Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#781 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

There is something to be said for Pac 12 womens volleyball.

Oh there is always something to be said for women's volleyball! :)
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#782 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

There is something to be said for Pac 12 womens volleyball.

yea, but I can see stuff like that for free on the net.

#783 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

There's a whole lot more to the PAC-12 networks than football and basketball. They have some excellent coverage of volleyball and I saw some very exciting water polo matches last fall. This week they're showing lots of hoops as well as track, golf, gymnastics, wrestling, swimming and diving from 2012. PAC-12 is a whole lot more interesting than Root Sports around these parts.

I realize that you're likely going to denigrate the other sports because that's what is dictated by the apologist manifesto but I'd rather watch volleyball and sit through a syndicated sports rehash of how such and such basketball or football team didn't show up.

Totally agree with this post.

It's easy for someone to disparage niche sports when it falls into part of their overall agenda, but the bottom line is the vast majority of channels DirecTV carries are in fact niche channels.

I seriously doubt I will EVER watch Lifetime Movie Channel, and I have no idea what IDHD is...nor do I care to. But I realize there are people who do like these channels, and I'm happy they can now enjoy them in HD.

AXS TV HD...Mega TV HD...Velocity HD...and so many more that do not bring in waves of subscribers, but I'm sure are important to those that actually watch them.

Sandra

#784 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Totally agree with this post.

It's easy for someone to disparage niche sports when it falls into part of their overall agenda, but the bottom line is the vast majority of channels DirecTV carries are in fact niche channels.

I seriously doubt I will EVER watch Lifetime Movie Channel, and I have no idea what IDHD is...nor do I care to. But I realize there are people who do like these channels, and I'm happy they can now enjoy them in HD.

AXS TV HD...Mega TV HD...Velocity HD...and so many more that do not bring in waves of subscribers, but I'm sure are important to those that actually watch them.

Sandra

Who was disparaging niche sports? Both myself and Tony were pointing out that those other sports are in fact, niche. The strongest selling point for a channel like PAC-12 happens to be its strongest assets...football and basketball. That isn't disparaging to those other sports. It's simply the reality of their overall popularity.
DTV = Digital Television

#785 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Who was disparaging niche sports? Both myself and Tony were pointing out that those other sports are in fact, niche. The strongest selling point for a channel like PAC-12 happens to be its strongest assets...football and basketball. That isn't disparaging to those other sports. It's simply the reality of their overall popularity.

Doesn't change my overall point...much of what DirecTV carries can be described as 'niche'...yet they still carry it.

Sandra

#786 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Doesn't change my overall point...much of what DirecTV carries can be described as 'niche'...yet they still carry it.

Sandra

...and? The point being made was that a channel like PAC-12 is more attractive in retrans negotiations while their product is in its prime, rather than when it is not. They have a lull from about April until August. Many of the "niche" channels carried by DirecTV have their most popular programming running without any periods of extended absence. The same cannot be said for collegiate RSN's. Their bargaining power has peaks and valleys throughout the year.
DTV = Digital Television

#787 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

...and? The point being made was that a channel like PAC-12 is more attractive in retrans negotiations while their product is in its prime, rather than when it is not. They have a lull from about April until August. Many of the "niche" channels carried by DirecTV have their most popular programming running without any periods of extended absence. The same cannot be said for collegiate RSN's. Their bargaining power has peaks and valleys throughout the year.

Not arguing that any network could have more bargaining power at some times rather than others.

For me it's about wishing DirecTV would find a way to add the Pac-12 networks sometime...ANY time...because there are those of us for which the channel would have value all year round.

Sandra

#788 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 906 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the adds Directv. Anxious for the next wave! :-)
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#789 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Not arguing that any network could have more bargaining power at some times rather than others.

For me it's about wishing DirecTV would find a way to add the Pac-12 networks sometime...ANY time...because there are those of us for which the channel would have value all year round.

Sandra

I am sure they will when it makes good business sense to do so. They may be when DirecTV decides that they will get enough in return for that investment, when the network does something to add more value to their product, when the network reduces their cost or alters their terms to reduce the financial pact on DirecTV, or a combination of all the above.

Providers don't add channels on a whim. They add them when it makes good business sense to do so. The channels added today must have been preceded by terms, data, and research that led them to the conclusion that there were an acceptable risk to carry under contract.
DTV = Digital Television

#790 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Sandra

All well and good but we are not talking about a $.10 a month channel. When the channel costs a couple bucks, niche programming is not what drives it. (Football is not niche programming, BTW.)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#791 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I am sure they will when it makes good business sense to do so. They may be when DirecTV decides that they will get enough in return for that investment, when the network does something to add more value to their product, when the network reduces their cost or alters their terms to reduce the financial pact on DirecTV, or a combination of all the above.

Providers don't add channels on a whim. They add them when it makes good business sense to do so. The channels added today must have been preceded by terms, data, and research that led them to the conclusion that there were an acceptable risk to carry under contract.

Ya this is not really necessary, everything you just said is common knowledge to anyone who sat thru the first few days of Business 101.

I'm just giving my opinion of what I would like to see, just like everyone else in this thread.

Sandra

#792 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

ID HD and LMN HD look good. Everything on TV Land is 40+ years old so far so it's hard to tell if it looks good or not.

Murder she wrote looked pretty good. It was marked as HD when other older shows were not.

And the infomercial at 6 was pretty sharp.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#793 OFFLINE   bobkatF

bobkatF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for adding these channels, DirecTV.

The WAF of my home theater setup has just gone up a few notches.

#794 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

The only one of the three new ones I'll watch is TV Land. Wish they'd show more classics and in HD. Dick Van Dyke is on but it's not HD, yet the whole series is available in beautiful HD fully restored on Bluray.

#795 OFFLINE   NewsMag

NewsMag

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Someone could have noted that:
LMNHD is channel 253
IDHD is channel 285
TVLDHD is channel 304
More HD, now, Please! :new_puppy

#796 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

It's good to see the new networks in HD. However, it's the second wave of three that I will be watching.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#797 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Someone could have noted that:
LMNHD is channel 253
IDHD is channel 285
TVLDHD is channel 304

It is noted in the Sixto Report
http://www.dbstalk.c...086#post3168086

Once it's up, it's no longer anticipation.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#798 OFFLINE   BuffaloTF

BuffaloTF

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Well. My wife will be pumped for ID and LMN. Those are 2 biggies for her. Cooking will be the last of these 8 for her that will matter. H2 for myself.

Then afterwards all I can say I'll be anticipating are WE HD for her, the Hub HD for the kids, and BBC World News for myself.

#799 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Ya this is not really necessary, everything you just said is common knowledge to anyone who sat thru the first few days of Business 101.

Yet you ignore the realities of the situation. Anyway...
DTV = Digital Television

#800 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yet you ignore the realities of the situation. Anyway...

You sure know how to suck the enjoyment out of this forum.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...