Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

While none of these 8 were on my want list, I welcome the additions and will at least watch Encore Action in HD.

I still would like to see Epix added and Reelz in HD though.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#402 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 558 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

While none of these 8 were on my want list, I welcome the additions and will at least watch Encore Action in HD.

I still would like to see Epix added and Reelz in HD though.

do you think we will ever see Epix? or is it too expensive too add it? (i think it 1 Million Dollar)

#403 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

IFC would be amazing!

#404 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

8 new HD channels is a great way to ring in the new year! :)

Agree! Any chance we'll see these channels this week or is it more likely next week?

#405 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

do you think we will ever see Epix? or is it too expensive too add it? (i think it 1 Million Dollar)

Well I won't be holding my breath! :)

But yeah, Epix should be on the radar for D*. But either as a subscribed Premium or add to the HD Extra pack.

the $1M was from the negotiations and appeared to be to add it to at least one of the base packages. D* rightfully rejected that imo.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#406 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,211 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Agree! Any chance we'll see these channels this week or is it more likely next week?

my guess is next.

#407 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

After this batch of HD channels is added I will no longer be recording anything in SD. :D

Unfortunately, I will still have The CW programming, but the addition of TV Land will cut several of my SD Series Links...

Oh, I still have a few more channels I'd like in HD.

Ditto...

MOST WANTED (HD duplicates) ADDITIONS
  • CW HD-DNS
  • Reelz Channel
  • The Hub
  • Fox Movie Channel

EVENTUAL LIKE TO HAVE (HD duplicates)
  • Logo
  • Gospel Music Channel
  • Ovation TV
  • TV Guide Channel
  • TVOne
  • NASA TV
  • Centric
  • Fuse

HD EXTRA PACKAGE ADDITION LIKES

• FearNet
  • FUNimation Channel

#408 OFFLINE   retromzc

retromzc

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

When the 8 new channels launch I predict my backup Comcast connection will be dropped down one or two notches....which is a good thing!
R. B.

1 H20-100 receiver
1 HR24-500 dvr receiver
Sony 40" lcd
Sony XBR46HX929 led

#409 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Same here. Last shows I record in SD are the new tvland comedies.

For me it's Hot in Cleveland on TVLand and Nadia G's Bitchin Kitchen on Cooking.

And I'll probably start recording more on both of those channels as well as stuff on IFC.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#410 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Patience.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#411 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

For me it's Hot in Cleveland on TVLand and Nadia G's Bitchin Kitchen on Cooking.

And I'll probably start recording more on both of those channels as well as stuff on IFC.

I record "Hot In Cleveland", "Happily Divorced", and "The Soul Man" on TV Land (used to record "Retired At 35" before it was cancelled). Never could get into "The Exes"...

Cooking, like Food Network (I have a Series Link for "Rachel Vs. Guy" on FOOD from last year, but haven't caught any of them this year) is something I just turn on and watch... I don't have any Series Links set up for it.

I may try "Portlandia" once IFC HD is added...

I bet this Wednesday (1/16), based on the last few HD additions.

Satelliteracer mentioned they wouldn't all be coming at the same time, but maybe one or two will pop up. :)

#412 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Aquarius...Hmmm Maybe more later this month or next?

The sign of Aquarius is Jan. 20th till Feb. 18th. Since they usually go live on Wednesdays, I'm guessing Jan. 23d.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#413 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

...However, if all goes well, then you'll see multiple channels on multiple days launched soon. The dates are locked in...

This seems to mean that the eight channels are not all going live at the same time, correct? We might need to speculate on what's first, second, etc. :)

#414 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,062 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

This seems to mean that the eight channels are not all going live at the same time, correct?

That's what I got from it... ;)

Satelliteracer mentioned they wouldn't all be coming at the same time, but maybe one or two will pop up. :)

#415 OFFLINE   Wayne Kjelsrud

Wayne Kjelsrud

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

After this batch of HD channels is added I will no longer be recording anything in SD. :D

I will have only one and it's on VH1 Classic (Witch I know dose not broadcast in HD) "That Metal Show".

#416 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Still waiting for The Hub. My Little Pony just isn't as good in standard definition.

#417 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I hope IFC HD comes ASAP. Another week of Portlandia in SD is hard on the eyes. The unique style of humor though keeps me tuned in despite the poor picture. Looks like there's a lot more programming on IFC I will be interested in once I get to see it in HD.

Since its that time if the year to reevaluate packages I am going to move to the one that doesn't have Style and Sprout in it until they are in HD.

Fuse, We and Oxygen HD would pretty much sum up what I or the wife would want after this. Eventually more kids programming in HD would be nice. As my daughter is only 2 months old, we have some time for that... But hopefully it comes.

Alan's list is pretty accurate minus CW (we get that here).

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#418 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

The sign of Aquarius is Jan. 20th till Feb. 18th. Since they usually go live on Wednesdays, I'm guessing Jan. 23d.

I think you're guess is going to be right or at least close. It won't be long, and as SR mentioned earlier, more HD to follow after these 8 additions.

#419 OFFLINE   ruthiesea

ruthiesea

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Sorry to interrupt, but NASA in HD has been brought up. I know that it would take up bandwidth, but isn't NASATV HD provided free of charge? While not a must have channel it would be a nice addition.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Robert J. Hanlon

#420 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,282 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

NASA doesn't charge, but there are costs. They still have to weigh the desires of the customer with the costs involved, including bandwidth. The average customer likely isn't interested.

I would like an HD feed of them upgrading the crawler-transporter, but that's just me.

#421 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sorry to interrupt, but NASA in HD has been brought up. I know that it would take up bandwidth, but isn't NASATV HD provided free of charge? While not a must have channel it would be a nice addition.

I think NASA is a PI channel on directv and they may just do the min for it.

MPEG 4 SD takes up less space then HD.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#422 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

NASA is going to be in the poor house for quite a few years. I don't foresee very much exciting happening there. Certainly no manned space flight, other than routine launches to the ISS. Not even missions to return to the moon. Otherwise, I would be interested in that channel.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#423 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

NASA doesn't charge, but there are costs. They still have to weigh the desires of the customer with the costs involved, including bandwidth. The average customer likely isn't interested.

I would like an HD feed of them upgrading the crawler-transporter, but that's just me.

There shouldn't be that much more cost. Right now there is no NASA SD feed. The feeds they provide are in HD only (like ESPN) so Directv is downconverting it to SD

#424 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

What dose anybody watch on NASA? I never see anything on there I like and I have been I into the space program all my life.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#425 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,282 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Biggest thing fairly recently, the coverage of the Curiosity landing.

Back in the shuttle days, I did watch those on HDNet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...