Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#661 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

isn't CW a local problem not a direcTV problem? when our local CW when HD its shown up on DirecTV

As people who follow this thread religiously might already be aware of, the two (or three depending upon how you look at it) SD channels that I'm the most disappointed about not having in HD is TV Land and The CW DNS feeds. The DNS feeds are not available to everyone, but are national channels.

TV Land HD is currently in testing... soon leaving Series Links for The CW programming the only SD Series Links on my DVRs... a matter all the more disappointing when I think about the fact that the two DNS feeds are $3.50 a month.

Last Summer, I found out that my local affiliate (sub-channel) will be going HD sometime in 2013, so I figured that once January hit, I might get a better time frame from the affiliate, and put most of my hopes on receiving them via DirecTV rather than waiting for the DNS feeds anytime soon. However, since I haven't received any kind of response from my local affiliate at this time, I'm still unsure of what quarter their plans are for, and so the DNS feeds are still my #1 anticipated channel(s).... especially after TV Land HD is launched.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#662 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

On iPad and Android, still no updates on the Directv app. re: the new HD channels. Shouldn't there have been something by now?

#663 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Here in my part of NJ I see at least 10 DirecTV dishes to ever Dish Network dish.

That'd be an interesting sight to see.

I live in a rural area where DISH beat DirecTV with locals seven years earlier... and HD-LiL by a year (or half a year?).

DirecTV has made major inroads here since adding LiL, but DISH dishes outnumber DirecTV dishes by a considerable margin still... it's hard to imagine seeing the opposite.

#664 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

On iPad and Android, still no updates on the Directv app. re: the new HD channels. Shouldn't there have been something by now?

Not necessarily... especially if they launch Friday! ;)

#665 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I think Dish has more MPEG4 and two whole arcs. In fact neighbor across the street just got dish and they have two dishes, one points one way, the other points the other way.

I guess that's more bandwidth available...

Dish Network needs two arcs because they have few assets directly over the US - 110 and 119 are the only locations that are really useful nationwide, and even 119 gets tricky in some places in the Northeast. As they added capacity, it was in partial CONUS slots, so to avoid subscribers needing 3 or even 4 dishes, they resorted to duplicating programming across two arcs.

Your neighbor is a perfect example - they need 2 dishes to get what a DirecTV subscribers gets with one. Dish may have more total MPEG-4 encoders in operation, but at any given location you only get the benefit of of a portion of them. DirecTV was fortunate (and acted quickly enough) to secure the most desireable CONUS satellite locations centered around 101 degrees WL, so that they don't need to duplicate programming.

While bandwidth is a great thing to have, at the end of the day it depends upon what the provider does with it that counts. If you are a DirecTV subscriber and you covet the HD channels provided by Dish Network then you should consider switching (and vice versa).

I know that in the case of my family, we have been happy DirecTV subscribers for over 11 years and with the addition of LMN and H2 in HD our "wishlist" will be complete. But every year or two we look at our options. We are lucky, we have DirecTV, Dish Network, FiOS and Cablevision Optimum to choose from.

As customers of a service provider we need to periodically review how we feel about the quality of that service and decide if we might not be happier elsewhere. So far, for us, the scales have always balanced in DirecTV's favor.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#666 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

I live in a rural area where DISH beat DirecTV with locals seven years earlier... and HD-LiL by a year (or half a year?).

DirecTV has made major inroads here since adding LiL, but DISH dishes outnumber DirecTV dishes by a considerable margin still... it's hard to imagine seeing the opposite.

We have a large number of dishes in general in this area, thanks to Cablevision being so absolutely awful for so many years (they have improved, but are still no better than mediocre). About 3 out of every 5 houses have a dish of some kind.

We have exactly the reverse of what you describe: Dish Network didn't carry the Yankee's at all for the first year or two, which really killed them in the NY Metro area. DirecTV actually had tents setup outside Yankee stadium that first summer to sign people up. This part of NJ is also heavily wooded, so Dish Network's wider reception arc is also a handicap.

That said, drive 15 or 20 minutes south to Palisades Park, NJ (where there is very large Asian immigrant community) and the situation reverses. There Dish Network's stronger international programming wins the day.

These are just more examples of how content, not technology, drives peoples' choices.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#667 OFFLINE   Starchild

Starchild

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

In my town there is no cable or telecom alternative so Dish or Directv is it. However there are by far more directv customers here than dish. The fact that nearly every local channel is in HD has helped but I'm sure the overall national HD content plays a large part. That and the customer service.
Directv since 1996
HD since 2001

#668 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I've only been in very small rural areas where Dish dishes outweigh DirecTV dishes. I am talking maybe within a five mile area where there are at most ten houses. Then driving down the road, you see a Dish retailer sign. So, it is one store selling locally.

I have been all over the northeast and large parts of the midwest and have seen an order of magnitude of DirecTV dishes to Dish ones. Your area has a historical reason to be as it is, but to my experience, it is the anomaly.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#669 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

It would be interesting to see the number of active Dish vs. DirecTV subscribers by state, city, or even ZIP code. Obviously that is highly proprietary information, but it would still be interesting.

