Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

I would not mean to impugn his integrity...

While you, and at least one other, imply that he is either parroting lies or posting his own.

Let's see:

We have years of channel additions happening at times other than the annual price increases.

We also have Satelliteracer telling us that these additions are not being timed to soften the blow of the price increases.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Leave me alone, my opinion is my privilege..deal with it..
as is anyone else's post here on whatever they feel like posting about and or agreeing or not agreeing with..

Harry Truman once said "If your cant take the heat then get out of the kitchen". That saying applies to your post. If you don't like the way people respond than don't post at all. ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#603 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Children, you need to calm down!

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#604 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Let's Be Civil Here, Okay!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#605 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Harry Truman once said "If your cant take the heat then get out of the kitchen". That saying applies to your post. If you don't like the way people respond than don't post at all. ;)

ain't nothing I cannot handle..Hoosier disagrees with about all of the posts here..I was catering to his folly of debate..mission accomplished

#606 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Only now because all but about 13 hours or so of programming I now get in HD that I watch. BBCA was a very good add for me but at the same time, I watched doctor who in HD by other means.

I'm just very satisfied for some time now. So the game of what is coming next is more fun for me.

As I've stated before, TV Land (HD in testing) and The CW* are the only two SD channels with Series Links set up in my household, so this round has a little excitement for me...

There are a few other channels that if we had HD simulcasts, I might have SLs set up for them as well (Reelz, etc.), like how I may give "Portlandia" a try once IFC HD is launched... but between having a channel I watch regularly (TV Land HD) added, and a couple of channels I watch occasionally (Cooking Channel HD and LMN HD), I will be celebrating a Festivus this quarter.

* I'm still hoping that DirecTV will add my local CW affiliate in HD sometime this year, thereby lowering my interest in the DNS feeds greatly, but I wrote an e-mail to two different people at my local affiliate at the first of the year asking for an updated timetable as to when this year said affiliate plans to go HD, so I can go ahead and put in a request to DirecTV, but so far, I haven't heard back from either of them... :(

#607 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Probably lots of over thinking in this thread, but understood due to the interest level and demographic. Personally, I'd guess that HD channel selection isn't a huge factor in churn, and HD launches probably have more to do with contracts, capital investment timing, and bandwidth competition.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#608 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

i'm sorry SR and other PC people here...I dont agree...after all ..I'm from the school that boatloads of stuff dont come as gifts or pleasant surprises, unless we pony up somehow or sometime......gotta admit the timing is a bit suspect huh??? no more from me on this...game on and god bless..

Then nothing I or anyone else can say is going to change your mind because you already have it made up...right? :(

Like I said, there is more HD coming later this year, likely in Q3 and if the logic were to hold, why wouldn't D* just hold off and launch it in January of 2014...put off the cost of launching it to next year and time it as you are suggesting? :whatdidid

The reality is that it takes a long time to create the bandwidth, fund it, make sure there are channels that can be launched (legal, etc). It seems to me if you are going to down that line of thinking, it is turned upside down when HD is launched not near a price increase. My two cents. Furthermore, would D* have been smarter to launch them in late December, prior to the pricing notifications going out? The reality is that they are independent of one another.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#609 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Probably lots of over thinking in this thread, but understood due to the interest level and demographic. Personally, I'd guess that HD channel selection isn't a huge factor in churn, and HD launches probably have more to do with contracts, capital investment timing, and bandwidth competition.

:bowdown:
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#610 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

is it kinda like the 0 Dollar charge i still have on my bill for Sunday Ticket? maybe just for metrics?...and I didn't have it at all this past year..

Actually it's merely an authentication service in the background. For whatever reason, some of that shows up when viewed in the online space of the bill, but never on the print bill. Nothing more.
DIRECTV employee

#611 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Years ago (I'm talking the 90's), I believe there were several times where DirecTV promoted channels being added around the time of price increases. It softened the blow... of course, price increases weren't a yearly experience then either...

However, in 2012, TruTV-HD was added in March, and E!-HD in April, and outside of a couple of HBO channels and a 3D channel, the first part of 2011 was bleak for most customers.

I considered it good timing on DirecTV's part, but unrelated... I guess I'm right. :)

DirecTV added 9 HD channels in the 2Q of last year... well after the last price increase.

Alan, most likely that was because some new deals required channels to be launched in a new calendar year as a result of the negotiation. Price increases also correspond to the calendar year, and thus the two overlap. This is why recently people saw Speed rolled down to a lower tier, for example. It was the result of the FOX deal from last year and had to be implemented in January of 2013. Some might speculate that is to "soften the blow" for the price increase, though it was merely to fulfill the new contract.

