Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1827 replies to this topic

#1801 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

My old Samsung DLP had a TV Guide EPG that stopped updating after the analog cutoff.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1802 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,057 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

FWIW, "Pivot" Network is coming to DIRECTV;

http://www.fiercecab...ivot/2013-03-28

Unusual given that it may possibly be only for subscribers with broad band and connected to DIRECTV receivers.

Will this be an HD channel I wonder?

#1803 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

FWIW, "Pivot" Network is coming to DIRECTV;

http://www.fiercecab...ivot/2013-03-28

Unusual given that it may possibly be only for subscribers with broad band and connected to DIRECTV receivers.

Will this be an HD channel I wonder?

If its brand new it should be HD. Maybe a good add for the HD Extra pack?

Maybe it's IPTV or VOD only and that's the broadband connected receiver requirement? I didn't gather that it was broadband only. Just that it will be offered standalone to anyone who would pay for it with a high speed connection.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#1804 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Pivot is already on Directv, it is the Documentary Channel now, the media company that it launching Pivot bought Doc and INSP's Halogen for the built in distribution base.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#1805 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

If all new channels have to be HD, when did that start? After OWN right because we had that for over a year and it was just SD. If its from here on out, that would be nice. I do know cinemoi does not have an HD feed yet, so that's why that one would be excluded.

OWN was a rebranding on an existing channel, with an existing contract with DirecTV for the SD channel. When it was launched they offered everyone a new contract that included the HD version, but they wanted way more money for the channel. DirecTV and many other providers opted to just keep carrying the SD channel only at the old price rather than signing a new contract to get the HD channel. The increase in price was just way too much for a new channel that nobody knew what kind of ratings it would get.

Now it is a year or two later and they have a better idea of what kind of ratings it gets (which are much lower than they originally expected). I'm guessing the old contract is running out also. So OWN has probably lowered their price to make it more reasonable for the ratings they get , and they have now come to an agreement with DirecTV that will include the HD version (and likely VOD & streaming rights too).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#1806 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

If all new channels have to be HD, when did that start? After OWN right because we had that for over a year and it was just SD. If its from here on out, that would be nice. I do know cinemoi does not have an HD feed yet, so that's why that one would be excluded.

Missed this post.

I was told that was the policy after Disney Jr (even though the policy was stretched on that one).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1807 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

on to Q2-13 anticipation.

Would like to see Fox Movie Channel HD, Reelz HD, and more Encore Movie Channels ( Encore West, Encore Drama ). Glad to see Directv adding many new additions in the past year or so.

#1808 OFFLINE   fortnerw

fortnerw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Still holding out for RFDTV-HD. Lots of good HD programing and more every month. Unfortunately the HD shot shows are shown in double crop picture which makes it non watchable on the SD channel. If D is going to carry the SD channel why not th HD channel. I know for a fact that the founder of RFDTV has had discussions with D and sure he would give a good deal. I can't wait too much longer as I am now 72 and counting!!!
Directv since Oct 1994
HR23 with VOD
H24-700
BlueRay with Netflix Streaming
Roku-Amazon Prime

#1809 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

FWIW, "Pivot" Network is coming to DIRECTV

They call themselves a premium channel but their lead-off programming is a reality show and a 5-night a week talk show. That sure ain't premium in my book, more like el-cheapo.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1810 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I guess you never watch it then, they removed the scroll on most providers in 2009.

TV Guide Channel to Ditch the Scroll

That's probably true about most providers, but when I travel I still see scrolling guides at some hotels. Even saw a scrolling guide at a hotel that had DIRECTV recently. It was the old SD version of the guide though.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#1811 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,239 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

That wouldn't have been an NBC local, would it?? ?? ??

No. It was on KHOU, a CBS station.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1812 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

That's probably true about most providers, but when I travel I still see scrolling guides at some hotels. Even saw a scrolling guide at a hotel that had DIRECTV recently. It was the old SD version of the guide though.

I think analog systems still have it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#1813 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I guess Bloomberg TV HD is good if your into monitoring stock market numbers or business news, But any HD is good HD.

What's the best guess as to when the 3 new HD Channels will launch?

#1814 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

OWN is supposed to launch on April 1st, no joke!

#1815 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

More HD More Fun
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#1816 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

OWN was a rebranding on an existing channel, with an existing contract with DirecTV for the SD channel....

Oprah Winfrey Network used to be Discovery Health Channel.

I can note that Reelz Channel, which I want added in HD from DirecTV, had an episode of the Canadian import Bomb Girls, which stars Meg Tilly, just made available on the programmer's On Demand. (Reelz debuted Bomb Girls's second season this past Wednesday.) It looks so much better in HD! (What doesn't?!)

I find myself hoping that more On Demand high-def programming comes to other channels for which we are not currently receiving in linear high-def feed. We may tend to view such individual programmers as a free preview of what to expect (in the not-too-distant future). That was definitely the case with the likes of Cooking Channel, H2, Lifetime Movie Network, and TV Land (to name a few). So, I'm ready for even more. Right now, this is applicable (if I'm accurately keeping track) with Reelz Channel, Logo Network, Nick Jr., MTV2, and Sportsman Channel.

#1817 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Oprah Winfrey Network used to be Discovery Health Channel.

Discovery Health Channel technically still exists, it merged with FitTV and changed its name to Discovery Fit & Health. Not much original programming though. It's on channel 261.

Discovery Health Lives On, Combining With FitTV

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#1818 OFFLINE   morgan79

morgan79

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

needs MAVtv added..would be great choice....soon i hope

#1819 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 921 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Discovery Health Channel technically still exists, it merged with FitTV and changed its name to Discovery Fit & Health. Not much original programming though. It's on channel 261.

Discovery Health Lives On, Combining With FitTV

Yes.

I actually had a blank in forgetting the name change.

(Thanks!)

#1820 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

needs MAVtv added..would be great choice....soon i hope

Posted Image

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer