Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remove "Sexting in Suburbia" From Guide???

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

IMHO the OP's concern is over the top considering the violence and tabloid celebrity news that flows non stop from the network news media.

My kids are in their 20's and I would not have been remotely concerned with the word sexting

There's a power button on the remote control

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   needsleepido

needsleepido

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

IMHO the OP's concern is over the top considering the violence and tabloid celebrity news that flows non stop from the network news media.

My kids are in their 20's and I would not have been remotely concerned with the word sexting

There's a power button on the remote control

My concern is not over the top. It is quite reasonable. The concern is the following:

1. When my kids are watching a children's movie on ABC Family, if the guide is selected an ad for "Sexting in Suburbia" appeared in the top spot in the guide. The ad was in bright pink which automatically attracted my 6 year old daughter's young eyes..

2. ABC Family has run all sorts of children's movies over the holidays and the ad has been there for at least a week.

3. I don't include Lifetime Movie Network in my custom favorites but I get an ad for it anyway in the guide.

4. I have used all the parental controls and don't include channels in my custom favorites that have questionable titles, however, this ad defeats all of that.

When my 6 and 9 year old is in the room we don't watch content that is not appropriate for them, we just don't. We also monitor the local and national news and we change the channel or turn the TV off quite often. Protecting the innocence of children this age is not over the top. If my children were in their 20's this wouldn't be an issue for them.

#23 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

My reference to my kids age was only that I was not a "Non Parent" however I would not have been the least concerned with what you are on your soap box about refardless of age or gender

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#24 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

2. ABC Family has run all sorts of children's movies over the holidays and the ad has been there for at least a week.

ABC Family does have a special advertising policy that only applies this time of the year, and has sent multiple reminders over the past month because of violations by various providers, so you might want to complain to them. However, I'm not sure if the policy extends to banner ads in the guide or if it's just limited to the ads inserted by the provider during the local breaks.

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,596 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

When my 6 and 9 year old is in the room we don't watch content that is not appropriate for them, we just don't. We also monitor the local and national news and we change the channel or turn the TV off quite often. Protecting the innocence of children this age is not over the top. If my children were in their 20's this wouldn't be an issue for them.

How bout not using the Guide at such times? Or use the mini guide. Or Quicktune to a select group of channels such as PBS. Or have the parents use List to choose from a carefully selected set of appropriate programming. Or use a neutral web based guide such as Titantv.com.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall