Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1241 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Well...in your opinion which looks better?

BTW IFC is 1080i on DirecTV and from there distributor AMC Networks.

surprised anyone remembered I put up that post..I sampled the HD quality with 2 movies yesterday morning...Caught the middle of Casanova and it looked very nice compared to the 720p garbage Time Warner has..

Then teaching Mrs Tingle came on afterwards and the HD was a bit suspect..but that's an older movie from 1999 and Casanova from 2005..

Either way the HD on IFC on D* is way better than whats on TWC NYC..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1242 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thx Directv for the new HD adds!

On my short list now is:
Fox Movie Channel HD
Reelz HD
Oxygen HD
Cinemoi HD

Followed by:
WE HD
TVGN HD
Ovation HD
GSN HD

I feel very glad — and thankful — that DirecTV has been catching up with linear HD of basic-cable programming.

I recall being very irate when we received only AMC HD in 2011. But 2012 was an improvement. (How could it not be?) And already in 2013, with today being the first day of the second month, we leave behind the first month with seven basic-cable (and one premium-movie) programmers' linear high definition having been added. It appears to have made many of the posters in this forum feel encouraged.

Your above list consists of a challenge for me. I think the Comcast/NBC Universal's next programmer, not counting those among sports, which would become the first to get added is Style Network HD. Then PBS Kids Sprout HD, for the children, and then Oxygen HD. I do keep in mind that AMC Networks' We TV HD might be the "women's" channel which would get added before Oxygen HD. But not before Style Network HD. (That's just my guess. And I know I can be wrong. For example: I didn't anticipate Independent Film Channel HD having arrived on 01.31.2013. And maybe another AMC Networks brand, Fuse HD, would get added before We TV HD.)

#1243 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Nickelodeon needs to get it together and make an HD stream for TeenNick so I can get my 90's nostalgia on. I know all the shows in the 90's block were made way before HD but the SD quality makes me cry.

I think Military Channel and FMC should be next on D* HD hit list.

#1244 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I feel very glad — and thankful — that DirecTV has been catching up with linear HD of basic-cable programming.

I recall being very irate when we received only AMC HD in 2011. But 2012 was an improvement. (How could it not be?) And already in 2013, with today being the first day of the second month, we leave behind the first month with seven basic-cable (and one premium-movie) programmers' linear high definition having been added. It appears to have made many of the posters in this forum feel encouraged.

Your above list consists of a challenge for me. I think the Comcast/NBC Universal's next programmer, not counting those among sports, which would become the first to get added is Style Network HD. Then PBS Kids Sprout HD, for the children, and then Oxygen HD. I do keep in mind that AMC Networks' We TV HD might be the "women's" channel which would get added before Oxygen HD. But not before Style Network HD. (That's just my guess. And I know I can be wrong. For example: I didn't anticipate Independent Film Channel HD having arrived on 01.31.2013. And maybe another brand, Fuse HD, would get added before We TV HD.)

APB, I think we would get WE and FUSE in HD before any Comcast properties. DirecTV already has a relationship now with AMC Networks to carry their other half (AMC, IFC) in HD.
Comcast on the other hand is a bone head. They wanted too much for G4, so DirecTV dropped them. They won't negotiate to allow CSN Philly carried by DirecTV, and they most likely want way too much for Style (hence you need the package right before Premier just to get it in lousy SD). Oxygen is NBC Universal which is a Comcast property now as well.

I think you'll see the rest of the Encore's before any more Comcast / NBC property upgraded to HD.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#1245 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

With Headline News HD now available, if DirecTV were to add at least one more linear HD of a cable-news programmer, in 2013, which do you think would make for the best choice . . . ?

1. Bloomberg Television HD
2. One or both of C-Span HD and C-Span 2 HD

I would vote for Bloomberg HD.

Edited by ep1974, 01 February 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#1246 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Aside from some RSNs, we're getting close to the bottom of the barrel of my wants (that are actually available today in HD, anyway).

