Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1021 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Which you said was fairly accurate...without knowing how the OP defined major. Nice back peddling.

This is not the place for semantics. I stated "fairly accurate"... I stand by my statement. No back peddling necessary... ;)

The bottom line is that while TWC in NY has a very good lineup, most of us do not live where we can receive TWC's NY channel lineup... and DirecTV keeps improving their lineup.

I'm anticipating good things to come this week, and more in the 3Q! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1022 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Which you said was fairly accurate...without knowing how the OP defined major. Nice back peddling.

The other poster was right....you take the fun out of coming to this forum.

Sandra

#1023 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm anticipating good things to come this week, and more in the 3Q! :D

After this weeks ads, how do you know we have to wait all the way until 3rd quarter just to get anything else? I hope it doesn't go another 6 months of nothing!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1024 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

The bottom line is that while TWC in NY has a very good lineup,

I never said otherwise.
DTV = Digital Television

#1025 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I also dislike the increasing equipment fees, but I think that this will be the public rationale for it:

1. "We (D*) keep upgrading the software - and our programmers and their development environments aren't free. So even if you have the same equipment, you get more value from it." (Not sure how this holds for non-DVR receivers)
2. "We have increasing internal costs that have nothing to do with the content providers - infrastructure improvements, labor costs, etc.. While the annual package cost increase defrays some/all of the increased content cost it doesn't cover our other expenses."

Again, don't mistake me - I dislike the increasing equipment costs and as such am strongly considering canceling 2 DVRs (leaving me with 1 DVR and no receivers) and replacing them with Roku HD boxes. One time cost of $60 each.

Yup. Software downloads, new features like Pandora, YouTube, etc...those cost money. HD guide development, expanding VOD to 10,000 titles, all requirement system improvements and all come with a cost. Whether it is licensing fees to folks like NDS or third party services or internal improvements of the software, etc, there are costs.

I'm not sure why someone earlier brought up the lease fee. The lease fee isn't changing and has changed only twice since inception. One year it went up one penny from $4.99 to $5.00. Another year it went up $1.00 to today's rate of $6.00 which has been the rate for several years. The first receiver is free.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1026 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

After this weeks ads, how do you know we have to wait all the way until 3rd quarter just to get anything else? I hope it doesn't go another 6 months of nothing!

I hope it doesn't go another 6 months either, but my statement was in reference to the fact that we have been told more is to come in the 3Q. If we get more prior to that, that's a cherry on top.

To be honest though, outside of The CW DNS feeds, there's nothing I'm in any rush to get in HD, and since I'm not expecting them anytime soon, it really doesn't matter to me when the next expansion is (at this time)... just that they keep coming. :)

#1027 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Yeah they do, but the picture artifacts from squeezing so many channels onto each QAM. What they have that DirecTV does not are certainly channels many here would like with varying importance:

WE
Fuse
Outdoor
QVC
HSN
RFD
G4
MTV2
The Hub
EWTN
OuterMax
Fear Net
Style
Gospel Music Channel
Bloomberg
Sundance
Reelz
BBC World News
Oxygen
ESPN Deportes
TV Guide
Pac 12 Network
Pac 12 - 6 dedicated channels for Arizona, LA, Washington, Oregon, Mountain and Bay Area
Gol TV *shakes fist*

To get all would presumably put the wait out to a new launch... but hopefully a few of these are still coming.

I do not see anything in that list that I would define as a "major" channel. Except for one 30 minute show on RFD that has only about 12 new episodes per year, BBC World News (which DirecTV does noteven have in SD) and WE are the only two on the list I would ever watch, and they are far down on the priority list. The bottom line is that all of the "major" channels are already in HD on DirecTV, and the picture quality is very good.

#1028 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

A friend of mine has TWC, and ALL the major channels are in HD.

What are "major" channels in your view? And care to post the city where that friend lives, so we can view a channel listing on TWC's website?
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1029 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I do not see anything in that list that I would define as a "major" channel. Except for one 30 minute show on RFD that has only about 12 new episodes per year, BBC World News (which DirecTV does noteven have in SD) and WE are the only two on the list I would ever watch, and they are far down on the priority list. The bottom line is that all of the "major" channels are already in HD on DirecTV, and the picture quality is very good.

