Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

$2 increased DVR fee, plus package increase if yours is higher than Entertainment.

Thanks! I was unsure about the Advanced Receiver fee.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 713 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Grrr....so I figured I would lower my package to account for the increase and I find out that they are holding me hostage with Sprout :lol: I wonder if I load up my son's DVR with Calliou and Fireman Sam before I change packages if he'd notice we don't have the channel anymore :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#123 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Contracts don't freeze pricing, but if that was the new customer offer when you signed up, then that would be honored.

Yes, i was a new customer coming from TWC and i signed on to DirecTV on the last day of the deal. So even though the rates went up, i'm still getting the first and 2nd year at $44.99 and $64.99........right?

#124 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,533 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Right, they honor the new customer deals. Of course when that expires, your price will go to what the current price for your service is at that time.

#125 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Are you asking "why not let"?

The simple reason is the investment in the equipment and the cost. If D* is spending north of $800 in subscriber acquisition costs to get someone on board to their platform, it would take 40 months (3 + years) just to get that money back on a $20 subscription of HBO...and that would assume all $20 goes to D* which we know wouldn't be the case. So the reality would be a pay back of somewhere along the lines of 5 or 6 years. I don't think customers are going to want to sign up for a 5 year commitment.

Well I can see it going the way of you must pay the full install cost / hardware or must of been a customer for X years then you get a the HBO only plan + maybe a low cost basic fee that covers system costs.

The cable laws let you have limited basic + HBO.

Also what about on line HBO most ISP's do video as well so there CS can take of the load and offer a online HBO add on for say $20-$25.

Well some day the law may force some kind of all a cart system with limited hardware / other fees.

The outlet / mirroring is BS just think of your ISP saying you must pay a mirroring fee / rent our box for each pc / laptop / tablet / ECT in your home.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#126 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Enough! I don't "blame" DirecTV and not unexpected but I have just finally reached my "personal" limit. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

After ~8 years with DirecTV I have scheduled my triple-play FIOS install for 1/3/13. Saving in year 1 $80/month and $60/month in year 2 PLUS (not included in computed savings) getting HBO & SHO which actually adds another ~$27/mo savings (not that I wanted it but it was "included") plus 75/25(?)MB internet up from 15/5MB. Again, not needed but part of the package. Oh, plus a $300 visa gift card and a 2year rate lock which effectively adds another $12/month savings over the 2 year contract which was not included in my computation.

I will miss DirecTV but I have to reduce costs just as I reduced my cell phone from $90+taxes/month on AT&T to $28/month inc taxes on T-Mo prepaid with 3X the data at 2x+ the speed of their LTE (around here anyway).

That's well over $125/MONTH savings between the 2. That's a lot.

Will put DirecTV on "suspension" for the "30 day satisfaction guarantee" on Fios just to be sure.

Only thing I will really miss is my 5 tuner HR34 + 2 tuner HR24 but will still have 4 tuners on 2 DVR's. Not a sports watcher (except local teams) so won't be missing any of that.

#127 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Right, they honor the new customer deals. Of course when that expires, your price will go to what the current price for your service is at that time.

Thank you......much appreciated.

#128 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Grrr....so I figured I would lower my package to account for the increase and I find out that they are holding me hostage with Sprout :lol: I wonder if I load up my son's DVR with Calliou and Fireman Sam before I change packages if he'd notice we don't have the channel anymore :lol:

My three-year-old son has me over the same barrel. Curse you, Sprout!
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#129 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

Enough! I don't "blame" DirecTV and not unexpected but I have just finally reached my "personal" limit. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

After ~8 years with DirecTV I have scheduled my triple-play FIOS install for 1/3/13. Saving in year 1 $80/month and $60/month in year 2 PLUS (not included in computed savings) getting HBO & SHO which actually adds another ~$27/mo savings (not that I wanted it but it was "included") plus 75/25(?)MB internet up from 15/5MB. Again, not needed but part of the package. Oh, plus a $300 visa gift card and a 2year rate lock which effectively adds another $12/month savings over the 2 year contract which was not included in my computation.

I will miss DirecTV but I have to reduce costs just as I reduced my cell phone from $90+taxes/month on AT&T to $28/month inc taxes on T-Mo prepaid with 3X the data at 2x+ the speed of their LTE (around here anyway).

Will put DirecTV on "suspension" for the "30 day satisfaction guarantee" on Fios just to be sure.

Only thing I will really miss is my 5 tuner HR34 + 2 tuner HR24 but will still have 4 tuners on 2 DVR's. Not a sports watcher (except local teams) so won't be missing any of that.

