Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer lied - stuck with bad picture?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   newmusicmark

newmusicmark

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

My Directv contract long expired and I wanted to give Dish Network a try. I had it installed but was disappointed to find that the picture quality to me is much inferior to what I had with Directv...picture is soft and there is lots of mpeg compression and artifacting which I can easily see from normal viewing distance on my 52" tv.

When the installation was done almost two weeks ago I mentioned the picture quality and he said that I had a week to determine if it was acceptable or not. Well, now I've found out that that was a lie. I called Dish network service and there were nice at first and sent out two technicians but both said that the nothing was wrong with the TV, signal or DVR. I want to keep the service (I like the price and the features) but the picture quality isn't acceptable. I actually feel ill looking at it on my TV as I spent a lot of money on my set up and I feel like I've wasted it with what I thought was a "high quality" satellite.

Dish customer services says they won't uninstall it unless I pay the ETF which is $400+ even though the technician lied to me. And when I asked them if it was okay the technician lied to me they just hung up on me (and that was a supervisor!). Is there anyone that can help me? I feel like I was tricked into signing the service.

Please don't bother to respond if you are just going to say I shouldn't have signed the contract! :) I know!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

My Directv contract long expired and I wanted to give Dish Network a try. I had it installed but was disappointed to find that the picture quality to me is much inferior to what I had with Directv...picture is soft and there is lots of mpeg compression and artifacting which I can easily see from normal viewing distance on my 52" tv.

When the installation was done almost two weeks ago I mentioned the picture quality and he said that I had a week to determine if it was acceptable or not. Well, now I've found out that that was a lie. I called Dish network service and there were nice at first and sent out two technicians but both said that the nothing was wrong with the TV, signal or DVR. I want to keep the service (I like the price and the features) but the picture quality isn't acceptable. I actually feel ill looking at it on my TV as I spent a lot of money on my set up and I feel like I've wasted it with what I thought was a "high quality" satellite.

Dish customer services says they won't uninstall it unless I pay the ETF which is $400+ even though the technician lied to me. And when I asked them if it was okay the technician lied to me they just hung up on me (and that was a supervisor!). Is there anyone that can help me? I feel like I was tricked into signing the service.

Please don't bother to respond if you are just going to say I shouldn't have signed the contract! :) I know!

Try contacting a DIRT member,but you really accepted the service by signing so it is a LEGAL CONTRACT.

#3 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

agreed. even though you don't want to hear it, your signature on the contract states you accept the work that was done.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Contact your State's Attorney General's office if you can't get relief from DISH. They are usually all over companies that, directly or through contractors, misrepresent their policies.

Regardless of the company, always read any fine print before you sign it. It WILL take precedence over anything anyone tells you in conversation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

It seems you were happy with your D* service but wanted to get something cheaper, which you did. You can either pay the ETF or suffer through what you are finding was a bad choice on your part because many agree with you that the E* PQ is softer than the D* PQ. To say it makes you ill may be a little of a stretch....but be that as it may, you chose to make the jump and now seem to regret it.

#6 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Some of the receivers state they are showing 1080i or 720p when there actually showing 480p. Its a silly glitch.

Go to HDTV set up, bump it down to 480p, save the changes, exit the menus. Go back into the menus and then bump it back up to the highest available setting for your tv set.

I have both services on a pro calibrated panny set, and honestly the difference is minimal at best in D* favor and is only noticeable if you are actively looking for it.

To the point of your topic, as has been pointed out you signed the contract and are now bound to it. You should have read the paper work before you signed it as it specifically states that once signed its a done deal.

#7 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

I switched from directv to dish a month ago.
Just me it is your tv not dish.
As with all tv sources the tv must be tuned.
The directv output is set higher than norm.
Whene ever you get a new blue ray player or drv you must adjust contrast and brightness to standards. Best way is pause the DVD so after time out you get a black screen with the screen saver. Then tune the tv adjusting down the settings until the little white pixels go away. You need to be inches from the tv.
Other way is to hire a pro to tune the tv.
Also, There used to be a test pattern showed played on HDNET
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

I switched from directv to dish a month ago.
Just me it is your tv not dish.
As with all tv sources the tv must be tuned.
The directv output is set higher than norm.
Whene ever you get a new blue ray player or drv you must adjust contrast and brightness to standards. Best way is pause the DVD so after time out you get a black screen with the screen saver. Then tune the tv adjusting down the settings until the little white pixels go away. You need to be inches from the tv.

...that is not a proper way to adjust your display. Not even close.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   mikeren1

mikeren1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationJax, Fl

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

agreed!

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,779 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

Another case where the grass isn't greener. :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

How exactly is the picture on Dish not as good as DirectTV ?

