Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   minorthr

minorthr

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

I'm already at $170 a month. It's getting ridiculous but there is no point complaining about it here.
Setup:
HR24-500
HR20-700
HR24-500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

I am subscribed to hbo and showtime at $27 and plan on getting rid of HBO. What do each of the premium channels cost if you only plan on getting just one of them,

If you only get one, it is $12.99. The more you buy, the bigger the discount. So if you buy two, it is $24.00 ($12.99 + $11.01). If you buy three premiums, it is $34 ($12.99 + $11.01 + $10).

HBO is the outlier in that it is $15.99. That is why you are paying $27 ($15.99 + $11.01).
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#83 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,168 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Well some good news, managed to get the free HD access fee reinstated for another six months past the 2 year offer that ended this month.

CSR said to call back after the six months is up and they'll reinstate it again for another six months.

With the price increase in Feb. that means my bill is now ~$155.00 for a grandfathered Premiere and 5 HD-DVRs (one's an HR34) with WH.

Manageable, but just barely for my finances right now....

Edited by HoTat2, 27 December 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#84 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Um, no.

:hurah:

#85 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Looks like I'm looking at an $8-$10 increase.
TV is getting way overpriced.

Where can we find out if our Zip is under the $2 rsn fee?

#86 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

$23 -$25 for HD DVR and MRV?

Why are we still paying a premium for HD?

Thats basicly the standard.

HBO, what $18 ??? Holy crap!

Maybe Roku, and Time warner can come to a deal and sell us HBO for less.

#87 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I agree, free HD should be standard by now. Let me guess-when we add a 4k receiver, we're going to pay an HD and a 4k fee? lol

#88 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

HBO already said no to that...for now....they don't want to get into a situation where they have to bill customers, have massive call centers to take care of customers, explode their marketing dollars 10X to market to customers, etc, etc. They rely on all those expenses from the providers they have deals with.

HBO is on record saying their product is worth $20 to $25...that's what they believe. On some systems, the price is $20 or more.

Now, HBO Nordic is going over the top in Scandanavia as a test, so anything is possible. Of course if they go that route in the USA, my guess is every distributor of HBO here might say "have fun". Will they be willing to jettison those revenues? Interesting times to be sure.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 27 December 2012 - 06:38 PM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#89 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Looks like I'm looking at an $8-$10 increase.
TV is getting way overpriced.

Where can we find out if our Zip is under the $2 rsn fee?

How many RSNs do you receive as part of your base package?
DIRECTV employee

#90 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

HBO already said no to that...they don't want to get into a situation where they have to bill customers, have massive call centers to take care of customers, explode their marketing dollars 10X to market to customers, etc, etc. They rely on all those expenses from the providers they have deals with.

HBO is on record saying their product is worth $20 to $25...that's what they believe. On some systems, the price is $20 or more.

Well they can keep it. The only thing I watch on HBO is Game of Thrones, and Netflix will have it on Blu Ray soon enough.

#91 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

HBO already said no to that...they don't want to get into a situation where they have to bill customers, have massive call centers to take care of customers, explode their marketing dollars 10X to market to customers, etc, etc. They rely on all those expenses from the providers they have deals with.

Well I know the main cable company in my area is $17.50 currently.

Even thought Directv may look the cheapest, still doesn't mean the content is worth even that fee.

Sure we can all say its not the providers fault, but when is enough enough?

People will cut back and find other ways to watch tv.

#92 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

How many RSNs do you receive as part of your base package?

We have MSG,MSG+,SNY,and YES.

Roots Pittsburgh ,with Sports pack or Premier.

#93 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

We have MSG,MSG+,SNY,and YES.

Roots Pittsburgh ,with Sports pack or Premier.

Because you have Premier, it might skew my answer. What's the zip code? You can PM me if you wish.
DIRECTV employee

#94 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

HBO already said no to that...for now....they don't want to get into a situation where they have to bill customers, have massive call centers to take care of customers, explode their marketing dollars 10X to market to customers, etc, etc. They rely on all those expenses from the providers they have deals with.

Now, HBO Nordic is going over the top in Scandanavia as a test, so anything is possible. Of course if they go that route in the USA, my guess is every distributor of HBO here might say "have fun". Will they be willing to jettison those revenues? Interesting times to be sure.

then why let systems offer an HBO only pack for $20 - $25?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#95 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

$47.00 in monthly fee's including my protection plan.

Thats not much better then cable in my area.

#96 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Because you have Premier, it might skew my answer. What's the zip code? You can PM me if you wish.

18445/Wayne

#97 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I don't have Premier anymore. I have choice ultimate

#98 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I thought that the RSN fee was for new customers only.

#99 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Well I know the main cable company in my area is $17.50 currently.

Even thought Directv may look the cheapest, still doesn't mean the content is worth even that fee.

Sure we can all say its not the providers fault, but when is enough enough?

People will cut back and find other ways to watch tv.

Yup. And if the revenues for all these content providers drops, guess what they are going to do to all these alternative sources?

They're going to jack up the rates there to make up the difference. They need the revenues to pay for their content development. So that overall pie of revenue they need has to come from somewhere and if the vehicle that gives them 70% to 80% is suddenly dropping off dramatically because people seek other ways to get it, well then those other ways will go up dramatically in costs. They aren't going to create Game of Thrones for free. I've been to a few conferences and HBO has essentially come right out and said this.

It's one of the reasons they refuse to do a deal with Netflix. Which, by the way, I hope no one was trying to watch a streaming movie on Netflix on Christmas eve. Ouch.
DIRECTV employee

#100 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

I thought that the RSN fee was for new customers only.

New customers started with it a number of months ago. Existing customers will receive it starting in February. Only areas that have multiple RSNs, about 20% of the country.
DIRECTV employee

Protected By... spam firewall...And...