Just curious, but since you say you have an HR-34, I would assume that you would still be in a commitment with DirecTv?
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

#130 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

My Question is , why is it only Directv?

Why not Dish, or Cable, Why only the DMA's with 4 RSN's, I don't get why it matters how many you have.
Its not the customers Fault where they live.

It's not only Directv.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#131 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Do Premier customers in the NY dma have to pay an RSN fee?

Yes, they will.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#132 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I guess its just that time of year again to raise rates. Whether its due to content provider cost increases, higher hardware costs, raises for employees or to increase profits so the stock price rises and upper management gets their maximum bonuses and profits on selling options. It just disappointing that there is a 4%+ increase every year. I remember a simpler time, when there wasn't any satellite providers and cable rates only went up every few years.

This is the last weekend for NFL ST and there is no NHL CI this year. After that its time to breakout the OTA DVR. Then suspend DIRECTV for a couple months, to offset the price increase.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#133 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

I guess its just that time of year again to raise rates. Whether its due to content provider cost increases, higher hardware costs, raises for employees or to increase profits so the stock price rises and upper management gets their maximum bonuses and profits on selling options. It just disappointing that there is a 4%+ increase every year. I remember a simpler time, when their wasn't any satellite providers and cable rates only went up every few years.

This is the last weekend for NFL ST and there is no NHL CI this year. After that its time to breakout the OTA DVR. Then suspend DIRECTV for a couple months, to offset the price increase for the past 2 years.

The timing coincides with all the increases in the contracts providers have with programmers. Most of them are calendarized, so at the beginning of the year the rates go up for D*, Dish, TWC, Fios, etc, etc. Not all deals, but many. This is why you see some providers actually have increases go into effect in December or January. Some have had two price increases in the same year.

Yes, I remember those simpler times as well. I really do. I remember when programming costs were mostly tied to COLA and as such, rate increases were small or even non existent. Then about 6 or 7 years ago (if memory serves), things started to get sideways on many of the programming deals with some big jumps. Then when the economy tanked 5 years ago, many of the programmers weren't getting advertising revenues they used to get so they started to extract dollars from subscribers with higher programming cost demands...they needed to recoup revenues somewhere.

I understand the backlash, but I also look at the value. Avg customer pays less than $3 a day for 200 channels that are on 24/7 on multiple tvs delivering news, sports, entertainment, etc. $3 a day on average. When I look at it through that lens, I know there is tremendous value for the money as well..but that value is measured differently by each person. I don't like coffee, the idea of someone spending $5 on coffee multiple times per day is completely mind boggling to me. But that's me. Everyone see value differently...whether it is coffee, tv, mobile service, or whatever.
DIRECTV employee

#134 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

The timing coincides with all the increases in the contracts providers have with programmers. Most of them are calendarized, so at the beginning of the year the rates go up for D*, Dish, TWC, Fios, etc, etc. Not all deals, but many. This is why you see some providers actually have increases go into effect in December or January. Some have had two price increases in the same year.

Yes, I remember those simpler times as well. I really do. I remember when programming costs were mostly tied to COLA and as such, rate increases were small or even non existent. Then about 6 or 7 years ago (if memory serves), things started to get sideways on many of the programming deals with some big jumps. Then when the economy tanked 5 years ago, many of the programmers weren't getting advertising revenues they used to get so they started to extract dollars from subscribers with higher programming cost demands...they needed to recoup revenues somewhere.

I understand the backlash, but I also look at the value. Avg customer pays less than $3 a day for 200 channels that are on 24/7 on multiple tvs delivering news, sports, entertainment, etc. $3 a day on average. When I look at it through that lens, I know there is tremendous value for the money as well..but that value is measured differently by each person. I don't like coffee, the idea of someone spending $5 on coffee multiple times per day is completely mind boggling to me. But that's me. Everyone see value differently...whether it is coffee, tv, mobile service, or whatever.

Well, I just counted 34 channels of those 200 that I care about. I realize that number is higher for some people, but I'd wager not much. When you look at it through that lens, it doesn't seem like quite a bargain.

I spend a little more for AXS, HDNet Movies, etc and that adds to the total, but like I said, I pay extra for those.

#135 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 950 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

It would also be really cool if HBO, ESPN, Viacom, Turner, A&E, Liberty, Showtime, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc, etc, wanted to make a splash in the TV business and lower their prices while keeping the quality the same, keep creating new shows, etc. . . .

I think an industry of curbing the individual amounts of programmers' brand networks would also be a help. I don't think we actually need 7 HBOs, 8 Cinemaxes, 6 Starzes, 10 Encores, 8 Showtimes (not counting The Movie Channel, The Movie Channel Xtra, and Flix). I think Discovery Communications could consolidate. And it could be done over at A&E Networks and some of the Comcast/NBC Universal brands. It could especially happen with ESPN Networks.