Your issues just sound like your TV / Receiver settings aren't setup right / not working together correctly. And in this case - you have already been given some advice to try.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#12 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

The installer's incorrect characterization of DISH Network's termination policy had nothing to do with this customer being "tricked" into signing for the service, as the customer had already agreed to whatever terms the had agreed to. Nothing the technician could have said at that point, accurate or inaccurate, would have changed anything. Thus, this customer is not stuck because of what the technician told him.

Nevertheless, I find the size of the early termination fees that DBS satellite charges to be mindboggling. I used to install DBS satellite a decade or more ago when someone could buy a system at a store for $200 or less with no commitment. I would get paid no less than $125 to install it, or he could install it himself, and could have it shut off on demand with no recourse, though maybe that was no more favorable to the customer than today's terms, because if he paid $200 for the system, plus $125 or more to me, plus a month's service ($30 back then), he was out about the same amount of money but didn't feel like he got screwed because he at least wound up with a satellite antenna and a receiver that he might resell.

I realize that the DBS providers are making a substantial commitment to the customer with their custom installations, but I still consider these early termination penalties to be unreasonable. I another era, a pro-consumer attorney general might try to reduce them on the basis that they were unconscionable, but those days are long past.

Edited by AntAltMike, 29 December 2012 - 10:58 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

I've seen plenty of DirecTV's output. The OP must have something set wrong in his system to have the difference that he is "claiming". Dish's picture quality is fine.

#14 OFFLINE   grog

grog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

I will admit that when we dropped Dish for DirecTV all the HD sets in the house did look much better as far as picture quality goes.

We went from Dish's VIP 622 to the DirecTV HR24 series.

The whole family here noticed the difference.

Was the difference enough that I would recommend someone drop Dish to go with DirecTV; not a chance. Dish picture quality was very good.

To me it would be like getting rid of your current LCD to buy one that had 240Hz instead of 120Hz. Some would say you can't even tell the difference but others would consider the upgrade a must.

My change from Dish to DirecTV was all about content 'sports' not picture quality. If I had the information I have now on the difference in quality that issue would still not be enough of a factor to swing the move one way or the other; too subjective!
Philips 47" 1080p LCD HDTV 47pfl7422d/37
Philips 42" 1080p LCD HDTV 42pfl3704D
Magnavox 32" 720p LCD HDTV 32MF338B/27
Magnavox 720p 19" LCD
2x DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (HR24-200 with 1TB ESATA via Thermaltake BlacX external dock), 2x DIRECTV® HD Receiver (H24-200), 1 DIRECTV® Slimline Dish, MRV with Deca CINEMAplus

#15 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

newmusicmark,

While we didn't have any contract issues with Dish, we too observed a noticeable drop in HD picture quality as compared to DirecTV when we switched in April 2011. After a lot of back and forth with Dish and posting here & elsewhere, I went through all the the recommended trouble-shooting & tuning items and it was still pretty much the same.

While we weren't happy with the HD PQ issues, Direct TV had unilaterally taken away our local HD stations so we definitely were not going back there. As we surmised, we eventually got used to the Dish HD PQ and now don't complain about it.

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but if you stick with it, I'll bet you will eventually come to like it over time (or least not be constantly complaining about it).

Good luck!
Don

#16 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Its the ONLY way to do it with out a Test Pattern or Test Equipment.
Trust me it works every time for Brightness. It is spot on.
I verified with with a professional calibrator.
For the other TV settings this method is more a guess.

Getting brightness perfect will solve the issue the original poster had.
DirecTV is way off on there out put.

#17 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Its the ONLY way to do it with out a Test Pattern or Test Equipment.
Trust me it works every time for Brightness. It is spot on.
I verified with with a professional calibrator.
For the other TV settings this method is more a guess.

Getting brightness perfect will solve the issue the original poster had.
DirecTV is way off on there out put.

In no way is your method even remotely accurate.
DTV = Digital Television

#18 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

In no way is your method even remotely accurate.

as always u are right... NOT

#19 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Ok let assume I am wrong, then how would you suggest the orgiginal poster fix the issue? I am offering suggestions, you keep saying I am wrong. The purpose of this thread is to offer help and fix the problem. For it to look as bad as he says something is not right. I am here to help and my method fixed my issue when I switched from directv to dish last month. Did you recently have directv to know about the recent changes in there system since they went to the HD guide?

#20 OFFLINE   Steve 319

Steve 319

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Wow,
Dish installer on the side of the house now. Hope I didn't make a serious mistake. Direct TV's whole house DVR never worked and at $160 a month it was time to make a change. I had Dish before and it seemed to be ok. New Samsung HD LCD though so just hoping my first impression of PQ wont be :eek:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...