Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#501 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

Now is a really good time to get back to the topic of HD Anticipation. Take anything else to PM or drop it.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#502 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

I've seen a number of big cable co's and smaller cable co's and now today Dish Network all add IFC HD, WE HD, and FUSE HD at the same time as if they were some kind of package deal. They are all under the AMC Networks umbrella. I've even seen some cable operators where those 3 were on the same QAM frequency, and even some operators where they also squeeze in AMC HD (4 to a QAM).

I see we are getting IFC HD with DirecTV as it is in TEST mode... but what about the other two networks in that package (WE HD and FUSE HD)?

I really miss FUSE. I used to watch it 2 years ago when I had it in HD on Comcast. Now with DirecTV since the SD picture is vastly overcompressed, I usually just skip over it. If it came in HD I could enjoy it again. I just hope it happens before network decay sinks in and it turns into all reality television.

WE HD would be great also as the wife sometimes has that on from time to time. I'm glad she is getting LMN in HD soon. One more blurry mess I don't have to see her tuned into.

I know SR said more HD is to come even after this round. I sure hope now with the 6 channels per transponder encoding technology, along with Dan York at the negotiating end... we see more SD channels currently offered on DirecTV converted to better HD quality. I know LONG TERM there was an article where the goal was that everything would be in HD, and Ku would be re-purposed for 4K. That's years away... but there's A LOT OF SD on DirecTV, so you have to start somewhere.

Now who wants to place bets on when we will get updated channel logo's for these ads? I bet 60 days after they go 'live'.

Edited by cypherx, 17 January 2013 - 06:45 AM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#503 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

Now who wants to place bets on when we will get updated channel logo's for these ads? I bet 60 days after they go 'live'.

The most important thing is having the channels in HD. I do not care if we ever get channel logos. I have never once decided to tune in a channel because it had a logo, and conversely, I have never failed to tune in a channel that had a show I wanted to watch because there was no logo. I watch the programs - not the channel information.

#504 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

The most important thing is having the channels in HD. I do not care if we ever get channel logos. I have never once decided to tune in a channel because it had a logo, and conversely, I have never failed to tune in a channel that had a show I wanted to watch because there was no logo. I watch the programs - not the channel information.

While the logos are indeed of secondary importance...it would not be surprising to have them appear at the time the new channels are launched. It's happened before.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#505 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well, Chang's been gone for seven months now, so we don't know how many might have been contracted since.

But, I'd generally agree that I've always felt it likely that D* has a pool of "HD licenses in their pocket" with which they have anywhere from some, to great, flexibility when they decide to exercise them based on infrastructure availability, priority, etc. Particularly with these smaller audience channels which don't have particularly great negotiating leverage to be making demands.

Derek left two weeks ago, not 7 months ago. His final day was January 3rd I believe. Very smart, good guy, was responsible for a tremendous amount of good for customers and D*.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#506 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Based on Chang's quotes, addional HD may have stopped being high on his agenda.

Sandra

Honestly, no. You can't just launch HD because you want to. Takes two to tango, both sides. Takes infrastructure, available bandwidth, money, etc, etc. It also has to be weighed vs what capacity will be used for....do you launch a channel that 0.5% of the base will watch or keep it for other services that generate revenue, etc. Those are just basic business decisions that have to be made. But Derek Chang was always a strong advocate for the customer, a very sound strategic person, all over HD and other things, some of which won't come to fruition for another few years but still has his fingerprints on them.

On the comments attributed to him, I think people are missing a lot of context there in my opinion. As stated, takes two to tango and at times a statement like that which mostly is only seen in the industry trades can be seen as a way to send a message. That's purely my opinion, but when you consider the context and what he has said constantly at DTV, HD is and always will be of major importance. That's why when I would read predictions that it was stopping or whatever, I would just shake my head.

D* is fortunate to have Dan York now as well...very competent person. As I've said for several years now, more HD is coming and will continue to come.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#507 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,038 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

D* is fortunate to have Dan York now as well...very competent person. As I've said for several years now, more HD is coming and will continue to come.

Thanks Sat Racer...all good info.

"More HD coming" is music to our ears. :)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#508 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

As I've said for several years now, more HD is coming and will continue to come.

Can you tell us if there are any plans to convert Fox Soccer Plus to full-time HD? $14.99 is a lot to pay for a SD channel with only a few live games in HD.

#509 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've said for several years now, more HD is coming and will continue to come.

