Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1461 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Edited for content? What is your source?

Look at the Guide or tune to the channel when they are airing a movie that is rated R by the MPAA on FMC during the FXM programming block (which airs newer films from 3pm-3am ET) it is rated TV-14 (obviously because of content editing). Also at the start of the movies it will say "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your screen and edited for content and time." or something close to that effect..

Movies that air during the normal FMC programming block (which airs older 20th Century Fox movies from 3am-3pm ET) are uncut, commercial free & presented in there original aspect ratio as the director intended. R-rated films that air during this program block are usually given a TV-MA rating by the network.

Edited by coolman302003, 20 February 2013 - 09:54 PM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1462 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Edited for content? What is your source? I hope not Wikipedia because they also have no source.

There are some people who hate any channel with Fox's name on it for political reasons. They don't like Fox News so they also don't like Fox Movies or Fox Sports.

And there are some people who like any channel with the word Fox in it, for the same reason.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#1463 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I am so sad. Fox Movie Channel is cutting out some of the f-words and s-words from their movies, because the advertisers don't want it in their programming.

I say bravo to Fox Movie Channel!!

And some of you are too lazy to fast forward through a few ads? Why don't you complain about ABC, CBS, and NBC?

#1464 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

I am so sad. Fox Movie Channel is cutting out some of the f-words and s-words from their movies, because the advertisers don't want it in their programming.

And some of you are too lazy to fast forward through a few ads? Why don't you complain about ABC, CBS, and NBC?

I'm fine getting through commercials in shows, but I don't want any ads or changes made to a movie.

#1465 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,454 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

I'm fine getting through commercials in shows, but I don't want any ads or changes made to a movie.

Agree. I don't ever watch movies on anything except the premium movie channels. I hate butchered movies.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#1466 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

same here thats why i don't watch movies on broadcast tv unless its a made for tv movie like the disney channel movies from early 2000's
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#1467 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I watch exactly one program on Fox and two programs on CBS (plus SEC football and basketball games). Other than sporting events and local news, I do not watch anything on ABC or NBC.

I agree with others who have stated that movies should be uncut, uninterrupted, and shown in the OAR (which is why I no longer have HBO or SHO - they insist on cropping everything to 16x9, which is better than 4x3 pan and scam, but not much). If a channel is not going to show a movie the way it was intended to be shown, then the channel should not show the movie at all. I only watch movies on PPV or Blu-ray.

#1468 OFFLINE   Weller

Weller

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Errm, ABC, CBS and NBC are over the air networks funded by commercials. Fox Movie channel is paid for with your monthly subscription. If they were to send all the networks that run commercials for free over the air then fine.

#1469 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

I don't watch theatrical movies on OTA channels either.

TV shows are written for commercials. I don't mind them there. Theatrical movies are not made for commercials. They have a different flow.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1470 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

:goodjob:

Game...set...match....everyone!

The point is...when you pay cash up front for a movie, you want to see it as the director intended....NOT as the advertiser/programmer/censor...intended.

#1471 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,532 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

:goodjob:

Game...set...match....everyone!

The point is...when you pay cash up front for a movie, you want to see it as the director intended....NOT as the advertiser/programmer/censor...intended.

Exactly!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#1472 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

I watch exactly one program on Fox and two programs on CBS (plus SEC football and basketball games). Other than sporting events and local news, I do not watch anything on ABC or NBC.

I agree with others who have stated that movies should be uncut, uninterrupted, and shown in the OAR (which is why I no longer have HBO or SHO - they insist on cropping everything to 16x9, which is better than 4x3 pan and scam, but not much). If a channel is not going to show a movie the way it was intended to be shown, then the channel should not show the movie at all. I only watch movies on PPV or Blu-ray.

Showtime shows their movies in OAR. HBO and Cinemax don't.
Go Big Red!!!

#1473 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Errm, ABC, CBS and NBC are over the air networks funded by commercials.

Not really true anymore. Sure, they have commercials revenue (as do many cable networks), but it is a progressively decreasing percentage of their total revenue pie. The truth is, the "broadcast networks" are now a cable business model that relies on both commercials and sub fees. . . . in the broadcast world they are called "retransmission fees", but a rose by any other name. . .

http://www.prweb.com...rweb9195886.htm
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1474 OFFLINE   Weller

Weller

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

Not really true anymore. Sure, they have commercials revenue (as do many cable networks), but it is a progressively decreasing percentage of their total revenue pie. The truth is, the "broadcast networks" are now a cable business model that relies on both commercials and sub fees. . . . in the broadcast world they are called "retransmission fees", but a rose by any other name. . .

Most likely true but I do not need to pay any fees to receive the broadcast networks OTA - and pay no extra to have them in HD either :grin:

#1475 OFFLINE   bjdotson

bjdotson

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Well, regardless of retransmission fee or whatever; I anticipate getting more HD next quarter. Wouldn't that be cool.

Hmmm...Maybe somebody should start a thread about that.

#1476 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Well, regardless of retransmission fee or whatever; I anticipate getting more HD next quarter. Wouldn't that be cool.

Hmmm...Maybe somebody should start a thread about that.

they will when the 2Q starts, it won't make it come any quickly

#1477 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I wish we lived in a G-rated world, I really do. (Well, at least PG-13.)

But when I get tired of hearing profanity, there are many, many movies I can watch that were never made with such words to begin with.

And new, old, regardless of rating, I want all movies UNCUT.

As for your second point, I don't watch ABC, NBC, or CBS.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#1478 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I have to agree. The digital conversion also helped the OTA stations by reducing the viewing area in many places which, I am sure, forced many more to cable and satellite which would increase the stations retransmission fees. I lost about half the Kansas City stations after the conversion. It has to be very lucrative to get a set amount from every cable and satellite viewer that has access to you programing whether they watch you or not.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#1479 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I have to agree. The digital conversion also helped the OTA stations by reducing the viewing area in many places which, I am sure, forced many more to cable and satellite which would increase the stations retransmission fees. I lost about half the Kansas City stations after the conversion. It has to be very lucrative to get a set amount from every cable and satellite viewer that has access to you programing whether they watch you or not.

OTOH, before the conversion I could receive 8 OTA stations and now I get 30 (although my AM21 does not tune all of them and there are several I never watch).

#1480 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

OTOH, before the conversion I could receive 8 OTA stations and now I get 30 (although my AM21 does not tune all of them and there are several I never watch).

That is great. Wish that had happened here. During the transition the local FOX station posted on their website that due to the change that their viewing area had been reduced. I was getting some stations from the opposite direction before the transition, now not getting any.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

spam firewall