I'd like FMC, Sundance, the CSPANs, and NASA. . .and an option for EPIX.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1247 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Universal Sports
Cspan 1&2
NASA
Universal sports
Pac-12 (whenever DTV gets it)
Universal sports
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#1248 OFFLINE   crawdad62

crawdad62

Godfather

• Registered
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

FMC, Cinemoi, Ovation, Bloomberg.

#1249 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Aside from some RSNs, we're getting close to the bottom of the barrel of my wants (that are actually available today in HD, anyway).

I'd like FMC, Sundance, the CSPANs, and NASA. . .and an option for EPIX.

Agree, plus hopefully an "option" for EPIX.

#1250 OFFLINE   DViper2399

DViper2399

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

My #1 now that I have most is Hub-HD, not sure if an HD feed exists for Boomerang but would like that as well

#1251 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

H2 in HD looks Great!!!

Way To Go DIRECTV!!! Also HLN and The Cooking Channel. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#1252 OFFLINE   erosroadie

erosroadie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Bloomberg Television HD

+1

#1253 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,633 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I recall being very irate when we received only AMC HD in 2011.

Sigh.

In 2011, "we" received AMC, ESPN3D, HBO2 West, 5MAX, WMAX, @MAX, HBO Comedy, HBO Latin, MMAX, AMAX, TMAX, Shorts, HBO Signature, HBO Family and 3net.

That is 13 HD and 2 3D channels.

Actually more than was added in 2012. Which added TWCSN (2 of them), DIY, ION, BBCA, NGW, DisneyJr, beIN, TCM, E! and TruTV (with the removal of 3net).

(Thanks to Sixto for the list.)

That is 11 HD and the removal of 1 3D channel.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1254 OFFLINE   michaelruggeri

michaelruggeri

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I like high end original dramas.

Ovation is showing Australian and BBC drama series you cannot see elsewhere. And Sundance has begun making original high end drama series as well.

So my wish list is Ovation and Sundance.

#1255 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

APB, I think we would get WE and FUSE in HD before any Comcast properties....

Even though I didn't write it, that has occurred to me. Thing is, E! Entertainment Television HD came in last year; and, of course, it is from Comcast.

I don't know how accurate it is to say that there may be a lousy relationship between Comcast and DirecTV when it comes to the cable company's programming brands. G4 having been dropped by DirecTV, a few years ago, I figured was because of the satcaster concluding that the programmer was a bust. And G4 will be transforming into Esquire TV.

#1256 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 934 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

H2 in HD looks Great!!!

Way To Go DIRECTV!!! Also HLN and The Cooking Channel. :)

+1

In the last two or three months, I had downloaded numerous episodes from H2's How the States Got Their Shapes and a variety of programming from Cooking Channel from the select high-def content on On Demand. I'm glad they, and others, are now carried in HD by DirecTV.

#1257 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

APB101, I remember reading an article around November that said D* and C* signed a multi year deal to continue carrying all the C* networks, but the CSNs weren't included in it (not sure about G4).

#1258 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Actually more than was added in 2012. Which added TWCSN (2 of them), DIY, ION, BBCA, NGW, DisneyJr, beIN, TCM, E! and TruTV (with the removal of 3net).

(Thanks to Sixto for the list.)

That is 11 HD and the removal of 1 3D channel.

2012 also saw the restoration of six HD PPV channels that were removed for other HD in 2011 and the loss of GolTV. No one should expect a flood like 2010 ... 40 additions including PPV. But a dozen plus additions per year would not be bad.

#1259 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,633 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

2012 also saw the restoration of six HD PPV channels that were removed for other HD in 2011 and the loss of GolTV. No one should expect a flood like 2010 ... 40 additions including PPV. But a dozen plus additions per year would not be bad.

At that rate, we'd run out of channels in a shirt period but for the next couple years, yes. Probably going to go by that this year with 8 already plus maybe one or two more in a couple months and more later this year. Next year is a new satellite and that will be pretty good too.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1260 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

The ability to drop a few PPV channels means that there should not be any serious capacity issues. DirecTV dropped 11 PPV channels in 2011 and I don't recall any complaints. :)

It will not be hard to add four more channels and have a dozen new channels - and I will be surprised if DirecTV adds less than 16 channels this year (including the 8 already added).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...