Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

My rate is now locked in for two years(starting in Jan. at least) with the Twenty dollar premium package locked down as well. :)
+WatchESPN and HBOgo on any device.

I hear you and agree though.

Edited by fireponcoal, 28 December 2012 - 09:54 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

So...

I have Choice Xtra Classic (with locals), along with the HD Extra Package, and six DNS feeds (CBS, The CW, and ABC). HD, DVR, WHDVR, and multiple receivers.

I saw no mention of the HD Extra package or DNS feeds going up, so it looks like I'm in for a $5.00 increase... :(

I see no reason to complain. We all knew it was coming. I'm under a two year contract, so I'll obviously be sticking around, but as usual, every price increase with DirecTV brings me that much closer to cancelling one year soon.

I'd seriously consider switching to the Entertainment package if that package included a couple of MUST-HAVE channels that I currently receive, but alas, it includes quite a few channels I don't care about, and doesn't include several of the most important ones needed at this household, so it's not really a good option for me.

#143 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Luckily I have 54 dollars worth of bill credits that some will expire next month and try to negotiate for more credits if I can, even if they expire some family members and other people in this household is helping pay the bill, if that didn't happen I would of cancel a long time ago which I still might consider knowing how some of the same programming or movies I can watch online.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#144 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Enough! I don't "blame" DirecTV and not unexpected but I have just finally reached my "personal" limit. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

After ~8 years with DirecTV I have scheduled my triple-play FIOS install for 1/3/13. Saving in year 1 $80/month and $60/month in year 2 PLUS (not included in computed savings) getting HBO & SHO which actually adds another ~$27/mo savings (not that I wanted it but it was "included") plus 75/25(?)MB internet up from 15/5MB. Again, not needed but part of the package. Oh, plus a $300 visa gift card and a 2year rate lock which effectively adds another $12/month savings over the 2 year contract which was not included in my computation.

I will miss DirecTV but I have to reduce costs just as I reduced my cell phone from $90+taxes/month on AT&T to $28/month inc taxes on T-Mo prepaid with 3X the data at 2x+ the speed of their LTE (around here anyway).

That's well over $125/MONTH savings between the 2. That's a lot.

Will put DirecTV on "suspension" for the "30 day satisfaction guarantee" on Fios just to be sure.

Only thing I will really miss is my 5 tuner HR34 + 2 tuner HR24 but will still have 4 tuners on 2 DVR's. Not a sports watcher (except local teams) so won't be missing any of that.

In two years do change to Dish? They all offer a great price to start then its more of the same.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#145 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Isn't it amazing the expenses we pay that our parents' generation didn't have. Pay TV, multiple cell phones, Internet service...no wonder it was easier to survive on one income. Not necessarily easy, but easier.

#146 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

Isn't it amazing the expenses we pay that our parents' generation didn't have. Pay TV, multiple cell phones, Internet service...no wonder it was easier to survive on one income. Not necessarily easy, but easier.

I pay over 200 a month that I did not pay when we got Married.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#147 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

The timing coincides with all the increases in the contracts providers have with programmers. Most of them are calendarized, so at the beginning of the year the rates go up for D*, Dish, TWC, Fios, etc, etc. Not all deals, but many. This is why you see some providers actually have increases go into effect in December or January. Some have had two price increases in the same year.

Yes, I remember those simpler times as well. I really do. I remember when programming costs were mostly tied to COLA and as such, rate increases were small or even non existent. Then about 6 or 7 years ago (if memory serves), things started to get sideways on many of the programming deals with some big jumps. Then when the economy tanked 5 years ago, many of the programmers weren't getting advertising revenues they used to get so they started to extract dollars from subscribers with higher programming cost demands...they needed to recoup revenues somewhere.

