Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Swanni has picked up the news, as usual Sixto you are famous! :lol: :)

DIRECTV to Launch 8 HD Channels This Week? (TV Predictions)

Also, for those who have not seen Swanni's 2013 Predictions .... Prediction #3: DIRECTV to Buy Netflix

Swami sure loves questtion marks!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Whee, now we're really getting esoteric.

I think I'd point out that in this context it probably matters less what is technically accurate in this regard, than what SR understands to be when Aquarius starts, which is more likely to be a common understanding (like what gets printed in daily horoscopes in the newspapers) than a highly technical one.

And I'm still sticking with next Wednesday for the first batch out of the 8. :D

I do not disagree. I think there will be 4 on January 23 and 4 more on February 6. Both dates fall clearly within Aquarius.

#463 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yes, my wife will just Love having HLN in HD (I watch Fox News so I could care less) but I will Love having H2 in HD along with The Cooking Channel. :hurah:

<Yawn> :uglyhamme:lol:

I do not disagree. I think there will be 4 on January 23 and 4 more on February 6. Both dates fall clearly within Aquarius.

Or we could just use the term.... *soon* :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#464 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Are these new HD adds possible thanks to Dan York (the guy that used to get programming for AT&T U-Verse)?

Derek Chang who at year end ended employment with DirecTV had the mantra that we had all the HD anyone cared about.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#465 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Are these new HD adds possible thanks to Dan York (the guy that used to get programming for AT&T U-Verse)?

Derek Chang who at year end ended employment with DirecTV had the mantra that we had all the HD anyone cared about.

Programming decisions are tied to contractual agreements...so channel launch plans often are agreed upon well in advance of their actual deployment. In some cases, content provides have "groups" of channels, and based upon broadcast agreements, they have them launch at intervals as opposed to all at one time.

#466 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

No he did not.

"For DirecTV, the HD "bigger is better" battle is over. "To be honest, I think right now, everyone's got most of the important stuff in HD," Derek Chang, DirecTV executive vice president of content strategy and development, said. "Once we got to 100 channels, it became about delivering the overall experience."

Saying we have most of the important stuff...is far different from we have all the HD people care about.

http://www.multichannel.com/content/hd-wars-are-over-what's-next-battleground

For DirecTV, the HD "bigger is better"
battle is over. "To be honest, I think
right now, everyone's got most of the
important stuff in HD," Derek Chang,
DirecTV executive vice president of content strategy and
development, said. "Once we got to 100 channels, it became
about delivering the overall experience."

There's less benefit in trying to hit 200 HDs because
those by their nature will be less-watched networks,
he noted. DirecTV is going to continue to add channels
"selectively as we see fit and where we can deliver value
to the customer," Chang said. The satellite operator is
advancing along several new fronts, including 1080p HD
(Blu-ray Disc quality), early-premiere movies, sports, iPad
apps, multiroom viewing and enhancing the guide.

"HD is just one piece of the puzzle," Chang said.

Makes perfect sense.
DTV = Digital Television

#467 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

No he did not.

Saying we have most of the important stuff...is far different from we have all the HD people care about.

http://www.multichannel.com/content/hd-wars-are-over-what's-next-battleground

Makes perfect sense.

IMHO the quotes you posted support cypherx's basic point...sounds like Derek Chang did not put a high value on adding HD content.

Sandra

#468 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,663 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

IMHO the quotes you posted support cypherx's basic point...sounds like Derek Chang did not put a high value on adding HD content.

And yet...theres oh so much more to making those decisions than one person's philosphy. So we have new HD channels coming...which were likely defined and contracted well before Mr. Chang's departure.

:backtotop

#469 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

And yet...theres oh so much more to making those decisions than one person's philosphy. So we have new HD channels coming...which were likely defined and contracted well before Mr. Chang's departure.

:backtotop

Well, Chang's been gone for seven months now, so we don't know how many might have been contracted since.

But, I'd generally agree that I've always felt it likely that D* has a pool of "HD licenses in their pocket" with which they have anywhere from some, to great, flexibility when they decide to exercise them based on infrastructure availability, priority, etc. Particularly with these smaller audience channels which don't have particularly great negotiating leverage to be making demands.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#470 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Well, Chang's been gone for seven months now, so we don't know how many might have been contracted since.

He actually left at the end of the year.
DTV = Digital Television

#471 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Sandra

Yet he obviously did based on the results during his tenure. The quotes show his actual statements, not the false interpretation of them that has been posted before.
DTV = Digital Television

#472 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm glad Chang is gone. I never liked him. There's no such thing as "enough" or "too much" HD.

Haha! You never liked him...without a legitimate reason of course.
DTV = Digital Television

#473 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

He actually left at the end of the year.

Ah, you're correct. Yet York started in July as "Executive VP of Programming and Chief Content Officer". So, make of it as you will who had more influence since July.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#474 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yet he obviously did based on the results during his tenure. The quotes show his actual statements, not the false interpretation of them that has been posted before.

Based on Chang's quotes, addional HD may have stopped being high on his agenda.

Sandra

#475 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Based on Chang's quotes, addional HD may have stopped being high on his agenda.

Sandra

Considering his role and accomplishments, no.
DTV = Digital Television

#476 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Read the quotes you posted, he pretty much said "we have enough HD channels, we don't need more, so I'm going to stop negotiating for them." It's like he just gave up because he knew he was going to be replaced.

Haha...again, you are trying to reinterpret his words rather than just taking them for what they are.
DTV = Digital Television

#477 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

Considering his role and accomplishments, no.

Just giving you my opinion, which you will not change. YMMV. ;)

Sandra

#478 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Swami sure loves questtion marks!

And posted today... DIRECTV Subs Still Waiting For 8 HD Channels
(Since they didn't launch today)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#479 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Just giving you my opinion, which you will not change. YMMV. ;)

Sandra

Doesn't change the facts of what he said and what actually happened.
DTV = Digital Television

#480 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Swanni always says Sixto predicted things, as if he is some sort of clairvoyant. Sixto reports what he can see.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall