Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie on non-SWN setup?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I currently have 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers (sorry, I don't have the model numbers) connected to a Slimline dish with 4 cables running into the house. Each of the DVRs has 2 coax cables connected. Occasionally, we take the 2 receivers camping in our motorhome. We have a Winegard Trav'ler on the RV and I understand they don't play well with SWM receivers.
What I would like to do is get a Genie to replace one DVR and keep the rest of the hardware the same. Can a SWM (Genie) and non-SWM receiver coexist on the same network?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts
  • LocationOn the road in North America...

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

It's not hard to convert a Trav'ler setup to SWM. Winegard actually makes a kit for it. You mount the SWM-8 on the roof near the Trav'ler, run 4 short coax lines between them, then connect the lines going into the RV to the SWM.

Am I correct that you don't use the (non-DVR) receivers at home? Just the DVRs. That's the only way you could do it without SWM or a multi-switch. But you do use the receivers in the RV?

I think all the HD receivers will work with SWM. Only the newest ones (HR34, H25) require SWM.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

No DIRECTV satellite receiver outside of the Genie requires SWiM to tune satellite channels.

It is possible (though bothersome) to switch back and forth between SWiM and Legacy.

The takeaway is that as long as you don't plan on doing WHDS or using the Genie in the RV, you're not up against a wall.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

No DIRECTV satellite receiver outside of the Genie requires SWiM to tune satellite channels.

Wrong! The H25 requires SWiM. Maybe you should leave the postings in the DirecTV area to DirecTV subscribers. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

Basset Barf
The H25 is SWiM only.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

A little more info may help. I do use the Whole House to watch what is on one DVR on the receiver in the theater. All 4 boxes are in use and e-net networked. What does DTV charge for the Genie client boxes?

#7 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm confused. Do you have a multi-switch in your setup? If you've got 2 tuners at each DVR plus the two receivers, you must have one somewhere.

Up front cost for the C31 client is officially $99, but you can often get a package deal. It's $6/mo, same as any other receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   norwestie

norwestie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWest Linn, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

All the equipment was installed about eight or nine years ago, I think before SWM. There is a multiswitch installed but I'm not home now so I can't tell what kind.
In answer to an earlier question, we would use the receivers in the RV, never the Genie.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

All the equipment was installed about eight or nine years ago, I think before SWM. There is a multiswitch installed but I'm not home now so I can't tell what kind.
In answer to an earlier question, we would use the receivers in the RV, never the Genie.

While it was before the SWiM came out, this:

I currently have 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers (sorry, I don't have the model numbers) connected to a Slimline dish with 4 cables running into the house.

wasn't that long ago. Closer to maybe 5 years.

Moving to a Genie will require an upgrade to SWiM, and there just isn't an easy way to mix SWiM and non SWiM.

It might be easiest to move both the house and the RV to SWiM.

If this isn't what you want, then your current multi-switch would need to be changed to a SWiM-16, and have your two HD receivers connected to the legacy ports. This would let them move to the RV without problems.
Receivers seems to have a hard time changing back from SWiM to legacy.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Winegard Trav'ler

HD or SD?
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Wrong! The H25 requires SWiM.

My bad. Those intending to use their receivers in a portable application should probably avoid the H25 for this and other reasons.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

My bad. Those intending to use their receivers in a portable application should probably avoid the H25 for this and other reasons.

Why? SWiM is just as, if not more, portable than old multiswitches.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I disagree with this as the power inserter can be a pain in the behind sometimes.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I disagree with this as the power inserter can be a pain in the behind sometimes.

How? All you have to do is hook it up to the power passing leg of your splitter and plug it into an outlet. And that's only if you have newer one that doesn't have an input and output RG6.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Winegard Trav'ler

HD or SD?

It's an SL-5 dish.

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Any device that requires a PI is a PITA; be that a SWiM dish or outboard switch.

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Any device that requires a PI is a PITA; be that a SWiM dish or outboard switch.

Maybe to you but not to me. A PI is pretty straightforward and very easy to setup.

Edited by RunnerFL, 29 December 2012 - 01:18 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver

All Star/Supporter

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I've never found installing a PI to be that big a deal. My only objection to them is that they're designed very poorly, and generate a lot of heat that can be problematical in enclosed cabinets. There's no reason at all they should be generating that much heat, except that a better design would cost more for the components.

For that matter, the DECA units also generate more heat than I think they need to. Obviously this is not a concern to DirecTV.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've only known one to catch fire :)

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,113 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Maybe to you but not to me. A PI is pretty straightforward and very easy to setup.

Correct.

Have been running more than one literally for years...never had a single issue.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...