I understand the backlash, but I also look at the value. Avg customer pays less than $3 a day for 200 channels that are on 24/7 on multiple tvs delivering news, sports, entertainment, etc. $3 a day on average. When I look at it through that lens, I know there is tremendous value for the money as well..but that value is measured differently by each person. I don't like coffee, the idea of someone spending $5 on coffee multiple times per day is completely mind boggling to me. But that's me. Everyone see value differently...whether it is coffee, tv, mobile service, or whatever.

You can always apply the "Reduce-To-Ridiculous" sales technique to make something sound inexpensive. And I do fit the $3/day average you mention, which is not a bad value. I just liked it better when it was $2/day.

I would actually hate to go back to the content offered during the simpler time I mentioned. Back to a time when a transplanted sports fan could hardly ever watch his or her favorite team on TV. Even though it was closer to a $1/day back then, with only 33 stations, the cost/station was more then double the current cost.

I did a search for an old cable channel lineup and found one for a cable company I once had, Storer Cable. Here is a link to an article from 1993 announcing a change in the channel line up. Here is part of the article showing pricing:

Storer Cable subscribers, accustomed to flicking their remote controls to one set of channels, may have noticed some changes earlier this week.

That`s because the cable company changed the channel lineup to group together broadcast networks and cable networks by category, said Scott Norwood, state manager for Storer/TCI.

The change affects Storer customers in north Dade and southwest Broward, including Pembroke Pines and Miramar.

In addition, the changes were made to make way for a new level of service.

The new level -- known as basic service -- consists of 12 channels and costs $10 per month. It was created so the company would comply with new cable legislation that went into effect on Thursday.

The 1992 Cable Act requires cable companies to offer a low-cost, basic level of service.

Storer`s 12-channel basic service consists of broadcast, public, educational and government access channels.

Customers can purchase another level -- so-called expanded basic -- to get 21 additional channels, including ESPN, USA, TNT, Discovery, WTBS, Nickelodeon and CNN. It costs $23.45 per month.

And subscribers back then seemed to complain as much as we do in this article.

"I have to pay almost $2 more for a bunch of stuff I don't want," said Jeffrey D'Annolofo of Pembroke Pines. "I don't feel, as a consumer, that I have any choice here. It doesn't seem fair."

He and others will see rates from TCI of South Florida go up by $1.79. TCI's south Broward customers will get five new channels: E! Entertainment, Country Music TV, CSPAN2, Mind Extension University and TV Guide on Screen.

"It's a bunch of junk," D'Annolofo said.

Edited by RACJ2, 28 December 2012 - 11:08 AM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#148 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,282 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

So, the more things change, the more they remain the same?? :lol:

Plus ça change.....

Certainly the complaints haven't changed a lot!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#149 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

My bill will be $155, while the additional and primary TV fees remains the same.

#150 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I still have Choice XTRA Classic myself. But, I see XTRA is cheaper? I can never remember how it works out. I believe it is best to stay in the grandfathered package yes?

#151 OFFLINE   Spoonman27

Spoonman27

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

The problem I have with the rising costs is ESPN paying so much for programming and then trying to pass it along without us having a choice. I'm a sports fan but I wouldn't pay $8 a month for ESPN (or whatever distributors would charge after marking up ESPN's fees) except maybe during football season. I realize that my example is simplified but the point is these sports providers are essentially bidding on our behalf and if they overpay they just pass it on to us without most people realizing what has happened. And this will probably continue as long as people go nuts when a channel is removed from their lineup. I'm a huge Pac 12 fan (I even added Comcast solely for that channel for three months) but I don't have a big problem with directv saying "no thanks on your offer" because I'm sick of this cycle. At least with HBO you are dealing directly with them and if they raise prices you can easily opt out.

#152 OFFLINE   LoopinFool

LoopinFool

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I still have Choice XTRA Classic myself. But, I see XTRA is cheaper? I can never remember how it works out. I believe it is best to stay in the grandfathered package yes?

HERE is a post where I shared the channels I found XTRA Classic has that XTRA doesn't.
It's up to you whether they are worth an extra $1.00/mo to you.

