Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1781 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

DirecTV's policy is now, when they add new channels, that they be in HD if HD exists.

There has been a BBC News HD channel feed available since last December according to Multichannel News.
http://multichannel....rld-news/140936 I posted this many weeks ago. They are in both SD and HD on the NYC TWC system. ....Or am I misunderstanding your point?
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1782 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

CBS, Lionsgate Set TV Guide Network Pact, Plan Rebranding Effort

I wonder if this means we'll finally get it in HD.

Bout time they're changing the name too, they haven't had the scrolling guide (which is obsolete anyways) on D* in quite a while...

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#1783 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Bout time they're changing the name too, they haven't had the scrolling guide (which is obsolete anyways) on D* in quite a while...

Guess they do need the rebrand. Last I saw it, it was a scrolling guide with video on top.

#1784 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Guess they do need the rebrand. Last I saw it, it was a scrolling guide with video on top.

I guess you never watch it then, they removed the scroll on most providers in 2009.

TV Guide Channel to Ditch the Scroll

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#1785 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

There has been a BBC News HD channel feed available since last December according to Multichannel News.
http://multichannel....rld-news/140936 I posted this many weeks ago. They are in both SD and HD on the NYC TWC system. ....Or am I misunderstanding your point?

Yes. I am saying that any new adds will not be SD only if the channel has an HD feed. If they were to add bbc news, they would add HD. Not that they will ad any channel that launches HD. Nor that all current channels will automatically add HD.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1786 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I think that is still available but they have had a non scroll version for several years. Fios has the HD channel. It is not bad.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#1787 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

I missed the old one it used to crash from time to time and at times show C-band listings.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1788 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Wow I didn't realize we even got TV guide channel. Just found it now. Have to admit, it's kinda funny seeing a movie on and a TV Guide logo in the lower right, but no "guide".

They used to require that logo in digital cable on screen guide. Not sure if they still do... At least one provider replaced it with the Rovi logo I believe.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1789 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:49 AM

Local 10:00 p.m. news in Houston tonight ran a story on Comcast Sportsnet Houston and how few people will be able to see Astros home games unless they switch to Comcast Cable. Not once was anything related to the allegedly high carriage fees mentioned in the story. No mention of any other company by name except for Comcast Sportsnet.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1790 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 352 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:29 AM

IFC is already here in HD.

Kevin

OOPS, meant to say SUNDANCE

And Flix doesn't have an HD feed.

Yes, I am aware of this, just hoping, we are so close to having all premium channels in HD.

Ed

#1791 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Wow I didn't realize we even got TV guide channel. Just found it now. Have to admit, it's kinda funny seeing a movie on and a TV Guide logo in the lower right, but no "guide".

They used to require that logo in digital cable on screen guide. Not sure if they still do... At least one provider replaced it with the Rovi logo I believe.

Fios still has TV Guide logo. Pretty small, though.

Funny about Fios. They have the new logo for the channel in their guide even though the old one was on a movie last night.

#1792 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,211 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:24 AM

Local 10:00 p.m. news in Houston tonight ran a story on Comcast Sportsnet Houston and how few people will be able to see Astros home games unless they switch to Comcast Cable. Not once was anything related to the allegedly high carriage fees mentioned in the story. No mention of any other company by name except for Comcast Sportsnet.

That wouldn't have been an NBC local, would it?? ?? ??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1793 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

I guess you never watch it then, they removed the scroll on most providers in 2009.

TV Guide Channel to Ditch the Scroll

I never understood why the old scrolling guide was on DirecTV in the first place. If I want to know what is on, I use the DirecTV guide, so I can navigate channels and times at my choice, rather than waiting for the channels to come around again on the TV Guide channel.

Since the old format was useless on DirecTV, I never watched it, so I am one of many, I suspect, who did not know that TV Guide has changed.

#1794 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the previous 70+ pages, but FX is spawing it's comedy series into another network FXX that is replacing Fox Soccer. I assume since Fox Soccer is already carried by D*, there will be no carriage issues in September.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2970983.html

Also sounds like they are expanding FXM somewhat with original series. That needs to be carried in HD, probably my #1 request now.
HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#1795 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

I never understood why the old scrolling guide was on DirecTV in the first place. If I want to know what is on, I use the DirecTV guide, so I can navigate channels and times at my choice, rather than waiting for the channels to come around again on the TV Guide channel.

TV Guide channel used to only supply the scrolling guide version. And they had entertainment based programming (like a poor man's version of E!) in the box. It was the only way to get the channel.

The scroll part was silly for DirecTV, which *always* had guides. It took more mass of guide based systems for TV Guide to provide the non-scrolling version of the channel.

Today, the channel is more like a standard cable channel. Old shows, mid range old movies (Harry Met Sally is a perfect example) with commercials.

A reasonable addition (as reasonable as almost any Viacom channel ;) )

#1796 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

TV Guide channel used to only supply the scrolling guide version. And they had entertainment based programming (like a poor man's version of E!) in the box. It was the only way to get the channel.

The scroll part was silly for DirecTV, which *always* had guides. It took more mass of guide based systems for TV Guide to provide the non-scrolling version of the channel.

Today, the channel is more like a standard cable channel. Old shows, mid range old movies (Harry Met Sally is a perfect example) with commercials.

A reasonable addition (as reasonable as almost any Viacom channel ;) )

I remember on Time Warner Cable in NYC with one of the other names it used to be (Group W/Paragon/Manhattan Cable/Teleprompter) before TWC existed..the scrolling guide was an AMIGA computer!! I know cause when the guide crashed the channel had the Amiga Workbench logo same as on my amiga 500!

#1797 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

For those who are in the know, while I understand how this can be and is done with programs originally done on film which has a native resolution exceeding any television format, HD or even Ultra HD, how can shows originally video taped in inferior NTSC SD format like these actually be remastered to HD picture quality?

Ultra HD sets will cost $20.000.00:eek2::eek2:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#1798 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Yup plenty of YouTube videos of old tvguide (and prevue channel) scrollers. Both functional and crashed!

I noticed on google image search that the simplistic blue "I-guide" used by many cable operators still displays a bright red TV-Guide logo in the top center of the interactive programming guide. That used to sort of burn in on my plasma a few years ago with Comcast. Well image retention I should say.

Had the hub on today for my daughter and I really wish that was in HD for her. HUGE difference in quality between the hub and Disney JR.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1799 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Funny about Fios. They have the new logo for the channel in their guide even though the old one was on a movie last night.

They were supposed to change their logo and rebrand to just "TVGN" back on March 18th, but the sale to CBS delayed it.

#1800 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

That wouldn't have been an NBC local, would it?? ?? ??

The NBC affiliate in Houston isn't owned by NBC, so they presumably don't have a particular interest in Comcast SportsNet.

(I'm mainly familiar with them because, for years, they delayed "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" from 11:35 P.M. to 2:05 A.M. -- and Conan once traveled to Houston to do a taped piece where he went in search of people who were actually watching his show at 2:00 in the morning.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...