Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20-100 Losing OTA ability?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

My HR20-100 (in service since Sept 07) has lost the ability to see any OTA channels. I really do not know when this happened, but since D* is in "negotiations" w/ my local CBS, I thought I would take out the old antenna and set it up in case the negotiations failed.

I have tried re-doing the Antenna setup, but this did not help at all? Any suggestions?

If I call under the protection plan, could I just have them send me an AM-21 to be used with my HR21 or HR24?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Did you try a reset of the receiver after connecting the antenna ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

What exactly is not working? Error messages?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Jimmie: I just tried it. No change.

litzdog911: "Searching for signal on the off-air tuner ... (792)".

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,193 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Does hooking the re-setup antenna to the TV directly yield the proper result?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Verify your antenna connection is good, possibly by connecting it directly to your tv and tuning the OTA channels that way if you have the ability. Once you've verified your antenna is still pulling the stations, and when reconnected your HR20 doesnt work, chances are the OTA tuner(s) in your HR20 have failed. Since the HR20 has a built-in OTA tuners, you cant use an AM21 with an HR20, but it would work with your other models, but I would assume the PP would only recover replacement of the failing HR20, and not send you out an AM21, since it appears you do not have one and the AM21 last I heard was not ever covered by the protection plan unless you have that new Premier coverage plan that covers all electronics that I believe just recently became available.

#7 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Unfortunately, the TV that it is connected to does not have a digital tuner. The IRD is used primarily as a source for the Slingbox and as an additional set of tuners and hard drive for the WholeHome setup.

I can try moving the IRD to a TV that has a digital tuner (which I know does pick up some locals OTA) to eliminate the physical location of the IRD as the issue.

Is it worth even asking for an AM-21 instead of a replacement HR20? There is so much on that DVR that I really do not want to have to lose and setting up those recording again will be a huge PITA. Additionally, the last replacement I got through PP was physically damaged with scratches and dents and requesting a device that has not been mfg'd in 5 years would practically guarantee that I am getting someone else's problems.

Could I even request an HR24+AM-21?

#8 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,639 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

The HR20's are being phased out, so you won't get another HR20 as a replacement. You would get a different HR2x model and since it won't have OTA capability, DirecTV would (according to many people) send you an AM21 for free.

Which HR2x model you get is up to the luck of the draw.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Have you verified that your off-antenna connection is good? What type of antenna is it? How far away are the transmitters?

When you check the Off-Air Antenna Signal Readings in the SAT & ANT SETUP menu, do you get readings on any of the channels?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#10 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Any chance you reconnected the OTA antenna to the wrong place, Eric??? The input for the RF remote antenna on the HR20 looks like the antenna input (F connector), and if you don't have an antenna on the correct input, you'd get the results you're describing since there wouldn't be any signal for the OTA tuners.

I agree, the built in OTA tuners and your past recordings are a good reason to keep the HR20 if you can. It actually isn't that bad of a receiver other than the fact it doesn't do 3D (who cares).

#11 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I actually had the antenna in the RF antenna jack, however moving it to the right place did not make it work.

Now, I can get a signal when I do the signal meters (pegged at 100% on every channel), but when I tune to any OTA channel, I get the 792 error.

Time to call PP?

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

I actually had the antenna in the RF antenna jack, however moving it to the right place did not make it work.

Now, I can get a signal when I do the signal meters (pegged at 100% on every channel), but when I tune to any OTA channel, I get the 792 error.

Time to call PP?

792 Antenna Problem Loss of signal from over-the-air antenna.

Maybe now a reset ? I am just guessing here since I do not have one of these.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Time to call PP?

You probably have to go through the OTA setup process. It's quite possible that some channels have changed frequencies since you last had them connected or you could have scrambled the tuning info if you did a setup with no signal. Do a power-down reset and then run the antenna setup and see what happens. Not time to call quite yet!

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

There is also a slight chance that you have too much signal, which can cause the same problem that multipath interference causes and prevent signal lock. I have found that a really good tool to check this is a variable attenuator from RatShack. Costs about $9 and is returnable if it doesn't help you.

With the attenuator in place, you should be able to watch the signal quality meter and slowly adjust from one end (0 dB attenuation) to the other (20 dB attenuation). If the signal level slowly goes down as you raise the attenuation from low to high, then that indicates that you are probably receiving the proper signal level (and probably do not need the attenuator). If, on the other hand, the signal first starts to go up and then go back down as you adjust from high to low, that indicates too much signal and you should peak the signal quality using the attenuator in line and leave it there. With luck, that will also yield a picture. You may also need an FM trap, which in my case raised my signal quality numbers about 5 tics and yielded a more-solid reception.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...