Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#861 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

No need to be so dramatic.

I'm not really a "Drama King", but I have my moments! ;)

Oops. Thanks.

No problem...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#862 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

DirecTV made these beautiful hi-res banners saying LMN is in HD, Investigation discovery is in HD and TVLand is in HD. Funny thing is that you don't see them at all unless you add the new HD channels in the first place! Since the HD versions are not auto added, people will never see the banners! It pays to be a DBSTalk member!

Logos intact this round, learning from all this testing I see!

It really doesn't make any sense. The DVR should automatically add the new HD channels into your favorites if you have them already in your favorites.

The only way other people are going to know the new channels are there is when Direct sends the message.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#863 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

It really doesn't make any sense. The DVR should automatically add the new HD channels into your favorites if you have them already in your favorites.

The only way other people are going to know the new channels are there is when Direct sends the message.

This was already explained. It can't add something to your favorites list that didn't exist before. Despite the SD and HD versions of a channel having the same channel number, the two are entirely separate from one another.

That is correct. They are the same "viewer" channel to the consumer, but in reality they aren't the same channel.

DTV = Digital Television

#864 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Yep the " murder channel" ( ID ) looks great in HD.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#865 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Well finally got a chance to look at some of these new channels. They all look fantastic! Can't wait for the second batch... That'll be the better half.

To each their own... because that's pretty subjective.

Thursday, January 24:
1 HD channel I will watch fairly regularly, and have three Series Links set up for.
1 HD channel I will watch from time to time.
1 HD channel I have no interest in.

Thursday, January 31:
1 HD channel I watch from time to time.
1 HD channel that has a program I might give a try.
1 HD channel I might view once in a blue moon.
1 HD channel I have no interest in.

Logos intact this round, learning from all this testing I see!

I think that's more of a conscious decision than any learning experience.

#866 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

You sure know how to suck the enjoyment out of this forum.

Wait a minute! That's my job! (Isn't it?)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#867 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

True for some, but I see the banners and I didn't add the new channels. I have favorites set to channels I get, so the new channels and the banners are in my guide. And the majority of the DIRECTV subscribers probably don't even use favorites, unlike the users that post here. So they are seeing them as well.

Channels I get seems to be flawed. I tried it before on both a HR24 and an H24, but it consistently shows a ton of channels I don't get. Not only that but I weed out all the shopping and infomercial crap.

I think there could be an extra row in the channel table which would specify reference channel or a channel pairing. This row would have the same value stored in it for ID and IDHD for example. Then the software would have something to key off of to understand the channel relationship. But I would think it has something like this in the database already. How else would it know a channel is an HD duplicate of an SD channel? There already has to be logic built into the system for that in which they could reuse to query when channels are added or moved.

Anyway I had 1 receiver where the SD channels stayed in the guide and my other one completely removed these 3 new channels (SD AND HD). Both set to hide HD dupes and both set to a favorites list called FAVS.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#868 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

The 3 that were added are of no use to me but I am looking forward to the other 5.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#869 OFFLINE   spartacvs

spartacvs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

I have LMNHD and TVLANDHD but no IDHD, what's wrong?

Edit: it's on now right after my post.

#870 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

TVLand, ID and Lifetime Movies today.

HLN, Cooking, H2, IFC maybe next week or so. Also Encore Drama coming.

Cool Beans!!!

Can't wait to get H2 in HD along with The Cooking Channel and of course my wife will be Happy with HLN in HD!!! :)

Bring It On.....
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#871 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm excited for H2 and Cooking as well as Encore Action. The others were a bonus, but glad to get 'em!

Would still like to see Encore Drama added in HD at some point as well as any of the missing premiums (including Epix). Since Chiller in HD is up in the air as to whether it really exists or not, I'll throw my hat in the ring for FearNet.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#872 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

Three more channels for my 'HD Only' guide. I was tempted not to add the "Lifetime Movie HD" but, what the heck, I'll let it ride for now.

#873 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

All well and good but we are not talking about a $.10 a month channel. When the channel costs a couple bucks, niche programming is not what drives it. (Football is not niche programming, BTW.)

The relative success of a team may have significant impact on the appeal of a channel that shows their games. If the team is a perennial bottom-dweller, the channel may well be niche even if it is a big three sport.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#874 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

The relative success of a team may have significant impact on the appeal of a channel that shows their games. If the team is a perennial bottom-dweller, the channel may well be niche even if it is a big three sport.

Uh, no.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#875 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

This was already explained. It can't add something to your favorites list that didn't exist before. Despite the SD and HD versions of a channel having the same channel number, the two are entirely separate from one another.

Great. But it's a feature that could exist, it's something obviously other people and myself would enjoy. If the DVR automatically removes the SD version you have in your favorites when an HD version is added it would seem, looking at this from a user who appreciates well thought out interfaces, that the DVR could be programmed so if a HD channel popped up it would automatically replace the SD favorite with the HD one in your guide, in addition to updating series links. It's not like it would be impossible to create. Your 86 posts in this thread saying they are separate channels does not explain why this would not be a nice feature to have, nor does it help anyone.

#876 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

This is something that DirecTV should address though. I had forgotten to re-set my recordings on TV-Land, so Thursday it still recorded in SD. The same happened to my BBC America programming when it launched. Granted, its not very hard to change, but it would be much easier for most people if everything - including favorites list, channels I get, recordings, etc - automatically updated to the HD version of the channel, perhaps with a message note saying what has changed.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#877 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Great. But it's a feature that could exist, it's something obviously other people and myself would enjoy. If the DVR automatically removes the SD version you have in your favorites when an HD version is added it would seem, looking at this from a user who appreciates well thought out interfaces, that the DVR could be programmed so if a HD channel popped up it would automatically replace the SD favorite with the HD one in your guide, in addition to updating series links. It's not like it would be impossible to create. Your 86 posts in this thread saying they are separate channels does not explain why this would not be a nice feature to have, nor does it help anyone.

86 posts? I have ONE post in this thread about this single issue (favorites). That ONE post was further explanation of why it does not work the way some might imagine it does. Again, that was my ONE post on the subject. I think we will survive.

Edited by Hoosier205, 25 January 2013 - 12:10 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#878 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I have SD duplicates hidden in my guide, as I imagine many do. It is strange how that works.

For example, I had TV Land in the favorites list I normally use. However, I punched in the digits of the TV Land channel, and was taken to the HD channel. Using the top banner menu, I added it to my favorites list. When I hit Guide, both versions of TV Land appeared, one with and one without HD in the channel name. I tuned the SD one, and removed it from my favorites list via the top banner menu.

I thought it was strange that the box didn't recognize that the long-existing SD version of TV Land was now a "duplicate" that should be removed in favor of displaying the only new HD version of that channel.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#879 OFFLINE   rayjr66

rayjr66

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

This time, I noticed that the channel logos are still intact, although they do not have HD after them. Normally these disappear for awhile until after they have updated them. ION HD still has not been updated after several months.

Edited by rayjr66, 25 January 2013 - 12:25 PM.
grammar

#880 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is something that DirecTV should address though. I had forgotten to re-set my recordings on TV-Land, so Thursday it still recorded in SD. The same happened to my BBC America programming when it launched. Granted, its not very hard to change, but it would be much easier for most people if everything - including favorites list, channels I get, recordings, etc - automatically updated to the HD version of the channel, perhaps with a message note saying what has changed.

I have sent over a clip on this to engineering.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...