In my neighborhood, DirecTV seems to outnumber Dish by at least 2 to 1. Some clusters of homes are more like 3 to 1.

I wonder when the central Iowa locals became fully available in HD with the two companies.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#670 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I've only been in very small rural areas where Dish dishes outweigh DirecTV dishes. I am talking maybe within a five mile area where there are at most ten houses. Then driving down the road, you see a Dish retailer sign. So, it is one store selling locally.

I have been all over the northeast and large parts of the midwest and have seen an order of magnitude of DirecTV dishes to Dish ones. Your area has a historical reason to be as it is, but to my experience, it is the anomaly.

I haven't scoured the whole market, but it's obvious in three counties. You are right though... the subscriber totals prove my market is an anomaly. ;)

#671 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,631 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I haven't scoured the whole market, but it's obvious in three counties. You are right though... the subscriber totals prove my market is an anomaly. ;)

And an understandable one if Dish had (better) locals first.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#672 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

I'm in southern Illinois and the mix is about even from casual observation. The channel differences in HD, other than the sports, is considered minimal to those I talk to.

This will most likely be my last post in this thread as I have moved back to Dish to get Epix and Reelz HD. The other differences in channel lineup between the two is of no concern to me.

I will say that if Direct's SD was as good as I'm seeing with the Hopper on the Eastern arc, I wouldn't have considered the switch.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#673 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Dish Network's 2 disc setup (if you're getting foreign packages) don't sit well with those in Manhattan that can put dishes outside their windows...I'm sure no NY RSN's on E* also speaks volumes..plenty of D* dishes as far as the eye can see up and down on many residential parts on Broadway..more non HD of course being that single LNB is so small..only a few windows i see sporting the BIG slimline HD LNB

Edited by Santi360HD, 22 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#674 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

And an understandable one if Dish had (better) locals first.

Not that the potential subscriber #'s would have been worth it, but I truly believe that if DirecTV had launched some form of locals earlier... during the time when DISH couldn't offer ABC (or for a short period of time, CBS), that DirecTV could have turned the tide.

As it was, DirecTV did not have CBS for about a month after LiL launched, and only had an ABC (HD) for six months before DISH added one due to an affiliation launch, and then DirecTV was at something of a disadvantage as DirecTV offered that ABC in SD until a few months ago, and DISH added it in HD from the start.

DIRECTV: 5 HD locals (NBC, ABC, PBS, FOX, CBS), 2 SD locals (The CW, IND)
DISH: 4 HD locals (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS), 2 SD local (PBS, IND)

Plus... DISH advertised locals BIG TIME. I never saw any form of advertisement or promotion from DirecTV about locals at all.

I figure DirecTV didn't see enough value in my market to attack it aggressively. They're making headway VERY slowly, but surely... it helps that satellite customers far outweigh cable customers here.

I digress... I've gotten way off-topic.

#675 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I guess DISH seems to get things done faster because decisions are basically being made by one person, similar to the way Apple used to be run under Steve Jobs. So technology is adapted quicker, programming decisions are made more nimbly and things are done now with the consequences to faced later such as the no-commercial Hopper kerfuffle. The downside is that negotiations with carriers and legal proceedings are also done on a personal level, and the person involved is often very difficult to negotiate with. That leads to more and longer programming outages.

DirecTV operates more like a corporation: varying levels of bureaucracy and oversight, leading to decisions turning into actions more deliberately.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#676 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I guess DISH seems to get things done faster because decisions are basically being made by one person, similar to the way Apple used to be run under Steve Jobs.

Yep and things are done in a far more haphazard and sloppy way by Dish. I'd rather it be done the right way the first time.

Edited by Hoosier205, 22 January 2013 - 02:15 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#677 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hey gang,

Let's talk about dbs, not each other. Santi360HD is welcomed, yes read that as welcomed, to post about his thoughts as to why things happen when they happen. (As are anyone else.)

We don't need to pile on anyone for what they say. After one, polite comment, let it go. Talk about DBS.

And in this thread, let's talk a little less about Dish. We aren't anticipating their HD in this thread. (No snide remarks, by the way...)

We have lots of quarter left, I don't want to close this thread so early in the quarter. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#678 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

I learned a real valuable lesson from all the conflict yesterday, none of which I'll detail...that's all I'll say about that..

Thanks Tom..

#679 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

And thanks, SatelliteRacer, for yoru excellent insights as to how two recurring events can end up with similar cycles, even though they are unrelated. :)

And since we have an EARLY heads up for later this year, WOOHOO!!! More HD is coming, more HD is coming.

(I think back to so many posts saying "we won't get any HD, until [insert poorly thought out reason]...". Since I'm not above saying ITYS, I will respond, "I informed you thus.") :)

Peace,
Tom

PS (You don't really want to see me doing the new HD dance. But I will lose weight so at least it won't be banned in so many states...) :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#680 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

And since we have an EARLY heads up for later this year, WOOHOO!!! More HD is coming, more HD is coming.

While it sounds like the 2Q thread may be pretty quiet, the 3Q thread should be happening anyway... :)

Especially considering the 1Q additions should quiet the 2Q thread somewhat...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...