- LoopinFool

#153 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

+1 to Spoonman's comments

I'm a huge sports fan....and would really miss ESPN if it disappeared. But the rates are getting out of hand, and I really don't blame DirecTV anymore.

And as much as I'd love to have CSN Houston to see the Rockets play more often....I've got DirecTV's back on not paying $3+ per month for that channel....it just isn't worth that much.

PS -- Kudos to Sat Racer and the other DirecTV folks on this thread for taking the abuse with an understanding smile.

#154 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

+1 to Spoonman's comments

I'm a huge sports fan....and would really miss ESPN if it disappeared. But the rates are getting out of hand, and I really don't blame DirecTV anymore.

And as much as I'd love to have CSN Houston to see the Rockets play more often....I've got DirecTV's back on not paying $3+ per month for that channel....it just isn't worth that much.

PS -- Kudos to Sat Racer and the other DirecTV folks on this thread for taking the abuse with an understanding smile.

I have my virtual kevlar force field on. :)
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#155 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I would love to be able to unsubscribe to ESPN. It will one day approach a 'premium' price and I think we should have the option to remove that from our channels. I think any channel's programming costs that are over $5 a month should be 'a la carte'.

#156 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

I can't figure out their pricing scheme.

I have 2 HR24s 1 H24 and 1 H21 with MRV and Choice Extra.

How much will my bill change in 2013. I know the programming won't be much, but i can't figure out how much more I will be paying in equipment and DVR/MRV fees.

How much would I be paying if I got them to give me a Genie and 3 clients in exchange for my current equipment?

Thanks as always.

#157 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

How much will my bill change in 2013. I know the programming won't be much, but i can't figure out how much more I will be paying in equipment and DVR/MRV fees.

How much would I be paying if I got them to give me a Genie and 3 clients in exchange for my current equipment?

Thanks as always.

Choice Extra is going up $2. The DVR fee is also going up $2. If you currently have the bundled option (HD + DVR + WH) that's also going up $1.

So, your total bill will be going up $5.

As for your second part, it's a bit too vague. Your monthly costs would be the same as they are now, but there would obviously be an equipment charge.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#158 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I would love to be able to unsubscribe to ESPN. It will one day approach a 'premium' price and I think we should have the option to remove that from our channels. I think any channel's programming costs that are over $5 a month should be 'a la carte'.

My understanding with ESPN and this may be an issue with others, is ESPN requires a certain penetration rate of the customer base. Something rediculous in the 90's.
--
If that is indeed the case, it would explain why you see few packages without it and not available as a premium option, and may prevent this from happening in the future. If i'm wrong on the penetration thing, i'm sure someone will correct me.

#159 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks as always.

If you have HD Monthly (10$), Whole home (3$), and DVR (8$) as seperate charges on your bill., then you will see a 2$ increase with DVR and with Choice Extra (current) another 2$ change, so a total of 4$ in increases.
--
If you have 'Advanced Reciever' as a charge on your bill at 20$, then that is seeing a 3$ change and you will see a difference of 5$.
--
As you can see both customers with Seperate charges for the 3 services or the single Advanced Reciever charge, will both being going to a total cost of 23$ for all 3 of the services. They will just be listed differently for people, depending on when they signed up.

#160 OFFLINE   bakerd

bakerd

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Contract? When I signed up it was a 2 year contract for a bundle, they gave me a monthly bundle price for the 1st and 2nd year. The 1st year, the monthly price was somewhat higher, after quite a bit of hassle, got credit for most of the overage. The 2nd year the price of the bundle was A LOT higher. After many inquiries, DirecTV basically said my promotion period was over and they could charge whatever their price structure was - that they had no record of what I was quoted. Now it looks like it's going up more in the 2nd year. So, what is this "contract"? On my side, I am locked in for 2 years; on their side, they can charge what they want, and I have to pay it, and if I want to get out because they are charging more then quoted I pay THEM penalties???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...