy or surprised. And if in the end streamlining the system gains an efficiency then I'm all for it. Costs lost to inefficiency just get passed on to us.

Thank you, sir.

I believe when it happens you will see something on the bill itself in the right margin that explains the changes.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#74 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'm in same boat. If D* were really looking to consolidate SKU's, they could eat the extra $1 and sync the channels between XTRA and Choice XTRA classic, and eliminate the old package. Revolutionary, I know :rolleyes:

Well, actually, no because there are different numbers of subscribers on each of those packages and different programming deals tie into the number of subscribers per channel. So actually, you couldn't do that without raising costs and your prices even more. The reason why some channels are in Choice Xtra Classic and not Choice Xtra is partly due to cost. They were left in for grandfathered customers but new customers coming forward have to go to a higher tier to get those missing channels, often because they cost a lot more.

To do what you suggest, would mean higher rates.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#75 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Still the best tv service available to me. I have fallen in love with downloads of premium series like Homeland and Game of Thrones. I have been with you since mid 90's.

#76 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Is there a chart somewhere that lists the old prices vs. the new prices?

Current Packages
Family $29.99....remains $29.99
Entertainment $54.99....remains $54.99
Choice $63.99....moving to $64.99
Choice XTRA $68.99...moving to $70.99 (renamed XTRA)
Choice Ultimate $74.99...moving to $77.99 (renamed Ultimate)
Premier $119.99....moving to $124.99

Grandfathered Packages
Total Choice $64.49...moving to $66.49
Choice Xtra Classic $68.99...moving to $71.99
DIRECTV employee

#77 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I wonder how many people read the fine print about any current packages that are being "replaced"...

These packages are no longer available for sale. Customers who currently subscribe to these packages may maintain them as long as their accounts are in “good standing,” as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#78 ONLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

I paid for lifetime dvr service and now pay only for whdvr and advanced receiver--hd. How much will I be charged under the new pricing for these services?
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#79 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

HD and MRV price not going up.

#80 OFFLINE   jason williams

jason williams

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I am subscribed to hbo and showtime at $27 and plan on getting rid of HBO. What do each of the premium channels cost if you only plan on getting just one of them,

Protected By... spam firewall...And...