Thanks SatRacer.

I guess you couldn't comment if you wanted to on this... but any word on We HD and Fuse HD? I mean IFC HD is coming, AMC HD is already on the system.... The other two should all go together as a package deal.

Well you said more HD is coming so I can only hope (and it makes sense) that they will eventually come to complete that package distribution with AMC Networks.

Now only if Comcast would play nice with DirecTV. CSN Philly aside... Style HD and Oxygen HD. I'm going to move to Choice Xtra at the end of the week, which doesn't include Style for example. But bring it in HD and you'll make me move to Ultimate to get it. That's $6 more a month, or $72 a year because of moving a channel to HD. And I'm just ONE customer.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#510 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

No matter how anyone wants to take the Chang quotes, the fact remains that directv has pretty consistently added HD throughout. The big argument for a while wasn't about the lack of HD additions but the lack of "basic" channels. But the overall HD count continued to grow.

Some of the challenges were technology and now with better compression they can add things more quickly. That didn't happen overnight. It had to be a year in the planning and making.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#511 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Honestly, no. You can't just launch HD because you want to. Takes two to tango, both sides. Takes infrastructure, available bandwidth, money, etc, etc. It also has to be weighed vs what capacity will be used for....do you launch a channel that 0.5% of the base will watch or keep it for other services that generate revenue, etc. Those are just basic business decisions that have to be made. But Derek Chang was always a strong advocate for the customer, a very sound strategic person, all over HD and other things, some of which won't come to fruition for another few years but still has his fingerprints on them.

On the comments attributed to him, I think people are missing a lot of context there in my opinion. As stated, takes two to tango and at times a statement like that which mostly is only seen in the industry trades can be seen as a way to send a message. That's purely my opinion, but when you consider the context and what he has said constantly at DTV, HD is and always will be of major importance. That's why when I would read predictions that it was stopping or whatever, I would just shake my head.

Great info...thank you.

Is there any chance GolTV will return in HD, and return to the Sports Pack? It seems the tango partner is more than willing here, but for some reason DirecTV decided to drop this.

Still one of the strangest decisions I've seen from DirecTV.

#512 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks SatRacer.

I guess you couldn't comment if you wanted to on this... but any word on We HD and Fuse HD? I mean IFC HD is coming, AMC HD is already on the system.... The other two should all go together as a package deal.

Well you said more HD is coming so I can only hope (and it makes sense) that they will eventually come to complete that package distribution with AMC Networks.

Now only if Comcast would play nice with DirecTV. CSN Philly aside... Style HD and Oxygen HD. I'm going to move to Choice Xtra at the end of the week, which doesn't include Style for example. But bring it in HD and you'll make me move to Ultimate to get it. That's $6 more a month, or $72 a year because of moving a channel to HD. And I'm just ONE customer.

Will this be grandfather or will it be like Clue was no longer available to us who were grandfather?

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#513 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I hope i can return to directv by next fall right before the nba season,By then i hope they have fearnet,cloo, and chiller in HD!!

#514 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Wonder how IFC will look in HD here on D*.....at my bar we have IFC (via Time Warner) and it is a 720p pixelated mess..Kinda like the way ION's pic paints (on time warner) and has problems with dark colors..

#515 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Where was that thread or link that showed all the HD channels that are available in the USA? I think it also showed a side by side comparison by provider as well...

#516 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

What dose anybody watch on NASA? I never see anything on there I like and I have been I into the space program all my life.

Here's one. What NASA junkie wouldn't want to watch the first test Orion launch on their big screen in HD? That is scheduled for 2014 (unmanned).

#517 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I really want beIN Sports Español in HD for Spanish package, if ch 620 for sports pack subscribers have it in HD why not ch 426 for Spanish programming?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#518 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Wonder how IFC will look in HD here on D*.....at my bar we have IFC (via Time Warner) and it is a 720p pixelated mess..Kinda like the way ION's pic paints (on time warner) and has problems with dark colors..

It is not super great on fios but it does not pixelate there. I'd expect DirecTV's PQ to be about equal to fios.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#519 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

IFCHD was added on DISH yesterday & it looks great. Only 1 problem...it didn't get rid of the commercials :(

#520 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,666 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

IFCHD was added on DISH yesterday & it looks great. Only 1 problem...it didn't get rid of the commercials :(

Since IFC itself does not look "great," that is pretty hard to achieve. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...