Meh. One person's major is another person's minor. I consider the Pac-12 Networks extremely major, and also GolTV. DirecTV moving them out of the sports pack to the Spanish programming package, which you need a special Dish for, still boggles my freaking mind.

Sandra

#1030 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Yup. Software downloads, new features like Pandora, YouTube, etc...those cost money. HD guide development, expanding VOD to 10,000 titles, all requirement system improvements and all come with a cost. Whether it is licensing fees to folks like NDS or third party services or internal improvements of the software, etc, there are costs.

I'm not sure why someone earlier brought up the lease fee. The lease fee isn't changing and has changed only twice since inception. One year it went up one penny from $4.99 to $5.00. Another year it went up $1.00 to today's rate of $6.00 which has been the rate for several years. The first receiver is free.

directv DVR has apps??? I only have an HD non DVR...so your reply will sway me 1 way or the other..

#1031 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

directv DVR has apps??? I only have an HD non DVR...so your reply will sway me 1 way or the other..

For a long time now.
DTV = Digital Television

#1032 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

For a long time now.

good to know...Monetary options for DVR service will get revisited by me...maybe I'll retire torrent sites for my shows and I'll be the DVR from here on..

#1033 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Is there an 'ignore' feature on this forum? I'd love to ignore someone.

#1034 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

One person's major is another person's minor.

Some of the channels added last week and this week, I'd consider major.

Of the TWC list, I'd say there are some "mini-majors" missing from DirecTV, but probably not what I'd consider "major".

While of no interest to me, the C-Span channels are probably one of the biggest names on TWC missing from DirecTV.

#1035 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Well, my "few years" is a bit more than double your three years. Now does it scan? A huge bump with the switch out of MPEG 2's to MPEG 4's, and further with the intro of the HR 24, then the HR34...

Fair enough - you were equating a "few years" to 6, I was equating it to 3. So sure, there has been significant change in available DVR technology going back to 2006/2007. Excepting the change from MPEG2 to 4 I would guess that it has been more about customers obtaining HD capable equipment for the first time vs. updating MPEG 4 equipment that they already have. I admittedly have no data to back this up.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#1036 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

good to know...Monetary options for DVR service will get revisited by me...maybe I'll retire torrent sites for my shows and I'll be the DVR from here on..

Yes, the legal route does have its advantages.
DTV = Digital Television

#1037 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Completely understand and I have no issue with D* raising fees to cover their increasing fixed costs. I believe that D* is a good value for the content that we watch. It's simply a matter of budget. When I had a budgetary mtg with the congress at my house and asked for a raising of the debt limit, the response I got was "What do you want me to do? Print more money?" :D

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#1038 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

to the Spanish programming package, which you need a special Dish for, still boggles my freaking mind.

Sandra

anyone??.........does D* need a second dish or special LNB for foreign? I didn't think they did?? so if I ever decided to activate Spanish package it'd not work on my slimline HD LNB ?

#1039 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

anyone??.........does D* need a second dish or special LNB for foreign? I didn't think they did?? so if I ever decided to activate Spanish package it'd not work on my slimline HD LNB ?

The internationals that are in the 2000s range are on 95 and require a special dish. Why it requires a different dish shouldn't "boggle the mind", it's just at a different location and uses a different type of beam so it requires a different LNB.

Spanish is on 119 and are available with a slimline 5, in addition to spanish programming they also have SD locals for some markets, several Sonic Tap channels (most notibly many of the Jazz channels and Holidays and Happenings), and some PI channels that might be of interest like Jewish Life and Hope. Since 119 is much lower on the horizon many people in the northeast have problems getting line of site with it so thankfully there is no main national channels on it. Prior to the Slimline 3 coming out many people in the area were screwed if they wanted HD and had any trees to the southwest.

#1040 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

The internationals that are in the 2000s range are on 95 and require a special dish.

Spanish is on 119 and are available with a slimline 5, in addition to spanish programming they also have SD locals for some markets, several Sonic Tap channels (most notibly many of the Jazz channels and Holidays and Happenings), and some PI channels that might be of interest like Jewish Life and Hope.

always learn something new on this site...thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...