Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

And posted today... DIRECTV Subs Still Waiting For 8 HD Channels
(Since they didn't launch today)

So Swanni. . . finding a way to turn a positive into an implied negative. Nobody in this thread that I've seen said the channels would launch today. Even people who are familiar with the Wednesday tradition realized that going into test on Friday significantly reduced the chances that *this* Wednesday would be launch day, since it is usually at least a full week from test to launch. . . and certainly no guarantee that they'll all launch simultaneously.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Doesn't change the facts of what he said and what actually happened.

Not worth continuing to bicker over. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Time to move on.

Sandra

#483 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

As far as I'm concerned....Sixto predicted nothing. He reported what he saw...didn't say those channels were being added now, soon, in a month or whenever.

Nobody knows the behind the scenes on anything internal at DireccTV. for all we know, testing didn't go as well as expected. None of this means that they aren't going to be added. We just don't know when.

Hopefully it won't be a long wait.

HR34-700(0x00985)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#484 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Not worth continuing to bicker over. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Time to move on.

Sandra

Yes, you have your opinion. I have what was actually said and done.
DTV = Digital Television

#485 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yes, you have your opinion. I have what was actually said and done.

Go away. Please.

#486 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Moving on...

Any buzz whatsoever regarding additional sports networks? I still hold out hope for the Pac-12 Networks (a lot of good basketball games televised by the Pac-12 Networks have already been missed this season), and I REALLY would like to see DirecTV bring Gol TV back to the sports pack.

Never understood why we lost that channel in the first place. Soccer needs to be in HD.

Sandra

#487 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

He must have missed the Patience posts. Twice.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#488 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

If these channels come in packages or bundles through deals with the content originator, I would think FUSE HD and WE HD would be in the pipeline, as its most commonly sold with IFC and AMC.

I wonder if some tension between Comcast is whats preventing Style and Oxygen?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#489 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

PATIENCE,PATIENCE,PATIENCE did I mention patience LOL

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#490 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Sorry for yelling

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#491 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

Re: Hoosier205

+1

We're all entitled to our opinion, even if others may not agree. I don't like Chang, never have, never will. Defend him all you want, I'm not changing my mind. Read between the lines, the guy is a lazy stupid idiot and that's why he got replaced.

Based upon what? Dozens of annual retrans deals successfully completed? Seriously...what exactly are you basing this on?
DTV = Digital Television

#492 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 947 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Based on Chang's quotes, addional HD may have stopped being high on his agenda.

Sandra

The HD Wars Are Over. What’s the Next Battleground?

By Todd Spangler (07.11.2011)
@ http://www.multichan...xt-battleground

For DirecTV, the HD “bigger is better” battle is over. “To be honest, I think right now, everyone’s got most of the important stuff in HD,” Derek Chang, DirecTV executive vice president of content strategy and development, said. “Once we got to 100 channels, it became about delivering the overall experience.”

This was before the Sept. 9, 2011 addition of AMC HD.

#493 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Chang was stupid to make a statement like that. These HD channels are long over due.

#494 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 947 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

SR said its the age of Aquarius, that starts next week. ;)

Jan. 23 is next Wednesday. (I don't make it a habit to keep track of the Horoscope dates.)

Yep.

Thanks.

No matter what order these channels get added, im happy. New HD is always better than no new HD. Its to the point now that we are really getting most of the popular channels in HD. Everything else not on is really in that realm of "if we pay for this now will we see a noticable change from it". If the answer is no, then I agree in.delaying something until it would be.beneficial. Either way I look forward to the.day that everything is HD

It feels like ... catch-up. That DirecTV has been playing catch-up with linear high defintion programming which should have been added anywhere from the last two to four years.

The abysmal year was 2011, when the only basic-cable add was AMC HD. By that date of Sept. 9, 2011, Mad Men had won three best-drama Emmys and was within days of winning No. 4. (Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston also had his three statues by 2010.) Other reasons why it was egregious that AMC HD didn't come much sooner, and that everyone else seemed to carry AMC HD before DirecTV. ("Airing of past grievances," yes, but we are paying subscribers.)

So last year's additions of BBC America HD, DIY Network HD, E! Entertainment Television HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, truTV HD, and Turner Classic Movies HD were a concerted effort to get the channel lineup updated. It was also very smart that DirecTV added, just one month after its SD, Disney Junior HD. (Disney Junior launced in March 2012.)

#495 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

God you're dense. He thought 100 HD channels was "enough". Nobody here (except you) agrees with that. Most of us probably think 200 isn't "enough" either.

Perhaps you should actually read his statements. He never once said 100 was enough. Exactly how does that qualify him as being either lazy or an idiot? I would simply like to know what knowledge or information you have about him that would lead you to that conclusion. I already know that your accusations are entirely without merit, but hey...let's see what ya got. Chang left on his own to pursue a new opportunity after being extremely successful in his various roles throughout his tenure with DirecTV. By all means though...let's hear why you believe he is a lazy idiot.
DTV = Digital Television

#496 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Yeah that's why he got fired. Do and say stupid things at work and that's what happens.

He didn't get fired. You have no idea what you are taking about. None whatsoever.
DTV = Digital Television

#497 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'm done talking to you.

As I said...you have nothing to support your ridiculous claims.

Edited by Hoosier205, 16 January 2013 - 11:49 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#498 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 164 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I for one am very happy with the directv HD offerings. Both current and soon to be.

I would only ask for Fox Movie Channel and QVC.

I would appreciate Encore Westerns when it becomes available in HD.

Too much griping lately guys.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#499 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yep, lets end it there guys, you both have stated your views, lets move on, back to DirecTV HD. Please.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#500 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Well, Chang's been gone for seven months now, so we don't know how many might have been contracted since.

But, I'd generally agree that I've always felt it likely that D* has a pool of "HD licenses in their pocket" with which they have anywhere from some, to great, flexibility when they decide to exercise them based on infrastructure availability, priority, etc. Particularly with these smaller audience channels which don't have particularly great negotiating leverage to be making demands.

Chang. Was he Chinese, or were the lines just crossed? ;)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...