Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yet Another Genie Upgrade/Setup Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mantan

mantan

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Sorry to start another thread on this topic...but I got two different answers from *DTV and wanted to be sure I understood my upgrade options.

Quick background - currently have 4 different tuners set up under a WHDRV set up.

Living Room - HR22-100
Study/Mancave - HR24-500
Den - R22-200 (was on an SD TV, now on an HD TV)
Bedroom - R22-100

The system has been perfectly stable. With theoretically 8 tuners there have been minimal issues with conflicts...and they can usually be worked around.

The old R22-100 in the bedroom has a failing hard drive. When I called DTV, they told me that I'd been eligible for an upgrade for quite awhile and said I was eligible for a free Genie HR34 and up to 3 clients.

Originally the suggestion was to use the HR34 to replace all my current receivers. I have mixed feelings about that as there is programming on the Living Room and Den DVR I'd really like to keep. And 5 tuners is less than the 8 we have now. Plus we are converting a bonus room into a media room and it seems the 'client' option sounds like a good way to add it without having to add a receiver/rewire anything.

I called back to DTV and they said I could keep some of the receivers if I wanted and they would still work in the whole home unit.

My ideal set up would be:

Study/Mancave - Genie
Living Room - HR22-100
Den - R22-200
Bedroom - Genie Client (C31?)
Media room Genie Client
Guest bedroom Genie Client (Room has been cost prohibitive to wire)

My main questions are:

1) Would all the receivers be able to access each other's playlists?

2) Would there be any problems to add/deleting/managing playlists from the current DVR's to the Genie and vice versa?

3) How stable is the Genie receiver and clients? Our current system is rock solid... I'm sure I'll hear about if suddenly there are problems with freezing, lost shows, bugs throughout the interface.....

Thanks in advance for your help.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

My ideal set up would be:

Study/Mancave - Genie
Living Room - HR22-100
Den - R22-200
Bedroom - Genie Client (C31?)
Media room Genie Client
Guest bedroom Genie Client (Room has been cost prohibitive to wire)

My main questions are:

1) Would all the receivers be able to access each other's playlists?

2) Would there be any problems to add/deleting/managing playlists from the current DVR's to the Genie and vice versa?

3) How stable is the Genie receiver and clients? Our current system is rock solid... I'm sure I'll hear about if suddenly there are problems with freezing, lost shows, bugs throughout the interface.....

Thanks in advance for your help.....

1) all receivers will have access.
2) not sure what you mean. Managing playlists can only be done at the DVR they're on, "BUT" since the clients are merely extensions of the Genie, they can do it to just the Genie.
3) The Genie is now fairly stable [enough to be my main DVR without needing a backup], while the clients aren't quite there yet. Since they don't record, having to reboot mine, is merely an inconvenience.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   flaktastic

flaktastic

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I'd keep the HR24 and drop the second R22.

#1 - yes although I've heard the C31's sometimes have issues seeing recordings on HrXx's other than the Genie - not sure since I don't have any.

#2 - you can only manage recordings on the DVR you're using. C31's will allow you to set up recordings in the Genie/HR34. You can delete recordings from any receiver.

#3 - I have an HR34 with an H24 and HR21. HR34 is great. I've heard of a few issues qith C31's locking up but haven't experienced it. Should be fixed with software updates tough.

#4 OFFLINE   mantan

mantan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I'd keep the HR24 and drop the second R22.

#1 - yes although I've heard the C31's sometimes have issues seeing recordings on HrXx's other than the Genie - not sure since I don't have any.

#2 - you can only manage recordings on the DVR you're using. C31's will allow you to set up recordings in the Genie/HR34. You can delete recordings from any receiver.

#3 - I have an HR34 with an H24 and HR21. HR34 is great. I've heard of a few issues qith C31's locking up but haven't experienced it. Should be fixed with software updates tough.

I'd love to keep the HR24, it's just the programming my wife and daughter both want to keep is on the R22. But I'm checking to see if this is 'must have' vs nice to have.....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...