Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1041 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Is there an 'ignore' feature on this forum? I'd love to ignore someone.

Yes.

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:

Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit Ignore List. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1042 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Meh. One person's major is another person's minor. I consider the Pac-12 Networks extremely major, and also GolTV. DirecTV moving them out of the sports pack to the Spanish programming package, which you need a special Dish for, still boggles my freaking mind.

Sandra

I agree that any channel is a "must have" for some users, but that does not change the fact that the channels that are "must have" for the majority of the users are already in HD on DirecTV.

After Thursday's additions, the only "major" missing channel for me is Universal Sports HD, but I realize that Universal Sports HD is not a "must have" for most viewers, so even though it is major for me, I cannot consider it a "major" channel.

#1043 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

The internationals that are in the 2000s range are on 95 and require a special dish. Why it requires a different dish shouldn't "boggle the mind", it's just at a different location and uses a different type of beam so it requires a different LNB.

What boggles the mind is the DirecTV decision to move GolTV out of the sports pack, and offer it only in the Spanish language package....a channel that, while it was in the sports pack, I watched in ENGLISH.

Sandra

#1044 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,995 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

What boggles the mind is the DirecTV decision to move GolTV out of the sports pack, and offer it only in the Spanish language package....a channel that, while it was in the sports pack, I watched in ENGLISH.

DirecTV's rationization was that Gol lost most of their more popular rights to BeIn, however what it really means is that you need a spanish package to get GERMAN Soccer...

#1045 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

DirecTV's rationization was that Gol lost most of their more popular rights to BeIn, however what it really means is that you need a spanish package to get GERMAN Soccer...

also why was the HD channel scrapped??I mean yeah if it was a channel I watched and it got moved to a different tier i'd likely buy said tier to continue watching..but Im puzzled why the HD channel was scrapped..

#1046 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

also why was the HD channel scrapped??I mean yeah if it was a channel I watched and it got moved to a different tier i'd likely buy said tier to continue watching..but Im puzzled why the HD channel was scrapped..

It obviously was no longer worth the cost and that cost can be measured in different ways.
DTV = Digital Television

#1047 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Wonder whats going to fill in the blanks if Fox Soccer ceases broadcatsing...

http://www.lagconfid...oes-it-all-mean

#1048 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Wonder whats going to fill in the blanks if Fox Soccer ceases broadcatsing...

http://www.lagconfid...oes-it-all-mean

FX is supposed to split into two channels. FSC would become the comedy arm of FX, and FX would be an action/drama channel.

#1049 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

That's the crazy part. And aside from German soccer, GolTV also carries soccer from Brazil, Argentina and other South American leagues, as well as World Cup qualifiers from both Europe and South America.

Sandra

#1050 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

That's the crazy part. And aside from German soccer, GolTV also carries soccer from Brazil, Argentina and other South American leagues, as well as World Cup qualifiers from both Europe and South America.

Sandra

They lost a lot of prime content. It wasn't worth keeping where it was apparently.
DTV = Digital Television

#1051 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

They lost a lot of prime content. It wasn't worth keeping where it was apparently.

As I stated, in my opinion they still have a lot of prime content. You made your point, you can move on now.

Sandra

#1052 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

It's been a while since I compared, but it can be looked up online.

LINK - PDF

http://www.timewarne...nel-lineup.html

Impressive HD lineup, but Directv is slowly but surely catching up. After this weeks additions, I'd like to see FMCHD and REELZHD.

#1053 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

As I stated, in my opinion they still have a lot of prime content. You made your point, you can move on now.

Sandra

You said it boggled your mind. I attempted to unboggle it. The channel obviously wasn't worth keeping where it was going forward. If it is that important to you then you should choose a provider that offers it the way you want or launch your own service provider and you can make those decisions for yourself.
DTV = Digital Television

#1054 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Let's make sure it stays civil people. Discuss the topic and not each other.

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 29 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#1055 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

You said it boggled your mind. I attempted to unboggle it. The channel obviously wasn't worth keeping where it was going forward. If it is that important to you then you should choose a provider that offers it the way you want or launch your own service provider and you can make those decisions for yourself.

As I stated, you made your point and can move on now.

Move on to something you never responded to....if DirecTV is not going carry GolTV the least they can do is remove it from their HD channel lineup on their website, right? Right?

Even YOU can admit that is false advertising by DirecTV. Right?

Sandra

#1056 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Meh. One person's major is another person's minor. I consider the Pac-12 Networks extremely major, and also GolTV. DirecTV moving them out of the sports pack to the Spanish programming package, which you need a special Dish for, still boggles my freaking mind.

Sandra

I don't think you need a special dish for GOL. You need a 5-LNB feed. The dish you need depends on if your dish will support that or not. I have lost track of which dishes are which, but when I was having some line of sight issues, they took my 5-LNB off and replaced it with a 3-LNB without changing the dish itself. I had access to some Spanish channels that I do not anymore because my current setup does not see all the standard satellites.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1057 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

As I stated, you made your point and can move on now.

Move on to something you never responded to....if DirecTV is not going carry GolTV the least they can do is remove it from their HD channel lineup on their website, right? Right?

Even YOU can admit that is false advertising by DirecTV. Right?

Sandra

It's not listed on page used to display the base programming packages: http://www.directv.c...questid=1931721

It's not listed on the paged used to display the Sports Pack offerings: http://www.directv.c...k?lpos=Header:3

The only place it is still listed is here: http://www.directv.c...ogy/hd_channels

That's a page that takes a fair amount of navigation to get to in the first place.

Why DirecTV? -> What DirecTV Offers -> Best in TV Entertainment -> More HD/More Info -> Channel Lineup

That page also doesn't list the channels they added last week. Are you going to claim that is false advertising as well? I'm sure they will update it eventually, but it is not the page people are going to be looking at when choosing a package or determining what channels they will receive.

#1058 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,621 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

That page also doesn't list the channels they added last week. Are you going to claim that is false advertising as well? I'm sure they will update it eventually, but it is not the page people are going to be looking at when choosing a package or determining what channels they will receive.

They did miss it and screwed up. They have Time Warner Sportsnet on the list, which was added after GolTV was removed, so they blew it here.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1059 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't think you need a special dish for GOL. You need a 5-LNB feed. The dish you need depends on if your dish will support that or not. I have lost track of which dishes are which, but when I was having some line of sight issues, they took my 5-LNB off and replaced it with a 3-LNB without changing the dish itself. I had access to some Spanish channels that I do not anymore because my current setup does not see all the standard satellites.

You do need a special dish in the Jersey Shore area. They tried adding the Spanish package for me (and I don't speak Spanish!) but they said I would need a dish upgrade.

Sandra

#1060 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Too funny!!!

Sandra

Protected By... spam firewall...And...