Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can't Update Software On H24-700

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

. . after pulling the power cord for a few hours, I attempted to force the reload without success.

Speaking of a swap, would they handle by mail (UPS) or will a tech need to come out?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, but then if the HDMI port goes out, I wold also say its not operating as it should, and we know they disagree on that.

I had seen posts a while back where they were doing swaps for bad HDMI ports now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

. . after pulling the power cord for a few hours, I attempted to force the reload without success.

Speaking of a swap, would they handle by mail (UPS) or will a tech need to come out?

They'll send the replacement via FedEx. If they refuse to replace it then contact Ellen's office, ellen.filipiak@directv.com.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I would suggest you call and go thru the repair Questions and then perhaps they will suggest a service vist and then you will get a Swap out of the same type of receiver H24 for a H24 and they will look and rework your system over as well.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#25 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

. . . the last thing I want is a tech "reworking" my system :(

#26 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:34 AM

. . . the last thing I want is a tech "reworking" my system :(

It's the last thing we want to do too...

I have only seen one HD receiver that wouldn't do a software download, that was an HR34 that got stuck at 96 percent every time. Replaced.

On SD systems if the IRDs can't do downloads (status bar stays at 0 receiver times out) the LNB is bad. Signal readings across the board will be excellent.

You could try moving the receiver to a different location.

I'd recommend having a Tech out try replacing the LNB and if that doesn't work the IRD.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I wouldn't think the LNB would be the issue, all the other boxes update fine.

#28 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just called DirecTV . . they are sending a tech out next Saturday . . hopefully this will be "positive" experience . . .

#29 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Just called DirecTV . . they are sending a tech out next Saturday . . hopefully this will be "positive" experience . . .

Well, If nothing else you will get a H24 for a H24 :) Let us know how it goes.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#30 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Try entering the 02468 when the front panel lights come on whether or not the blue screen is up. Press the buttons one after the next but don't so fast that the IR signals may not be received.

Of course if the latest version isn't in the stream it won't work. Given enough time it'll update itself so unless you're having some problems I wouldn't worry about too much.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#31 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Try entering the 02468 when the front panel lights come on whether or not the blue screen is up. Press the buttons one after the next but don't so fast that the IR signals may not be received.

Of course if the latest version isn't in the stream it won't work. Given enough time it'll update itself so unless you're having some problems I wouldn't worry about too much.

Mike

He's tried the 02468 deal, didn't work. It's also been over a week and no update. Something ain't right.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#32 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

He's tried the 02468 deal, didn't work. It's also been over a week and no update. Something ain't right.

Yes, I know that. I did actually read the post. :)

<snip>In addition to keeping the receiver on overnight, I have also attempted multiple times to do a forced upgrade (hitting the red reset button and then entering the 02468 command upon getting the blue screen).
<snip>

However, waiting for the first blue screen usually doesn't work for me. I figured that since entering the code when the front panel lights come on works best for me I'd see if his problem is timing.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#33 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I can get to the Software Download screen all day long . . the issue is that once it gets to that screen, %completion remains at 0% for 15 minutes without advancing, and then the restart continues until completion.

For sh!ts and giggles, I did try the suggestion to enter the code right after the panel lights come on . . that seems to be premature and won't get me to the Software Download screen . . I have to wait until the blue screen shows on the TV.

Hopefully the tech will do a swap and not be tempted to fix everything else that it not broken . . .

In over fifteen years of having DirecTV, I only had techs come out to the house twice. Both times where to install "free" receivers. Neither experience was positive. I have purposely incurred the extra expense of upgrading (dishes, LNBs, SWMs, receivers) by doing the work myself to avoid having a tech come out. I am sure there are good ones out there, but my limited experience has been bad . . .

I'll keep everyone posted on the result of the visit next Thursday . . .

#34 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I can get to the Software Download screen all day long . . the issue is that once it gets to that screen, %completion remains at 0% for 15 minutes without advancing, and then the restart continues until completion.

Assuming your connections and the sat signal levels are OK when checking them on that unit...it sounds like it needs to be replaced.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Well, If nothing else you will get a H24 for a H24 :) Let us know how it goes.

Not necessarily.

#36 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

Have you run the system test to see if there is anything reported from the STB?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Yes. I have gone into Diagnostic Mode (Hit Select after RBR) and ran through all the tests. All passed. I also did the Coax test and that passed. All diagnostics were run twice.

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

One "last thing" I'd try is running the diagnostic tests.
Reboot and at the "receiver running self test" screen press select to enter into the menu.
Run the guided test.
It may show the defect, or not.

Guess I was slow to post. :lol:

Sounds like the box is Tango Uniform and needs swapping.
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Not necessarily.

100% Better Chance than by having it Shipped
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#40 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I have a requirement for 3D and a RF remote . . . so there will be a problem if I don't get a H24 as a replacement. . .

Protected By... spam firewall...And...