To each their own, people will think what they want to think I suppose.
DIRECTV employee

#612 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Alan, most likely that was because some new deals required channels to be launched in a new calendar year as a result of the negotiation. Price increases also correspond to the calendar year, and thus the two overlap. This is why recently people saw Speed rolled down to a lower tier, for example. It was the result of the FOX deal from last year and had to be implemented in January of 2013. Some might speculate that is to "soften the blow" for the price increase, though it was merely to fulfill the new contract.

SatRacer:

As always, we appreciate your insight and information. Thank You Very Much!
:goodjob:

Now, can we all go back to anticipating a (very near?) new set of HD channel launches??? What's the over/under on the launch date?
:roundandr

#613 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Regardless of the reasons why those channels launched in the '90s (and it's very possible the timing was a coincidence too), DirecTV took the opportunity to state that while there was a price increase (a rarer occurrence than it is today), they were also adding multiple channels as well. Of course, since they were SD channels, everybody was getting them (should they have the appropriate packages), whereas not everybody has HD, so not everyone would benefit from these additions this year.

Honestly, I felt it was predominantly contractual reasons this year, and never really considered the conspiracy theory... but I do feel people have a right to believe what they want. I'll just mostly roll my eyes or chuckle and move on... ;)

#614 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Now, can we all go back to anticipating a (very near?) new set of HD channel launches??? What's the over/under on the launch date?

I'm going to assume sometime prior to 3Q... ;)

#615 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,447 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

The bottom line is, we are getting new HD channels and the annual increase is coming up. We all expect the yearly increase, whether or not we want it, but are always happy to see more HD in the forecast.
:goodjob:

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#616 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

...Some might speculate that is to "soften the blow" for the price increase, though it was merely to fulfill the new contract...

If the timing of new channels/HD does happen to soften the blow of a rate increase (even if not intentionally) - so much the better. I frankly care less about the intentions and am simply glad that my wife can now watch "Murder, She Wrote" on TVLand in HD.

Thx SR for being thick skinned amongst the often thick headed (and yes, that can include me).

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#617 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I frankly care less about the intentions and am simply glad that my wife can now watch "Murder, She Wrote" on TVLand in HD.

Interesting comment...

Hallmark Movie Channel airs MSW in upconverted SD. I don't know if MSW was filmed (and therefore capable of being converted to HD) or if it was taped, but I have not heard any indication of MSW being transferred to HD. However, TV Land HD has HD tags associated with MSW.

One might think maybe TV Land is trying to pull the wool over everybody's eyes by having HD tags associated with ALL their programming, but that isn't the case. :confused:

On a side note, I really wish IONeHD would get HD tags added to their programming...

#618 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Since these eight channels are coming during sign of Aquarius, my guess is that there will be another round during the sign of Leo.

#619 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Then nothing I or anyone else can say is going to change your mind because you already have it made up...right? :(

Correct, my beliefs and thoughts are mine..

So we agree to disagree, funny how some of the other posters here mentioned THE EXACT SAME THING I alluded to in regards to price increases that usually followed other goodies being added to the channel dial...That was the norm when I had big CABLE back in the 80's & 90's used to spike up their bill and trickle a few channels in here and there..some were 24 hour some shared then came the new cable boxes so did annual increases and newer basic channels..

Dont get me wrong I appreciate all your news.. just not the word association games from the past..nor do I appreciate anyone (not you SR) telling me what to believe in because I better do so, no matter how revered someone is...I get it, but I am entitled whether right or wrong to feel however I want..

Game on God Bless..Off to the bar to clean some beer taps and fill in new kegs..PEACE
any of you guys ever in NYC hollar, couple of rounds on me..

#620 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Correct, my beliefs and thoughts are mine..

So we agree to disagree, funny how some of the other posters here mentioned THE EXACT SAME THING I alluded to in regards to price increases that usually followed other goodies being added to the channel dial...That was the norm when I had big CABLE back in the 80's & 90's used to spike up their bill and trickle a few channels in here and there..some were 24 hour some shared then came the new cable boxes so did annual increases and newer basic channels..

Dont get me wrong I appreciate all your news.. just not the word association games from the past..nor do I appreciate anyone (not you SR) telling me what to believe in because I better do so, no matter how revered someone is...I get it, but I am entitled whether right or wrong to feel however I want..

Game on God Bless..Off to the bar to clean some beer taps and fill in new kegs..PEACE
any of you guys ever in NYC hollar, couple of rounds on me..

This post is an illustration of what is wrong with the internet. People put beliefs ahead of facts.

SR gave you a fact and you chose to ignore it because you get to believe what you want. And before you say that SR is posting a belief, he is in the middle of all this. He KNOWS the why and wherefore of the addition of channels and the timing of such.

Ignorance for all of us. Just believe what you want and ignore facts. Yup, works wonders for politics and the internet.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall