Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#821 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

What on that page makes you think so?

Who posted it. It's a blog and the person who does it used their real name on it and lists their professional affiliations. They are member here, but under a different name. Not knowing if they want those details known, I won't post them. I agree with what they have said. It's the likely outcome in my opinion, although I'm more unsure about Encore.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#822 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

Who posted it. It's a blog and the person who does it used their real name on it and lists their professional affiliations. They are member here, but under a different name. Not knowing if they want those details known, I won't post them. I agree with what they have said. It's the likely outcome in my opinion, although I'm more unsure about Encore.

Fair enough. Looking at their Linked In profile, I'd say this forum isn't necessarily their only source of insider information, and the Jan. 31st statement does not match anything "DirecTV" said here, even if one is willing to report SR statements as "DirecTV confirmed".
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#823 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yet you ignore the realities of the situation. Anyway...

you just like to argue with everyone in this forum,take a chill pill :rolleyes:

#824 OFFLINE   revm1m

revm1m

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Is there a reason the DirecTV box deletes channels from favorites, but doesn't replace them with the HD version? They are the same number.

Everytime DirecTV changes a channel to HD I have to add them back to my favorites.

same here

#825 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

How ironic...
DTV = Digital Television

#826 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I find it kind of entertaining since I know I'll get a good laugh out of all his trivial replies. :lol:

#827 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Is there a reason the DirecTV box deletes channels from favorites, but doesn't replace them with the HD version? They are the same number.

Everytime DirecTV changes a channel to HD I have to add them back to my favorites.

Satteliteracer, could you open a bug report on this for us? I will send error reports from all my receivers and post in the issues thread later when I get home and get some time.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#828 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm hoping for RFD-TV in HD this year. Although it is very clearly a niche channel.

Edited by Tubaman-Z, 24 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.
Deleted reference that was likely too obscure.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#829 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Too funny, I checked HLN, IFC, COOK channels this morning, no HD, thought oh well, tomorrow I guess. I should have kept checking! Thanks Directv! More HD is always welcome:)

#830 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm hoping for RFD-TV in HD this year. Although it is very clearly a niche channel.

It would be nice to see everyone get something.

FMC.. RFD-TV...Military for the basic folks...this list is shrinking :icon_bb:

Pac 12 for the sports people

Plex Channels...Encore Drama for the Premier Crowd

#831 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

DirecTV-14 about a year away, and has room for 96 HD channels ...

2014 is getting closer and closer ...
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#832 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

DirecTV-14 about a year away, and has room for 96 HD channels ...

2014 is getting closer and closer ...

and how much is left that's not in HD six??....I'm wondering other than a backup should something go wrong...will that new bird even be used for more HD?

was there ever a new poll taken for HD wants? or is 2011 the marker? The entire top 10 of the 2011 poll will be fulfilled!! REALLY NICE !!

additional note: weirdly that Fox Movie Channel isn't on the 2011 poll of HD wants...

Edited by Santi360HD, 24 January 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#833 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Satteliteracer, could you open a bug report on this for us? I will send error reports from all my receivers and post in the issues thread later when I get home and get some time.

I think you will have to ask for that as an enhancement/new feature. It is not a bug. It is the way it is programmed/designed. Even though they are the same channel number, they are not the same channel.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#834 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I think you will have to ask for that as an enhancement/new feature. It is not a bug. It is the way it is programmed/designed. Even though they are the same channel number, they are not the same channel.

That is correct. They are the same "viewer" channel to the consumer, but in reality they aren't the same channel.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#835 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

and how much is left that's not in HD six??....I'm wondering other than a backup should something go wrong...will that new bird even be used for more HD?

You can see the list of what's available here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...32&postcount=17

There's also potential 4K HD in the future as well as future channels that haven't launched HD feeds yet like Teen Nick, Nick Jr, Nicktoons, VH1 Classic, tr3s, mun2, Documentary, Discovery Fit & Health, Discovery Familia, Discovery en Espanol, History en Espanol, Cinemoi, cloo, GAC, the rest of the Encores, Flix and Pursuit.

Boomerang is mostly classic pre-HD content from the Turner and WB library, I'd hate to see them apply the stretching they do for their other channels to most of their content.

ESPN Classic may go HD in the future, they seem to have a lot of filmed archives that can be converted.

I'm not sure about SoapNet who's fate is still in limbo. Comcast and RCN jumped at the chance to dump it when the initial plans were to have Disney Junior replace it, but the rest of the providers didn't and Disney Junior ended up launching using a new feed. Disney is still making new deals for it, having programming stunts and selling ads for it in the longterm.

Edited by KyL416, 24 January 2013 - 03:42 PM.
Forgot some major Spanish channels

#836 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

That is correct. They are the same "viewer" channel to the consumer, but in reality they aren't the same channel.

Its not user friendly for people's channels to disappear. If it weren't for this forum or technical minded folk, people would just lose channels. If it's a channel that means something to a customer, then that is wasted time and money on DirecTV's part fielding that phone call.

IMO that is a bug.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#837 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Its not user friendly for people's channels to disappear. If it weren't for this forum or technical minded folk, people would just lose channels. If it's a channel that means something to a customer, then that is wasted time and money on DirecTV's part fielding that phone call.

IMO that is a bug.

Well, good luck with fighting the real definition of a bug. Bad feature, sure, if you hate it. Bug, no. If you want to make things change, you have to learn the techniques.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#838 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,962 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

That applies to Series Links, as well.

#839 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I know this thread is for Directv HD additions, but is there a resource out there for channels that don't broadcast HD at all to be going HD? For example, the remaining Encore multiplexes, Flix...

For the most part, I think if it's not HD by now, there probably isn't in their plans.

#840 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

For the most part, I think if it's not HD by now, there probably isn't in their plans.

Not true at all, some channels like the Military Channel launched their HD feed as recently as December. Discovery recently completed a migration to MPEG4 for their HD feeds which will allow even more HD feeds in the near future.

spam firewall