Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR-24 Deletes Programed Marked As "Keep Until I Delete"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WingmanTB

WingmanTB

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

OK, so I'm a big Doctor Who fan. I set the DVR to record the DW Christmas Special as a "keep until I delete" to ensure it does not get deleted when recording additional DW's. The next day I go to watch the show and 34 minutes into the show I grab the remote to increase the volume. I accidentally hit the channel key, which stops the play of the recording and turns a live channel on. I've done this before, and no big deal, go back to the list and resume the show I was watching. Only this time I go back to by list and the DW Christmas Special is gone.

I found the HR-24 recording history and the DW Christmas Special on the history. It is listed as "deleted to make more room for more recordings." What...it was marked by me as keep until I delete and I was in the middle of watching it when it deleted itself without the usual warnings.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Fortunately they will repeat the show on the weekend, but there are times I record something I want to keep indefinitely that does not repeat. I don't want this to happen again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Couple of questions... Did you mark it as Keep by using the Blue button or by selecting Keep Until I Delete in the Series Manager settings? Also, how many episodes is the Series set to keep? Lastly, was it currently recording any other episodes of Dr. Who at the time you were watching?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Setting a limit on the number of recordings to keep overrides "Keep until I delete".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

IOW, "Keep Until I Delete" when set as part of a Series Link really means "keep until the maximum # of episodes for this series link is reached". So if the "Keep At Most" # is 5, episode 6 will overwrite episode 1. Could be what happened to you with Dr. Who.

If you truly want to keep a show regardless, go to the playlist and tag it with the BLUE button. In that case, it will never be auto-deleted. It will become a permanent 6th episode, and the other 5 will be saved based on SL KUID settings.

Another option is to use SL "keep until I delete", but set "Keep at Most" to "ALL". You run the risk of chewing up disk space you need for other shows, though.

One of my pet peeves is that shows marked KUID via SLs aren't tagged differently than shows marked "keep" via the playlist. They should really use a different color or different symbol, IMHO, for folks that use both methods, so they know what's what.
/steve

#5 OFFLINE   WingmanTB

WingmanTB

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

IOW, "Keep Until I Delete" when set as part of a Series Link really means "keep until the maximum # of episodes for this series link is reached". So if the "Keep At Most" # is 5, episode 6 will overwrite episode 1. Could be what happened to you with Dr. Who.

If you truly want to keep a show regardless, go to the playlist and tag it with the BLUE button. In that case, it will never be auto-deleted. It will become a permanent 6th episode, and the other 5 will be saved based on SL KUID settings.

Another option is to use SL "keep until I delete", but set "Keep at Most" to "ALL". You run the risk of chewing up disk space you need for other shows, though.

One of my pet peeves is that shows marked KUID via SLs aren't tagged differently than shows marked "keep" via the playlist. They should really use a different color or different symbol, IMHO, for folks that use both methods, so they know what's what.

Thanks. I think this is the reason. At the time this happened, the DVR was recording another DW, which would have been the 6th of the 5 it was set to record. I know in the past when I set the "keep" this show would end up as the extra show on top of the other 5.

So the "keep until I delete" is not an absolute method of keeping a program, unless other parameters are set correctly.

I'll note this as a lesson learned.

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Yup. That was what I was getting at. To make sure this doesn't happen, I set all my SL's to Keep All. The only ones I limit are my kids' shows to 5 as they record everyday.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Thanks. I think this is the reason. At the time this happened, the DVR was recording another DW, which would have been the 6th of the 5 it was set to record. I know in the past when I set the "keep" this show would end up as the extra show on top of the other 5.

So the "keep until I delete" is not an absolute method of keeping a program, unless other parameters are set correctly.

I'll note this as a lesson learned.

If you want to keep something permanently use the Blue button on the show in your PlayList. This will supersede the Keep At Most setting.

- Merg

#8 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,454 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yup. That was what I was getting at. To make sure this doesn't happen, I set all my SL's to Keep All. The only ones I limit are my kids' shows to 5 as they record everyday.

I sometimes do the same, but only with shows I know I won't be able to get to right away. I always forget that there's an option to keep "10" as well. That's another compromise between "not sure when I can watch an episode" and chewing up disk space.
/steve

spam firewall