Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

LOL. All I know is Portlandia is on IFC Friday nights so if we get IFC HD in time for the next episode I am happy.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

LOL. All I know is Portlandia is on IFC Friday nights so if we get IFC HD in time for the next episode I am happy.

Maybe worth waiting for reruns?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#583 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

curious about something..with the enormous secrecy (by some) in the past about HD additions..for this plentiful announcement and some of the snips I'm reading in the thread here..

minus the way deals need to go about whatever political process and or just plain negotiations..
minus tango'ing
minus the paying customer's wants and comments on this board and many other sites
minus rocket launches needed to allocate said channel slot allotments..oh now the existing rocket can hold it in a different manner...

did this wonderful discovery and anticipation come.....
because of an impending price increase??? really??

after all 1 channel here (AMC)...and a few other scraps thrown to the wolves (BBCA/ION..etc)

did it really (not that I expect anyone to own up --> to this being the real matter of fact) all boil down to this plentiful bounty of anticipation...

in lieu of a price increase??

#584 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

curious about something..with the enormous secrecy (by some) in the past about HD additions..for this plentiful announcement and some of the snips I'm reading in the thread here..

minus the way deals need to go about whatever political process and or just plain negotiations..
minus tango'ing
minus the paying customer's wants and comments on this board and many other sites
minus rocket launches needed to allocate said channel slot allotments..oh now the existing rocket can hold it in a different manner...

did this wonderful discovery and anticipation come.....
because of an impending price increase??? really??

after all 1 channel here (AMC)...and a few other scraps thrown to the wolves (BBCA/ION..etc)

did it really (not that I expect anyone to own up --> to this being the real matter of fact) all boil down to this plentiful bounty of anticipation...

in lieu of a price increase??

What?

Gotta go find my decoder ring...
DTV = Digital Television

#585 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 169 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

What?

Gotta go find my decoder ring...

I think Santi's just asking if there's any real truth to the claim/joke/"whatever it was" that these HD additions are due to help stem off the blow of the expected price increase.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#586 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

Reply above in red

Thank you as always :)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#587 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Is anyone else that subscribes to Starz/Encore Package seeing this line item under Recent Activity? I didn't add/remove anything nor did I make any changes.

Posted Image

Perhaps it has something to do with the preparation/authorization for Encore Action HD?

Yes, I have this also.

#588 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

that these HD additions are due to help stem off the blow of the expected price increase.

Thats How I took it as well.

And I wouldn't doubt that was the intent.

#589 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

I have the premium pay package...and its not on my bill..

Not needed in your case.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#590 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I think Santi's just asking if there's any real truth to the claim/joke/"whatever it was" that these HD additions are due to help stem off the blow of the expected price increase.

Simple answer...no.

If that logic were to hold, then why would D* launch another round later in the year? Why not just hold those off to next year when a price increase comes again?
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#591 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

i'm sorry SR and other PC people here...I dont agree...after all ..I'm from the school that boatloads of stuff dont come as gifts or pleasant surprises, unless we pony up somehow or sometime......gotta admit the timing is a bit suspect huh??? no more from me on this...game on and god bless..

#592 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Not needed in your case.

is it kinda like the 0 Dollar charge i still have on my bill for Sunday Ticket? maybe just for metrics?...and I didn't have it at all this past year..

#593 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

i'm sorry SR and other PC people here...I dont agree...after all ..I'm from the school that boatloads of stuff dont come as gifts or pleasant surprises, unless we pony up somehow or sometime......gotta admit the timing is a bit suspect huh??? no more from me on this...game on and god bless..

You posted your assumption on the timing of it, he told that was not correct. What exactly is there for you to disagree with?
DTV = Digital Television

#594 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

You posted your assumption on the timing of it, he told that was not correct. What exactly is there for you to disagree with?

its my opinion and privilege as a citizen of these United States of America to disagree..

When and if it ever becomes the Unites States of Hoosier I'll have no choice but to fall to one knee, or flee the colonies..

#595 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,822 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Simple answer...no.

If that logic were to hold, then why would D* launch another round later in the year? Why not just hold those off to next year when a price increase comes again?

Years ago (I'm talking the 90's), I believe there were several times where DirecTV promoted channels being added around the time of price increases. It softened the blow... of course, price increases weren't a yearly experience then either...

However, in 2012, TruTV-HD was added in March, and E!-HD in April, and outside of a couple of HBO channels and a 3D channel, the first part of 2011 was bleak for most customers.

I considered it good timing on DirecTV's part, but unrelated... I guess I'm right. :)

DirecTV added 9 HD channels in the 2Q of last year... well after the last price increase.

#596 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

its my opinion and privilege as a citizen of these United States of America to disagree..

When and if it ever becomes the Unites States of Hoosier I'll have no choice but to fall to one knee, or flee the colonies..

You are disagreeing with the truth, you are not disagreeing with an opinion. I have no idea why that is such a difficult concept. You posted what was your opinion and assumption. He told you how it really is.
DTV = Digital Television

#597 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

You are disagreeing with the truth, you are not disagreeing with an opinion. I have no idea why that is such a difficult concept.

Leave me alone, my opinion is my privilege..deal with it..
as is anyone else's post here on whatever they feel like posting about and or agreeing or not agreeing with..

#598 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Leave me alone, my opinion is my privilege..deal with it..
as is anyone else's post here on whatever they feel like posting about and or agreeing or not agreeing with..

What are you disagreeing with? You didn't say you had a difference of opinion with someone. When you said you didn't agree...it was not in response to an opinion. You appear to be disagreeing with the factual information provided by Satelliteracer.
DTV = Digital Television

#599 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

What are you disagreeing with? You didn't say you had a difference of opinion with someone. When you said you didn't agree...it was not in response to an opinion. You appear to be disagreeing with the factual information provided by Satelliteracer.

Or disagreeing that the company line is "factual".

It may be fact that this is what SR has been told. I would not mean to impugn his integrity as I think he is a great guy and very helpful.

But to suspect that the the company line is not necessarily wholly factual is certainly an opinion he is entitled to.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#600 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,822 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Guys... let's let it be, huh?

I'm personally of the opinion that Satelliteracer's statement is in fact the truth, but Santi360HD has the right to believe otherwise...

I'm going to be one of People Magazine's 2013 Most Beautiful People. You can choose whether to believe my statement or not! ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...