Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#421 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sorry to interrupt, but NASA in HD has been brought up. I know that it would take up bandwidth, but isn't NASATV HD provided free of charge? While not a must have channel it would be a nice addition.

I think NASA is a PI channel on directv and they may just do the min for it.

MPEG 4 SD takes up less space then HD.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#422 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

NASA is going to be in the poor house for quite a few years. I don't foresee very much exciting happening there. Certainly no manned space flight, other than routine launches to the ISS. Not even missions to return to the moon. Otherwise, I would be interested in that channel.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#423 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

NASA doesn't charge, but there are costs. They still have to weigh the desires of the customer with the costs involved, including bandwidth. The average customer likely isn't interested.

I would like an HD feed of them upgrading the crawler-transporter, but that's just me.

There shouldn't be that much more cost. Right now there is no NASA SD feed. The feeds they provide are in HD only (like ESPN) so Directv is downconverting it to SD

#424 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

What dose anybody watch on NASA? I never see anything on there I like and I have been I into the space program all my life.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#425 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,525 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Biggest thing fairly recently, the coverage of the Curiosity landing.

Back in the shuttle days, I did watch those on HDNet.

#426 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I wonder what the numbers are of subs that will stay with DirecTV because they added channel XYZ in HD versus adding "new" sports HD. CSN Houston, CSNNW, Pac12 Networks, CSN Phiilly etc (or movie channels like EPiX) all seem to be channels that if added would bring in new or returning customers . It would be interesting to see where that line is.

It seems we're almost to the point of the channels being upgraded to HD would have such a small viewership compared to bringing in a new channel that would have subs leave their current provider and switch to DirecTV. I know there are people that still want channels that are not in HD yet added, just wondering business wise where the line is of new channels versus channels being upgraded to HD.

#427 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Yes, it'd be interesting indeed, but I doubt that any outside the top management at DIRECTV® have a good grasp of those numbers, or rather, the data that might lead to informed speculation!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#428 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

I know in the past when HD launches were pending that some of you would see the difference in the programming guides on your phones. Anybody seeing that to indicate any launches tommorow?

#429 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

I wonder what the numbers are of subs that will stay with DirecTV because they added channel XYZ in HD versus adding "new" sports HD. CSN Houston, CSNNW, Pac12 Networks, CSN Phiilly etc (or movie channels like EPiX) all seem to be channels that if added would bring in new or returning customers . It would be interesting to see where that line is.

It seems we're almost to the point of the channels being upgraded to HD would have such a small viewership compared to bringing in a new channel that would have subs leave their current provider and switch to DirecTV. I know there are people that still want channels that are not in HD yet added, just wondering business wise where the line is of new channels versus channels being upgraded to HD.

I think it is more holistic at this point than channel by channel. The slow but consistent drive toward all HD just so you can be there eventually.

The order may be affected by viewership but also cost and a lot of other factors.

It is self evident that new sports channels don't automatically mean money and viewership or they'd all be on. But probably neither does tvland or the cooking channel other than the direction of having all in HD eventually.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#430 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I know in the past when HD launches were pending that some of you would see the difference in the programming guides on your phones. Anybody seeing that to indicate any launches tommorow?

Not at this time, but it's still early...

#431 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,181 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

i didn't see anything this morning on my android.

#432 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,812 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I wonder what the numbers are of subs that will stay with DirecTV because they added channel XYZ in HD versus adding "new" sports HD. CSN Houston, CSNNW, Pac12 Networks, CSN Phiilly etc

Especially now that we have the RSN fee.

#433 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,525 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

I wouldn't have expected anything to go live before Friday.

#434 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Nothing yet on my phone or iPad.

#435 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I wonder what the numbers are of subs that will stay with DirecTV because they added channel XYZ in HD versus adding "new" sports HD.

From the DirecTV perspective, the number of subs in isolation is not the correct metric. What is important is the ratio of cost per sub to number of subs. If the cost is low, then even if the number of subs is low, it might make sense to add the channel. If the cost is high, then the number of subs must be very large to make the channel worthwhile to DirecTV.

I am sure there are people within DirecTV who have made these assessments. If DirecTV felt that they could get enough new subs (or retain enough subs that will actually leave) to offset the cost of the PAC12 network, the PAC12 network would have been added. DirecTV knows how much they are willing to pay for each channel. If they can get the channel at or below that price, they will add it. If they cannot get the channel at or below a price that they feel will improve their profit margin, they will not add it.

#436 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

I wouldn't have expected anything to go live before Friday.

What is so special about Friday?

#437 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

What is so special about Friday?

The eight channels were noticed in testing last Friday, so dpeters11 is making the assumption that they'll go live a week later...

#438 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

The eight channels were noticed in testing last Friday, so dpeters11 is making the assumption that they'll go live a week later...

Hopefully they arrive Friday, if not sometime next week. I know it's premature, but would like to see Fox Movie Channel, Reelz, Encore Drama or possibly EPIX HD added in the near future.

Edited by ep1974, 15 January 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#439 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Ah I see.

ID HD and H2 HD! My life is almost complete.

#440 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I was thinking that they could've been in testing earlier than last Friday? Since they were only noticed then?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...