Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1181 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Just scrolled thru my Favorites Guide of 125 channels and only 5 not in HD: STYLE, TVGN, VH1C, CSP1, CSP2. And that's not stuff I record, just channels in the Favorites Guide. Of those 5, have watched a few shows on VH1C lately, but probably haven't touched the other 4 maybe once/twice a year for something interesting for a few minutes.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1182 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

Portlandia is now in HD!

'Nuff said.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#1183 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

As DirecTV adds HD channels, I have to believe all the HD channels are taking a hit in bandwidth. This must be degrading the PQ.

There is only so much bandwidth to go around.

Edited by tzphotos.com, 31 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.
Changed some to so

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#1184 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

As DirecTV adds HD channels, I have to believe all the HD channels are taking a hit in bandwidth. This must be degrading the PQ.

There is only some much bandwidth to go around.

Since they've been adding channels for awhile now with 6 per transponder vs. 5 have you seen a difference?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#1185 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

D10 tp 1 and 2 were empty I believe. That's capacity for 12 HD right there. We got 8 new HD so there's still room for 4 more without messing with other transponders or uplinks.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1186 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

As far as we know, there has been zero impact.

As an example, of the recent 8 additions, 4 are on D10 Transponder #1, 4 on D10 Transponder #2, with nothing else.

D10  1 FT  204 HLNHD   1040 PID823
D10  1 FT  232 COOKHD  1030 PID823
D10  1 FT  271 H2HD    1020 PID823
D10  1 FT  559 IFCHD   1010 PID823
D10  1 PT 9510 DTV     1090 PID823

D10  2 FT  253 LMNHD   1010 PID823 
D10  2 FT  285 IDHD    1030 PID823
D10  2 FT  304 TVLDHD  1020 PID823
D10  2 FT  541 EACTHD  1040 PID823 
D10  2 PT 9511 DTV     1090 PID823

There's been a shift to new encoders which allow 6 HD per transponder with little to zero impact to PQ.

No one has noticed any change that I've seen here, since the expensive migration began little-by-little many months ago.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#1187 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yes this is great.

Some interesting notes though on how my equipment handled this...
HR24-200 DVR-
SD versions stayed in the guide. A casual guide scroller loses nothing (but gains nothing). Entering the channel numbers takes you to the HD Versions. So I entered each number (THANK YOU FORUM - I wouldn't remember the exact numbers any other way!). Then arrow over to add to favs. Then channel UP (takes me to the SD version of the channel). arrow to remove from favs. Done.
Logos intact it seems. Once HD channels were added, banners advertising these channels are now in HD appeared in the guide.

H24-200-
All of these channels were completely removed from the guide. A casual user would have lost these. Manual number entry was required. Then arrow over and add to favs.
No logos for these channels... just large text.

Common:
Hide SD Duplicates
Both running a favorites list called "FAVS"
Both on the latest CE

Channel observations:
Though 2 had infomercials, HLN looked spectacular and IFCHD looks just like it does when I watch it on Blue Ridge Cable at the in-laws. Encore Action I can't test because I reduced my package to the one right before Encores. If the rest of the Encores go HD along with STYLE and PBS Sprout, I will upgrade to the next level. I just don't pay for the next package when most of the differences are just SD channels.

These are great additions and I will surely make use out of them!

You're right. I had to manually tune, add to favorites, tune again to the SD version, and remove that one from favorites. I've never noticed the receiver offering me the SD version of a channel when I know the HD version exists, except in the case of those adds last week. Weird. Will see what it does tonight when I examine today's batch.

Now, my 3- and 6-year-olds won't care if Sprout is in HD, but if I must be around it so much, I sure would appreciate it.:D
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#1188 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

My top five remaining are:

1 Universal Sports
2 WE
3 Universal Sports
4 Military
5 Universal Sports

You forgot to include your Favorite Channel, Universal Sports!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#1189 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yes this is great.

Some interesting notes though on how my equipment handled this...
HR24-200 DVR-
SD versions stayed in the guide. A casual guide scroller loses nothing (but gains nothing). Entering the channel numbers takes you to the HD Versions. So I entered each number (THANK YOU FORUM - I wouldn't remember the exact numbers any other way!). Then arrow over to add to favs. Then channel UP (takes me to the SD version of the channel). arrow to remove from favs. Done.
Logos intact it seems. Once HD channels were added, banners advertising these channels are now in HD appeared in the guide.

