Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1101 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Looks like I will enjoy Portlandia in HD this Friday on IFC!

Thanks Satracer!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1102 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Really can't. They do not unilaterally decide when channels go on the air. A lot is under their control but just as much, if not more, is not. They have to make a deal for price and content rights that gets started on a specific date. All that has to be in agreement with both parties. They have to get the technical side up and that means they have to schedule it and, perhaps, acquire more hardware. But there is technical on the other side, too, as the channel has to be made available. Testing is another, smaller, variable, but with all these variables adding up, the channels come when they come.

But, anyway, if they added 2 per month, the 8 they are adding in two weeks would be 4 months worth. So, 3-6 months is not off your mark.

i understand what your saying but i don't like reading "soon" when people ask for a channel we all just guessing here.

#1103 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,086 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Things change, you never know. I'm 99.9% certain there will be at least one more coming in late Q1 or very early Q2.

Hmm. March/April.

Baseball opening day is March 31.

Just sayin.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1104 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

i understand what your saying but i don't like reading "soon" when people ask for a channel we all just guessing here.

Well, "soon" is often the best answer available.
DTV = Digital Television

#1105 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 883 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

All 5 coming tomorrow. At one point looked like 4 and maybe 1 next week, but fortunately all 5 at 6:00am EST tomorrow. More HD in 2013 to come.

Thank you!

#1106 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,086 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Of course we are. Everyone except SatRacer.

Then guessing goes away when test channels appear and Sixto finds them. Then we get to guess on the exact launch date.

Would you rather know nothing at all or have some guesses that range from wild-ass to semi-knowledgeable?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1107 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 775 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

In the days before local channels were added directv rarely ever added more than one channel a month. Then locals came along they started adding them in bunches.

#1108 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

All 5 coming tomorrow. At one point looked like 4 and maybe 1 next week, but fortunately all 5 at 6:00am EST tomorrow. More HD in 2013 to come.

:hurah:
His posts alone are reason enough to keep this thread alive, interwoven...
:hurah:

#1109 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well, "soon" is often the best answer available.

...and the most comprehensive...

#1110 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

The "soon" response is just an old forum joke that wore out long ago, but some still use it in an attempt to be snide or funny.

Bottom line is that other than Satelliteracer, no one here knows (or at least can share) that info.

#1111 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 635 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

The "soon" response is just an old forum joke that wore out long ago, but some still use it in an attempt to be snide or funny.

Bottom line is that other than Satelliteracer, no one here knows (or at least can share) that info.

Exactly right a worn out joke kinda like "that's what she said"

Old & worn, but still has it's moments of briliance!:)

#1112 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Outstanding news about the availability of H2 HD tomorrow. We're approaching the point at which I can reduce my outlays for Comcast TV.

#1113 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Outstanding news about the availability of H2 HD tomorrow. We're approaching the point at which I can reduce my outlays for Comcast TV.

Until FIOS (if it ever) comes to Northern Manhattan..I'll be stuck with relying on Time Warner for Internet..So I'll always have D* and TWC in some form..

#1114 OFFLINE   R0am3r

R0am3r

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Things change, you never know. I'm 99.9% certain there will be at least one more coming in late Q1 or very early Q2.

Great news! Thanks for the updates.

#1115 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Until FIOS (if it ever) comes to Northern Manhattan..I'll be stuck with relying on Time Warner for Internet..So I'll always have D* and TWC in some form..

As I understand it, in eastern cities where FIOS and Comcast compete, the latter both introduced 305mbps internet speed and more than doubled the speed of its 50mbps tier at no extra cost. In Monterey, which lacks FIOS as an alternative (paralleling your situation), Comcast offers no such options. Consequently, I pay 70% more for 105mbps than my counterparts back east.

I ultimately will retain a basic HD package from Comcast both to insure against rain fade and enjoy access to two PBS HD channels.

#1116 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

Honestly, I don't know often either. :) Things change a lot. Many moving parts. Share what I can, but putting things out too far in advance can lead to some false expectations if a hiccup occurs. So we try not to do that. Unfortunately that means vague timing, but not sure how to avoid that.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1117 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 805 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Honestly, I don't know often either. :) Things change a lot. Many moving parts. Share what I can, but putting things out too far in advance can lead to some false expectations if a hiccup occurs. So we try not to do that. Unfortunately that means vague timing, but not sure how to avoid that.

C'mon Satelliteracer, it's not like it's rocket scie.... never mind.

#1118 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

SatelliteRacer,

I'm curious about something. Setting aside for a moment the beta testing that happens as part of the Cutting Edge program, does D* get any particular value from these forums/the discussions? I and many others sincerely value your contributions across the many threads - your perspectives and insights not just about D* but about the industry in general are very helpful. On the other hand I feel like sometimes we may cause "trouble" (advocating CSR roulette?) for D* that can't be appreciated. Anyway - just curious if there is any particular value for D* to what goes on here (again -outside of CE).

(I know - this isn't about HD anticipation. But thanks to SatRacer we already know we are looking out to 2Q for a 99.9% chance of adding 1 more.)

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#1119 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

SatelliteRacer,

I'm curious about something. Setting aside for a moment the beta testing that happens as part of the Cutting Edge program, does D* get any particular value from these forums/the discussions? I and many others sincerely value your contributions across the many threads - your perspectives and insights not just about D* but about the industry in general are very helpful. On the other hand I feel like sometimes we may cause "trouble" (advocating CSR roulette?) for D* that can't be appreciated. Anyway - just curious if there is any particular value for D* to what goes on here (again -outside of CE).

(I know - this isn't about HD anticipation. But thanks to SatRacer we already know we are looking out to 2Q for a 99.9% chance of adding 1 more.)

Absolutely. I will glance through them usually a few minutes a day and sometimes something will catch my eye that I escalate. Others that monitor do the same. There are usually tidbits that are very helpful.

Now, certainly the nature of most forums (whether it is DBS, telephone, politics, sports, etc) can bring out the forces of negativity at times, but that's the nature of the forum. It's understandable. Not many times where customers call just to say I LOVE YOU. Same goes for a message forum, but there is some really good insight from regular every day users that is invaluable. There is other insight from "super users" that is often really out of the box that I enjoy reading. A good mix from all sorts of users. Some good, some bad, some deserved, some not deserved. You take it all.

It's a good place. :)
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#1120 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Absolutely. I will glance through them usually a few minutes a day and sometimes something will catch my eye that I escalate. Others that monitor do the same. There are usually tidbits that are very helpful.

Now, certainly the nature of most forums (whether it is DBS, telephone, politics, sports, etc) can bring out the forces of negativity at times, but that's the nature of the forum. It's understandable. Not many times where customers call just to say I LOVE YOU. Same goes for a message forum, but there is some really good insight from regular every day users that is invaluable. There is other insight from "super users" that is often really out of the box that I enjoy reading. A good mix from all sorts of users. Some good, some bad, some deserved, some not deserved. You take it all.

It's a good place. :)

That's the very mature attitude of an internet forum veteran, imo.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

spam firewall