It has a way of adding up, to the padding of the numbers, and being passed on not only in retransmission but to the consumer (who, most likely, doesn't tune in one-third of any cable-television provider's channels lineup to which they are subscribed).

#136 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

Well, I just counted 34 channels of those 200 that I care about. I realize that number is higher for some people, but I'd wager not much. When you look at it through that lens, it doesn't seem like quite a bargain.

I spend a little more for AXS, HDNet Movies, etc and that adds to the total, but like I said, I pay extra for those.

Fair point, though in my family I have my 20 channels of which maybe 4 overlap with my wife's 15 to 20. Our kids have their 15 to 20. So all in all, it ends up being 60 to 80 channels. Then there is the occasional search we do for something that pops up on a network that we never watch, but we're glad it had that movie or show at that time.

Again, to each their own but certainly understand your point.
DIRECTV employee

#137 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

I understand the backlash, but I also look at the value. Avg customer pays less than $3 a day for 200 channels that are on 24/7 on multiple tvs delivering news, sports, entertainment, etc. $3 a day on average. When I look at it through that lens, I know there is tremendous value for the money as well..but that value is measured differently by each person.

When you break it down to a daily cost, yeah, it doesn't look all that bad. $3/day for whatever TV most people watch sounds fair, weather its programming on 2-3 channels or 20-30 out off those 200.

But when you add up the amount of ads, screen bugs, product placement, etc during that programming, things get murky. Its to the point now that other than the News, I'm using the DVR just to avoid the massive amount of ads. But there's no way around the on-screen promos they run or characters suddenly launching into a speech about how wonderful their new Kia SUV is. All of this is destroying the value of the product they're providing.

In the last decade of so subscription TV rates have increased (in my humble estimation) at about twice the inflation rate. And yet the program quality - the actual entertainment value has decreased. The technology has improved dramatically - more HD, better DVRs, on-demand, but the content itself has degraded.

Sports and "reality tv" fans may disagree, but that's my perspective - the costs have risen dramatically, but the satisfaction level has not.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#138 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

The outlet / mirroring is BS just think of your ISP saying you must pay a mirroring fee / rent our box for each pc / laptop / tablet / ECT in your home.

Cable is getting ready to go the same way, which is actually back to the way it was prior to the advent of the "cable ready" television.

It is now permitted for the cable operators to encrypt their signals on all channels, effectively forcing you to have a cable box that must be authorized and activated by the cable company on each TV in order to decrypt and view the programming...at an extra cost per box, of course...and pushing the QAM tuner out of the picture (no pun intended).

Will they do it? What do you think? The stars are all aligned for it.

Edited by HarleyD, 28 December 2012 - 06:14 AM.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#139 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 725 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

Um, no.

I know my post was ten pages back but, I was hardly serious. Anyway, I do get premiums(all of the movie premiums anyway) but get them for Twenty dollars a month through Fios which is a price I can hardly pass up. D* is for Sports in my home...

#140 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,102 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I know my post was ten pages back but, I was hardly serious. Anyway, I do get premiums(all of the movie premiums anyway) but get them for Twenty dollars a month through Fios which is a price I can hardly pass up. D* is for Sports in my home...

I can see for the small 15% of the U.S. served by FIOS...pricing deals for the time being might be tempting where they're available. As those folks who have FIOS TV know, there are pros and cons just like any other service, and after the 1st year the rates jump back up as well.

But this points to a bigger question "Have consumers reached the tipping point on Pay TV pricing?"

Every year new DirecTV and Dish threads are started where we see these very same kinds of posts about rate increases. People complain, a few switch providers, and life goes on. There is little doubt that the rates for every provider will include annual rate increases, even niche providers like FIOS.

What seems to get missed by most people is why the rates are going up at such an accelerating pace, sometimes with major increments. They just see their TV services rates go up.

For those of us that follow that topic all year long and not just at the annual rate change time...we see many numbers of national networks, specialty channels, local affiliates, and sports networks all "demand" (they call it negotiation) rate increases exponentially higher than other costs of services.

Those battles with Gannett, Tribune, ESPN, Disney, and other content providers asking anywhere from 20 - 60% more money per subscriber are hot news for a couple of weeks...and then most people forget about them...until those rate increases are wrapped up in a much smaller rate increase with DirecTV, Dish, Cable, or FIOS.

Until this pattern changes, plan on annual rate increases governed by what the content providers "demand" for their channels.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...