H24-200-
All of these channels were completely removed from the guide. A casual user would have lost these. Manual number entry was required. Then arrow over and add to favs.
No logos for these channels... just large text.

Common:
Hide SD Duplicates
Both running a favorites list called "FAVS"
Both on the latest CE

Channel observations:
Though 2 had infomercials, HLN looked spectacular and IFCHD looks just like it does when I watch it on Blue Ridge Cable at the in-laws. Encore Action I can't test because I reduced my package to the one right before Encores. If the rest of the Encores go HD along with STYLE and PBS Sprout, I will upgrade to the next level. I just don't pay for the next package when most of the differences are just SD channels.

These are great additions and I will surely make use out of them!

I still don't understand why the DVR can't assume you want to have the HD version in your favorites vs the old SD.

Also, why would you ever want both versions in you favorites list? When would you watch the SD version if the HD version is available. Even on an old TV the HD version should look better.

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

#1190 OFFLINE   ahearst

ahearst

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

It's good to finally have HLN HD! It was one of the last channels that I watched in annoying SD.

+1

#1191 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

You're right. I had to manually tune, add to favorites, tune again to the SD version, and remove that one from favorites. I've never noticed the receiver offering me the SD version of a channel when I know the HD version exists, except in the case of those adds last week. Weird. Will see what it does tonight when I examine today's batch.

I Edited My Favorites and Entered 204 for HLN and then I checked it but on 2 of my DVRs (HR23-700s) the SD did not show up but on my 5 HR24-500s they showed both channels so I Unchecked the SD Version and Checked the HD Version and now it is working but there is definitely a difference in the 2 Models.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#1192 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Thx Directv for the new HD adds!

On my short list now is:
Fox Movie Channel HD
Reelz HD
Oxygen HD
Cinemoi HD

Followed by:
WE HD
TVGN HD
Ovation HD
GSN HD
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#1193 ONLINE   Wayne Kjelsrud

Wayne Kjelsrud

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

VH-1 Classic has some HD VOD content. Not sure about the actual channel. But it would be nice to watch "That Metal Show" in HD.

Amen!!

#1194 OFFLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nice additions today. My wishlist is now Fox Movie Channel HD, Military Channel HD, Encore Drama HD, and Reelz HD.

My list
1-fuse
2-vh1c
4-fox movie channels
5-reelz
6-oxygen
Spanish
1-discovery español
2-history. Español
3-nat geo mundo
4-espn deportes
5-fox deportes

#1195 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I really, really like having H2 in HD!
Now, I'm looking forward to Military, The Hub, and GSN in HD.

#1196 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I still don't understand why the DVR can't assume you want to have the HD version in your favorites vs the old SD.

Also, why would you ever want both versions in you favorites list? When would you watch the SD version if the HD version is available. Even on an old TV the HD version should look better.

I don't know. Just one DVR kept the SD versions in (which I of course removed)... And an H24 removed the SD versions and left it looking like those channels were completely removed.

I edited the favorites on both but only sent an error report from the H24. I prolly should of sent one from the HR24 as well so DirecTV could compare them. Whatever the intended behavior is, it's not consistent. Both receivers are on the same software version.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1197 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Rain fade and if a show is not aired in HD, recording from the SD channel takes up less space I believe. Those are two possible reasons.

#1198 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

The HD version didn't exist when you last edited your list. They are entirely separate channels. It would be no different than expecting that a completely unaffiliated channel be automatically added to your custom favorites list.
DTV = Digital Television

#1199 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I am amazed that IFC has the viewership to earn HD bandwidth.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#1200 OFFLINE   tzphotos.com

tzphotos.com

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

The HD version didn't exist when you last edited your list. They are entirely separate channels. It would be no different than expecting that a completely unaffiliated channel be automatically added to your custom favorites list.

It's not an unaffiliated channel. It is an upgraded version of the same channel...

Tom

www.tzphotos.com

spam firewall