Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

still can't believe we don't have Headline News in HD yet ......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

CBC Newsworld was never available in the USA, what we had was Newsworld International, which was purchased by Al Gore to create Current in 2005. ...

And as mentioned in another thread, Al-Jazeera purchased Current TV and it will be called called Al-Jazeera America [link]. Time Warner Cable is dropping it, will DIRECTV be next?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#83 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

And as mentioned in another thread, Al-Jazeera purchased Current TV and it will be called called Al-Jazeera America [link]. Time Warner Cable is dropping it, will DIRECTV be next?

In the information released to the press they said Current's existing distribution agreements with Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network, FiOS and U-Verse are included.

#84 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

In the information released to the press they said Current's existing distribution agreements with Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network, FiOS and U-Verse are included.

but owner and content change can void distribution agreements.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#85 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Not all agreements include content and owner escape clauses, it depends what terms they agreed to. When The Health Network was sold to Discovery and became FitTV, Cablevision had to keep it, but as soon as the agreement they signed while it was owned by Fox expired, they dropped it. When Discovery Health became OWN, Discovery wanted to have everyone negotiate a higher deal, but with only 3 shows announced, none of which featured Oprah and the launch being delayed several years, most of them chose to wait it out and stick to the existing deal.

The deal was actually made last year, it wasn't until they got the final approvals that they announced it yesterday. Al Jazeera would have just continued trying to get coverage with their existing channel as the purchase of Current would have been worthless if it didn't include distribution agreements.

i.e. Not really cable, but Time Warner was ready to sell WCW to Eric Bischoff and financial backers in March 2001, but they pulled out at the last minute when Turner decided not to include a timeslot on TNT as part of the deal. Without distribution it made the deal worthless.

#86 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I know it isn't "anticipation" but all of my remaining local affiliates, WNLO 23, WNYO 49, ION 51 and even an Indie station WBBZ 67 (with no HD programming I know of, bars on the sides with the call letters) in Buffalo, are suddenly HD. So either they silently launched, or I've been completely oblivious for a long time. Anyone else seeing locals popping up? Maybe the early in the year stuff is more LIL...

ion 51 is just a remap of IonEHD channel 305 since mid-September and the other three went live Dec 19th...

#87 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

and is it really a content change? It was a news channel before, it's going to be a news channel after. They can't drop CNN because they start focusing on the Arab Spring vs whatever news story of the day is happening in the US.

#88 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

There is a thread for discussing Current TV and the purchase by Al-Jazeera.
This thread is for discussing potential new HD channels, not potential SD channel losses.

#89 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 901 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

I get the feeling January will be too soon for any newly added basic-cable linear HD. That is with consideration to hints by Satelliteracer. So, I will look to February.

The basic-cable programmer whose HD I feel most strongly to become a high-def addition is H2, formerly History International, and part of A&E Networks. It would make sense to bring in with it LMN HD. But last year came additions of E! Entertainment Television HD (without Style Network HD) and DIY Network HD (without Cooking Channel HD), so I wouldn't presume a natural connection. H2 HD, I figure, would come in before LMN HD, if it turns out both wouldn't get added on the same date.

#90 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I get the feeling January will be too soon for any newly added basic-cable linear HD. That is with consideration to hints by Satelliteracer. So, I will look to February.

The basic-cable programmer whose HD I feel most strongly to become a high-def addition is H2, formerly History International, and part of A&E Networks. It would make sense to bring in with it LMN HD. But last year came additions of E! Entertainment Television HD (without Style Network HD) and DIY Network HD (without Cooking Channel HD), so I wouldn't presume a natural connection. H2 HD, I figure, would come in before LMN HD, if it turns out both wouldn't get added on the same date.

You may be right, but think positive. I still think sometime in January.

#91 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Just heard on NPR that AL Jazeera has bought Current TV, so it may be here sooner than later.

I never watched Current and thought that a waste, yet there it was in HD. Now I have entirely new reasons not to watch it.

How about CSPAN if you want public information channels in HD? Seems odd to exclude that and add al Jazeera, but maybe that's just my US bias showing.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#92 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

We're still very early. We can see a test channel go up and a week later it's live. And we still have 4 Wednesdays left (not that they always go by that schedule).

#93 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I never watched Current and thought that a waste, yet there it was in HD. Now I have entirely new reasons not to watch it.

How about CSPAN if you want public information channels in HD? Seems odd to exclude that and add al Jazeera, but maybe that's just my US bias showing.

Current is in HD?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#94 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,109 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

bright house central florida is dropping it!

#95 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Looks like Dish will be getting the rest of the Cablevision channels in HD (like IFC and WE) soon since they're now uplinked in test mode. Guess we have to wait at least another week for any hints of what might be coming, soon.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#96 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Would like to see Fox Movie Channel in HD. Which cable or satellite providers is it available on, if at all?

#97 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Would like to see Fox Movie Channel in HD. Which cable or satellite providers is it available on, if at all?

Per Wikipedia Fox Movie Channel HD launched early in 2012 and is available with some cable systems.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#98 OFFLINE   sabrewulf

sabrewulf

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Id like LMN, HLN, GSN, GMC, and RFD

#99 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

DirecTV was part owner of Current, and was apparently paid enough to keep Al Jazeera as a channel. Would like to see Glenn Beck TV in HD instead!

I have Current blocked out now, and it will stay blocked out. Advise others to do the same.

#100 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

DirecTV was part owner of Current, and was apparently paid enough to keep Al Jazeera as a channel. Would like to see Glenn Beck TV in HD instead!

I have Current blocked out now, and it will stay blocked out. Advise others to do the same.

:eek2:

spam firewall