Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can't Update Software On H24-700

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I have a requirement for 3D and a RF remote . . . so there will be a problem if I don't get a H24 as a replacement. . .

Why not an H25?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have a requirement for 3D and a RF remote . . . so there will be a problem if I don't get a H24 as a replacement. . .

I thought the H21 up were 3D and RF compatible?

#43 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Any of the current H2x receivers will do 3D and RF.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#44 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Of course a DECA would be needed if it isn't a 24.

#45 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

The HR25 does not have RF remote capabilities . . . good point on the Hxx series and 3D. I'll just need to plan on pitching a fit if I'm not offered a H24 as a replacement (especially in light of shelling out $100 less than 3 weeks ago to esure I got a H24). :)

#46 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

It's not built into the 25, but is rf compatible, just needs the dongle.

#47 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Folks,

I had my DirecTV service call this morning . . .

First, I wanted to say this was probably the MOST POSITIVE visit that I have ever had by a service tech from any company. He was very knowledgeable and did a complete and thorough check up of my system. Following the conclusion of the visit, he also provided me with his cellphone number (a new policy of the DirecTV service vendor in this area) with the understanding that if I experience any technical problems in the next 3 months, I should contact him directly.

The tech's immediate diagnosis was that my H24 was defective. He provided me with the option of either replacing it with a H24 or H25 (they don't have older, outdated models on the truck). I told him I wanted to to stick with a H24. When he connected the replacement H24, it strangely also would not take a forced download of the software (even with multiple attempts).

The tech then went back to his truck and grabbed a H25. Within seconds, it took the software download. The tech's conclusion is that DirecTV may be having a software download feed issue with the H24.

I am now glad that DirecTV sent a tech instead of just sending me a replacement H24. It looks like the H24s "may" currently be having an issue that would not have been resolved with getting a like model for replacement . . . or I would have gotten an older, outdated receiver.

At least for now, I am very happy with the H25, and in hindsight, it should have been the model I ordered. It is noticeably faster than the H24.

I mentioned to the tech that the reason I went with the H24 was that it had RF remote control capabilities. He went back out to his truck and grabbed me an RF dongle, as well as an RF remote (which I was planning to purchase in the future). Both were given to me free of charge.

So far, this has been a happy ending to my issue ! ! ! !

If there are any daring forum members with an H24, I'd be very interested in the results of what your experience is if you attempt to force a download.

#48 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

PJ--

Great outcome! You'll love the '25- or maybe you already do..

Good luck!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#49 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,875 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Folks,

I had my DirecTV service call this morning . . .

First, I wanted to say this was probably the MOST POSITIVE visit that I have ever had by a service tech from any company. He was very knowledgeable and did a complete and thorough check up of my system. Following the conclusion of the visit, he also provided me with his cellphone number (a new policy of the DirecTV service vendor in this area) with the understanding that if I experience any technical problems in the next 3 months, I should contact him directly.

The tech's immediate diagnosis was that my H24 was defective. He provided me with the option of either replacing it with a H24 or H25 (they don't have older, outdated models on the truck). I told him I wanted to to stick with a H24. When he connected the replacement H24, it strangely also would not take a forced download of the software (even with multiple attempts).

The tech then went back to his truck and grabbed a H25. Within seconds, it took the software download. The tech's conclusion is that DirecTV may be having a software download feed issue with the H24.

I am now glad that DirecTV sent a tech instead of just sending me a replacement H24. It looks like the H24s "may" currently be having an issue that would not have been resolved with getting a like model for replacement . . . or I would have gotten an older, outdated receiver.

At least for now, I am very happy with the H25, and in hindsight, it should have been the model I ordered. It is noticeably faster than the H24.

I mentioned to the tech that the reason I went with the H24 was that it had RF remote control capabilities. He went back out to his truck and grabbed me an RF dongle, as well as an RF remote (which I was planning to purchase in the future). Both were given to me free of charge.

So far, this has been a happy ending to my issue ! ! ! !

If there are any daring forum members with an H24, I'd be very interested in the results of what your experience is if you attempt to force a download.

Awesome! Glad it all worked out for you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#50 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Other H24s are definitely getting software when it's in the stream, so it's not all boxes of that type. But something was definitely wrong with yours.

#51 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

I am glad everything worked out.

The feed issue is with your LNB though. If the Tech had changed it your H24 would have downloaded.

I also carry RF Remotes, RF Dongles, and wall mount kits on my truck.

I don't always have the latest equipment though, it's whatever is available at the warehouse.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#52 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I am glad everything worked out.

The feed issue is with your LNB though. If the Tech had changed it your H24 would have downloaded.

I also carry RF Remotes, RF Dongles, and wall mount kits on my truck.

I don't always have the latest equipment though, it's whatever is available at the warehouse.

Doesn't look that way - other STB did download FW and updated from same feed.

#53 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

Doesn't look that way - other STB did download FW and updated from same feed.

H25's and H24's update from the same feed cuz?

Looking at Doug's website that isn't completely true.

#54 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,915 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

then post SS matrix off 101.0W

#55 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

then post SS matrix off 101.0W

That has nothing to do with the feed cuz. You sound like a CSR. :lol:

I thought you were some French Engineer.

#56 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I can assure you that P Smith is not a CSR
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

I can assure you that P Smith is not a CSR

!rolling
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

You don't deny he's French.

#59 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,915 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

I thought it's obvious: you did mention different STB are getting FW from different tpn [eg feeds], that's where screenshot with signal level of all tpn would benefit in chasing the issue.

[What you mean "French Engineer" ? Is it good or bad in your vocabulary ? For me difference in knowledge and experience is the key, regardless if you're French, Indian or Filipino engineer.]

#60 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:03 AM

I thought it's obvious: you did mention different STB are getting FW from different tpn [eg feeds], that's where screenshot with signal level of all tpn would benefit in chasing the issue.

[What you mean "French Engineer" ? Is it good or bad in your vocabulary ? For me difference in knowledge and experience is the key, regardless if you're French, Indian or Filipino engineer.]

It's been my experience that signal strength is not an issue. You can have 96 plus on that particular transponder and there is just something missing. The data wont download. I have no idea what that missing something is, but I know what works. A new LNB.

I would have said foreign instead of French but I would have had to look it up, and it was past my bedtime. Foreign, someone not from North Carolina, i.e. Alabama.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...