Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

thinking of switching from dish - questions about recorded shows on my dish receiver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   traderumors

traderumors

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

I'm thinking of making the switch from Dish to DirecTV due to the great deal they have running right now. However, I have about 30 hours of recorded TV on the Dish receiver right now. If I disconnect Dish, will I be able to watch those shows since they are stored on the DVR, or will that basically shut down the DVR entirely? If I keep the service active for a month but physically disconnect the satellite feed, can I watch the shows? Just not sure how to deal with the transition, so any advice is appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

No, you can not them after you cancel. They send a signal to the receiver that disables it.

Since DTV will not use your dish or mount you might consider keeping Dish live until you watch the shows and then cancel it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Since you live in WI, its too cold to do anything outside anyway. Stay in and watch all your recorded stuff on Dish this weekend, then cancel.

#4 OFFLINE   traderumors

traderumors

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Since you live in WI, its too cold to do anything outside anyway. Stay in and watch all your recorded stuff on Dish this weekend, then cancel.

lolz. I chatted with the dish tech support and they told me I could continue to watch the dvr even after cancelling, but I don't really trust them. So I'll probably just pay for a month of overlap. Cuts into the savings a bit but oh well.

Since I've never cancelled service like this, I know I have to return equipment. I assume that means the DVR only, not the actual dish, right?

#5 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Correct, they don't want the dish back. Sometimes they will ask for the LNB, but I have never wanted to climb on the roof to retrieve it. I have switched 3 or 4 times over the years as new equipment is released, I have never been charged for not returning the LNB even if they asked for it. If I remember correct the paperwork states "if you can safely retrieve the LNB".

#6 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I've got a 508 DVR in a spare room that has been deactivated for several years. It is loaded with programming, all of it watchable today. It can be done.:)

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Yeah, for 504/508/510 it's true... but OP didn't reveal his model.

#8 OFFLINE   traderumors

traderumors

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

sorry, I have a VIP722K.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

well, that's different, BUT my 622 after switching to H/J still play James Bond's movies ... ummm, I need to recheck it to be sure I'm not mistaken ...

#10 OFFLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

lolz. I chatted with the dish tech support and they told me I could continue to watch the dvr even after cancelling, but I don't really trust them. So I'll probably just pay for a month of overlap. Cuts into the savings a bit but oh well.

Since I've never cancelled service like this, I know I have to return equipment. I assume that means the DVR only, not the actual dish, right?

I can say for a fact no you can't watch them.
switch from dish to directv on the 21 unhook all the cables to two 722s then called and canceled the next day hooked up the tv out only and all shows where locked except what was recorded over ota .
But I love the dtv stuff we did not know shows had the ending they where always cut of on the dish.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

I'm saying for a fact: deactivated 922/S1.19 and 622/L7.10 still play old recordings. Did the check today when each one been connected to a dish.

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

I can say for a fact no you can't watch them.
switch from dish to directv on the 21 unhook all the cables to two 722s then called and canceled the next day hooked up the tv out only and all shows where locked except what was recorded over ota .
But I love the dtv stuff we did not know shows had the ending they where always cut of on the dish.

I think they can going longer then 1 day of no signal maybe it needs a LNB but when Directv is installed have then take the dish dish down and you can hook the old LNB inside to the dish box and then call them to cancel
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...