Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 DIRECTV Price Increases

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

So, what is this "contract"? On my side, I am locked in for 2 years; on their side, they can charge what they want, and I have to pay it, and if I want to get out because they are charging more then quoted I pay THEM penalties???

Correct.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#162 OFFLINE   bakerd

bakerd

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, I'm not sure it was intended, but at least you made me chuckle.

#163 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I hope no one is under the misapprehension that the "contract" protects both parties.

These contracts may as well have been written by Tony Soprano's lawyers.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#164 OFFLINE   bakerd

bakerd

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Oh, great, now I have all sorts of new ideas of what happens if I don't pay...

#165 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thanks, I'm not sure it was intended, but at least you made me chuckle.

--
This is from the customer agreement: Our Programming Changes. Many factors affect the availability, cost and quality of programming and may influence the decision to raise prices and the amount of any increase. These include, among others, programming and other costs, consumer demand, market and shareholder expectations, and changing business conditions. Accordingly, we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time.
--
You can see the agreement at: http://www.directv.c...tomer_agreement

#166 OFFLINE   bakerd

bakerd

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

So if I may paraphrase: We shall charge what we want, and you shall pay.
If you do not pay what we want, you shall pay.
Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer.

#167 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Oh, great, now I have all sorts of new ideas of what happens if I don't pay...

Well, the good news is that you would probably eventually prevail in court as a jury is highly unlikely to back DirecTVs view of the contract terms.

The bad news is eventually is a long time away, the collection agencies will have had a lot of fun with you, and your lawyer costs would far exceed the amount of the early termination fee, so you might as well just live out the contract. :nono2:

#168 OFFLINE   bakerd

bakerd

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Maybe there is a law firm that will take it on for the thousands that have been defrauded, collect millions, and the distribute the pennies that are left...

#169 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Maybe there is a law firm that will take it on for the thousands that have been defrauded, collect millions, and the distribute the pennies that are left...

If there were a basis for claiming fraud, you can bet your sweet a** that some schemer would start a class action suit, and you're right about the distribution....

But there's not a hint of fraud here. Misunderstanding by some customers, yes, but not even deception, much less fraud. That's an ugly word.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#170 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Except the customers were not defrauded..

lrn2readcontractsbeforesigningthem.

#171 OFFLINE   bakerd

bakerd

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

OK, to quote one price, then charge another is generally considered "bait and switch", is at best misleading, and at worst, if you could prove intent, fraud...

#172 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I am a sports fan and not in dire need of ESPN. I'd miss things for sure but could live with the loss to be honest. Even the ESPNtoGo I wrote about getting with Fios above.

#173 OFFLINE   KoRn

KoRn

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thank you!

HERE is a post where I shared the channels I found XTRA Classic has that XTRA doesn't.
It's up to you whether they are worth an extra $1.00/mo to you.

- LoopinFool

#174 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

OK, to quote one price, then charge another is generally considered "bait and switch", is at best misleading, and at worst, if you could prove intent, fraud...

No it isn't. Prices and availability have always been subject to change with every single service provider. This is nothing new. We've had a couple of decades to get used to it.
DTV = Digital Television

#175 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Did you read post 165?

And Bait and Switch is generally getting someone interested in a product, or store, by offering a low price, then telling the prospect you're out of it, but here's a better thing, yeah, more expensive, but worth it.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#176 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Man.......with Premier this is pushing me ever close to the $200/mo threshold. I dont want to change anything about my setup/programming but this is getting to the point where I might have to.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#177 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Can someone tell me what 5 channels I am missing by having Plus HD DVR instead of Choice Xtra because I can not seem to find them but am curious if I should stay on this same grandfathered package.

DirecTV Packages.jpg
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#178 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

To be completely fair, your contract only commits you to continued service of some sort for two years. There is nothing in it that would prevent you from changing to a lesser package and thus decreasing the amount of profit you are giving them. Even if they had not raised the base prices you are still free to decrease (or increase) the level of service you subscribe to. Just as long as you subscribe in some form for two years.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#179 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

To be completely fair, your contract only commits you to continued service of some sort for two years. There is nothing in it that would prevent you from changing to a lesser package and thus decreasing the amount of profit you are giving them. Even if they had not raised the base prices you are still free to decrease (or increase) the level of service you subscribe to. Just as long as you subscribe in some form for two years.

To be fair to DirecTV, they honor the agreed to price for the first year. The complaints of new subscribers who "agreed" to a price less than 12 months ago seeing an increase are unfounded. They will see the increase AFTER their first year has ended (when their promotional price ends).

#180 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

So if I may paraphrase: We shall charge what we want, and you shall pay.
If you do not pay what we want, you shall pay.
Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer.

It's nothing new and is standard language. You'll find the exact same language in the customer agreements of all the service providers. I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...