Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#881 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Personally I would like it to stay just the way it is. Does anyone remember setting up custom guides with the SD TiVo's and every time there was a new shopping channel or if a channel moved for one reason or the others it was automatically added in? Seems like I was always adjusting my custom guide. I like the current setup just the way it is.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#882 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Great. But it's a feature that could exist, it's something obviously other people and myself would enjoy. If the DVR automatically removes the SD version you have in your favorites when an HD version is added it would seem, looking at this from a user who appreciates well thought out interfaces, that the DVR could be programmed so if a HD channel popped up it would automatically replace the SD favorite with the HD one in your guide, in addition to updating series links. It's not like it would be impossible to create. Your 86 posts in this thread saying they are separate channels does not explain why this would not be a nice feature to have, nor does it help anyone.

LOL he does have like 50 posts in one week in this thread alone, defending all things DirecTV. You have to admire his vigilance in satisfying his agenda.
:eek2:

You also have to admire all the free times he has on his hands!!!

Sandra

#883 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

This is something that DirecTV should address though. I had forgotten to re-set my recordings on TV-Land, so Thursday it still recorded in SD. The same happened to my BBC America programming when it launched. Granted, its not very hard to change, but it would be much easier for most people if everything - including favorites list, channels I get, recordings, etc - automatically updated to the HD version of the channel, perhaps with a message note saying what has changed.

I'd prefer just a notice with (maybe) an option to upgrade. There are reasons to stick to SD for recording on some programming. If the SD is good enough on HD channels that insist on stretching, I would prefer to watch the SD. If it is a throwaway program and I have disk space issues, some prefer to record the SD program.

I am not in favor of ANYTHING automatically updating without user agreement in almost any case.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#884 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Personally I would like it to stay just the way it is. Does anyone remember setting up custom guides with the SD TiVo's and every time there was a new shopping channel or if a channel moved for one reason or the others it was automatically added in? Seems like I was always adjusting my custom guide. I like the current setup just the way it is.

If we're talking about adding a new channel then agree, don't automatically put it in any favorites. But if we're talking about a SD channel getting a HD version then yes I'd like to see both favorites and any series links get automatically changed to the HD version.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#885 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

If we're talking about adding a new channel then agree, don't automatically put it in any favorites. But if we're talking about a SD channel getting a HD version then yes I'd like to see both favorites and any series links get automatically changed to the HD version.

I can agree with this post.

Thing is, if your using favorites and lets just say IFC is selected and Hide SD Duplicates... When IFCHD goes live, it should be in that favorites list. How it could programmatically work is by looking at the already existing flag in the guide data that tells the system what SD channel its paired with.

The system obviously knows to hide AMC in SD for example if SD duplicates is selected. In my market our big locals are 3,6,10,29. The system correctly hides the SD (or HD) copy of them depending on the setting of "hide SD(/HD) duplicates". So half of the logic is already there which is half the battle for identification purposes.

The other issue is that the banners advertising that the new channels are in HD are HIDDEN if you don't have the HD channels added in the first place. So by default how would one even know to add the HD channels if the banners advertising them are hidden unless you add the channels! Moot point then!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#886 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Fair enough, I would just hate to see the all or nothing approach.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#887 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

The other issue is that the banners advertising that the new channels are in HD are HIDDEN if you don't have the HD channels added in the first place. So by default how would one even know to add the HD channels if the banners advertising them are hidden unless you add the channels! Moot point then!

I think you are onto something if the banners work right. Notification is something we can all agree on. Automatic versus user intervention is a grayer area.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#888 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

There are reasons to stick to SD for recording on some programming. If the SD is good enough on HD channels that insist on stretching, I would prefer to watch the SD. If it is a throwaway program and I have disk space issues, some prefer to record the SD program.

I hear what you're saying on those, but I think that would hit a very small portion of people for the kind of scenario we're talking about here (a formerly SD-only channel gets a new HD feed).

Yes, there may be some reasons someone may prefer the SD to the HD, but they'd almost always apply after consideration has been given to both feeds. . . which isn't the case with a new HD feed add. If I had to guess, probably 90%+ of the DVR base would prefer the automatic conversion to the HD feed for previously scheduled records when a new HD feed is added, even if some of those then later switched some of their records back to the SD feed.

Edited by georule, 25 January 2013 - 01:29 PM.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#889 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

I am of the opinion that the manually configurable favorites lists should remain manual, but with better notification of new channels. I'm not sure how to go about that though. Messages might be ignored and I'm not clear on whether everyone sees the banner ads for new additions. The occasional new feature screen might be a good use for new channel notification and a reminder to adjust recordings and lists.
DTV = Digital Television

#890 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I don't use a favorites list and have sd hidden. When they add an hd channel it doesn't automatically hide the sd version. I have to go into the menu and reset to show all then back to hide sd again to get ride of the sd duplicate.

#891 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,487 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I have my unit set to hide SD. Yesterday morning they were both showing. Later in the day I only saw the HD versions. I did nothing to the unit and after a while they were hidden, the way my unit was set.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#892 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I had a provider before DirecTV that didn't offer the option of favorite lists. It was a huge drawback. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't use that feature to see the channels they actually care about about, while hiding the ones they don't care about.
DTV = Digital Television

#893 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I think you are onto something if the banners work right. Notification is something we can all agree on. Automatic versus user intervention is a grayer area.

Seems that D* occasionally (not always as I recall) sends a Message to my banner announcing a new channel addition. If this can be sent to all users (HD and non-HD), then it would be a simple adjustment by the user to update their channel list, if they choose.

If I hadn't found this site years ago, I swear all I thought I had on my TiVo in HD was TNT (unless NFL games were on Sundays), ESPN 1 & 2 and Universal HD...
:eek2:

#894 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yes, and it was like this on Directv DVRs for a while and I had to keep Deleting or Unchecking New Channels that I did not want in my Customized Favorite Channel List. :nono2:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#895 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

I have my unit set to hide SD. Yesterday morning they were both showing. Later in the day I only saw the HD versions. I did nothing to the unit and after a while they were hidden, the way my unit was set.

My HR22 still has both TVLD showing, even tho it is set to hide SD duplicates (I haven't turned it off/on to try to get rid of it yet).
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#896 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

My HR22 still has both TVLD showing, even tho it is set to hide SD duplicates (I haven't turned it off/on to try to get rid of it yet).

I had that problem with one of the recent additions. Not sure which it was but think it was BBCA. When I turned off and on, my HR21 went a little nuts for a while, so I will live with it. I use favorites anyway and express tuning always goes to the HD version.

#897 OFFLINE   thenerks

thenerks

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

of the bunch H2 is the big one for me. Since History channel is nothing but reality tv. I may take a look at the cooking channel.

#898 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Going into Settings and restarting the DVR does the trick as well...

#899 OFFLINE   bige104

bige104

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

i come to this forum daily! i enjoy all the HD channels we get. It just gets me that the same poeple say if they get this channel or th at channel they will be happy< they get them and still complain!

#900 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I had that problem with one of the recent additions. Not sure which it was but think it was BBCA. When I turned off and on, my HR21 went a little nuts for a while, so I will live with it. I use favorites anyway and express tuning always goes to the HD version.

Really the only thing I use the guide for regularly is checking out the premium movie channels to see if there's anything I want to record.

Turning Hide SD Duplicates off/on again in settings did take care of it.

I don't use a favorites list because if I'm genuinely cruising the guide it is because I'm not looking for anything in particular, and would rather let something catch my eye, so don't care to subset.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...