Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1681 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Also "subcribing to HD services" doesn't mean every TV in the house has HD service. We have 2 CRTs that we got from Crazy Eddie's in 1983 that are still going strong and outlasted another CRT we purchased in 1998.

Not to mention there's a nice chunk of us who rather watch pre-HD content on the SD feeds than watch it cropped and/or distorted like what Turner and Discovery do with their HD channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1682 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I believe I saw in an FCC filing last year, that 60% of new customers have HD. That means that 40% of customers that just recently joined directv were SD only.

Some percentage of those sd customers have mpeg4 equipment though, the ones in mpeg4 local markets. I wonder what that percentage is.

#1683 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Like my mother, who after 4 years STILL doesn't tune to the HD channel?

Hell my mother tells my father she can't tell the difference between SD and HD. The old man thinks she nuts. :D

#1684 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Like my mother, who after 4 years STILL doesn't tune to the HD channel?

That's why I LOVE DirecTV! Inlaws come over and they are automatically watching HD here! I go to their house and its really gamble. Sometimes they tune to those HD duplicates in the 600+ range (on their cable), but most tikes they just type in the one or two digit number and watch SD. Cable blows!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1685 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

I believe I saw in an FCC filing last year, that 60% of new customers have HD. That means that 40% of customers that just recently joined directv were SD only.

Jeez, that's discouraging. 40% total SD I wouldn't have had too much trouble believing, but 40% of new subs in 2012 is really depressing.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#1686 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Jeez, that's discouraging. 40% total SD I wouldn't have had too much trouble believing, but 40% of new subs in 2012 is really depressing.

I thought I read another thread on here with someone saying SD equipment wasn't even offered when they tried to get their parents signed up.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1687 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

That's why I LOVE DirecTV! Inlaws come over and they are automatically watching HD here! I go to their house and its really gamble. Sometimes they tune to those HD duplicates in the 600+ range (on their cable), but most tikes they just type in the one or two digit number and watch SD. Cable blows!

I printed a page of hd channels and their numbers so my Mom would know which channels she gets are in hd. It's really pretty simple.

#1688 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

I printed a page of hd channels and their numbers so my Mom would know which channels she gets are in hd. It's really pretty simple.

I just coped all the channels to favorites, and deleted the SD duplicates. Works just fine.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#1689 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

I thought I read another thread on here with someone saying SD equipment wasn't even offered when they tried to get their parents signed up.

You are referring to this thread:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=213386
Directv wasn't allowing a mix of HD and SD equipment on the same account.

#1690 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

We have redzone. Just not the cable one. One of the reasons I dislike that list on avs. Red zone counts for others but not for directv.

Is it available as a stand alone option though, like with FiOS? I didn't think it was (without having to jump through hoops).

#1691 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

Is it available as a stand alone option though, like with FiOS? I didn't think it was (without having to jump through hoops).

No, it is not.

But, for channel listings, that does not matter. Different systems use different packaging in channels. It exists. AVS acts as if it doesn't.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1692 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

No, it is not.

But, for channel listings, that does not matter. Different systems use different packaging in channels. It exists. AVS acts as if it doesn't.

OK, gotcha.

#1693 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

No, it is not.

Is the RedZone Channel that is available as part of Sunday Ticket the same channel that cable subscribers get as a stand alone?

The last time I asked they were separately produced channels ... with the stand alone coming from the NFL Network cable channel. It would be nice to see the stand alone channel be made available to DirecTV subscribers who subscribe to NFL Network (channel 212) but I suspect that would affect sales of Sunday Ticket.

#1694 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,969 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Is the RedZone Channel that is available as part of Sunday Ticket the same channel that cable subscribers get as a stand alone?

The last time I asked they were separately produced channels ... with the stand alone coming from the NFL Network cable channel. It would be nice to see the stand alone channel be made available to DirecTV subscribers who subscribe to NFL Network (channel 212) but I suspect that would affect sales of Sunday Ticket.

They're different.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1695 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hell my mother tells my father she can't tell the difference between SD and HD. The old man thinks she nuts. :D

Does you mom need glasses by chance? Or an updated prescription? Or maybe shes watching on an SD TV or on a 20" HD TV? Otherwise, the difference between an SD and HD picture on DIRECTV are pretty obvious.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#1696 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:11 PM

Does you mom need glasses by chance? Or an updated prescription? Or maybe shes watching on an SD TV or on a 20" HD TV? Otherwise, the difference between an SD and HD picture on DIRECTV are pretty obvious.

In her defense it isn't DirecTV. It's Brighthouse. They don't compress their SD like DirecTV does. In all honesty she's one of the types who doesn't really care how clear it is as long as she's seeing it. Pops on the other hand loves him some HD since I introduced him to it some years back.

#1697 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Some percentage of those sd customers have mpeg4 equipment though, the ones in mpeg4 local markets. I wonder what that percentage is.

Agreed, but I don't think that covers the majority of those. I believe that most of the mpeg4 DMAs are some of the smaller ones.

#1698 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,094 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

My parents could not tell the difference either. I turned out that even though they had HD cable, the box was connected to the TV using the RF modulator My nephew brought them an HDMI cable, so now they are seeing HD.

#1699 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

My parents could not tell the difference either. I turned out that even though they had HD cable, the box was connected to the TV using the RF modulator My nephew brought them an HDMI cable, so now they are seeing HD.

My brother (retired) had the same problem when they replaced his cable box with a dvr years back. He actually went from HD back to SD without seeing it. His wife kept saying something was wrong and he laughed at her.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1700 OFFLINE   Weller

Weller

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

That'd be fine for 98% of the folk here, but millions still have SD receivers....and some of them are sons and daughters of The Irish and The Scots, maybe even some Welsh......

As a born and bred Scotsman I am intrigued by that comment. What is the relevence?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...