Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer lied - stuck with bad picture?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 912 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Maybe I am not explaining things correctly.
When Directv switched to there new HD guide, the one with the darker blues they updated all of the software, they then increased the brightness out put so going to cable or dish it will look different.

To tune the tv with out a diag tool or test screens do this.

Step one. Pause the tv. Wait for screensaver. Do this at night with all lights off it must be very dark

Step two. Walk up to tv about one foot from it. Look the black areas around screen saver

Step three. If you see any white pixels in the black area then your brightness is off, they will show as very small and random like static. Adjust brightness up or down till the just go a way but no more

Step four. Contrast. Set your tv to standard and use that setting. Dish is optimized for standard not movie setting. If you must use movie write downthe contast setting and use it.

These steps also work for tuning directv without a test pattern or calibration tools.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Ok let assume I am wrong, then how would you suggest the orgiginal poster fix the issue? I am offering suggestions, you keep saying I am wrong. The purpose of this thread is to offer help and fix the problem. For it to look as bad as he says something is not right. I am here to help and my method fixed my issue when I switched from directv to dish last month. Did you recently have directv to know about the recent changes in there system since they went to the HD guide?

Your suggestion was to adjust Contrast and Brightness. Both DirecTV and Dish Network receivers are outputting the same video levels. The proper black level (or Brightness) setting for your display doesn't change whether you are a DirecTV sub or a Dish sub. Your display also won't start clipping white following a move from one provider to another. 16-235 is 16-235. I've had DirecTV for years. Nothing in regards to the PQ changed with the HD GUI. You calibrate Contrast and Brightness for your display, not your DVR or Blu-ray player. The receivers from both providers are sending video levels, not PC levels.

The issues the OP has are with resolution and compression...not Contrast and Brightness.
DTV = Digital Television

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Maybe I am not explaining things correctly.
When Directv switched to there new HD guide, the one with the darker blues they updated all of the software, they then increased the brightness out put so going to cable or dish it will look different.

No, they did not.

To tune the tv with out a diag tool or test screens do this.

Step one. Pause the tv. Wait for screensaver. Do this at night with all lights off it must be very dark

Step two. Walk up to tv about one foot from it. Look the black areas around screen saver

Step three. If you see any white pixels in the black area then your brightness is off, they will show as very small and random like static. Adjust brightness up or down till the just go a way but no more

Step four. Contrast. Set your tv to standard and use that setting. Dish is optimized for standard not movie setting. If you must use movie write downthe contast setting and use it.

These steps also work for tuning directv without a test pattern or calibration tools.

This is horrible advice. Your method is not even remotely accurate. Dish is optimized for standard mode, rather than movie mode??? That is completely false! You have no idea what you are talking about. The various picture modes differ from one display brand/model to the next. Servie providers are not optomizing anything to match one of these picture modes. Contrast should be set below a level where white clips, if your display will even clip white. Beyond that it should be set to a level appropriate to your lighting conditions: generally 40-45 fL for daylight conditions and 30-35 fL for nighttime conditions. I understand that you are trying to help, but spreading such incredibly false information is not going to help anyone.

Edited by Hoosier205, 30 December 2012 - 11:04 AM.

DTV = Digital Television

#24 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,696 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Probably the best thing to get would be a calibration DVD - I have "Video Essentials" myself - even the SD version of that should help your HD display for basic color / brightness / contrast settings.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,767 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Probably the best thing to get would be a calibration DVD - I have "Video Essentials" myself - even the SD version of that should help your HD display for basic color / brightness / contrast settings.

The OP's complaint has little- if anything- to do with those settings. Those settings you mention will do nothing to make the artifacts go away, increase sharpness or color information.

Those things can be done manually to at least get one within an acceptable range, which'd be necessary only if they'd been set way wrong.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   DEC

DEC

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

The issues the OP has are with resolution and compression...not Contrast and Brightness.

The OP's complaint has little- if anything- to do with those settings. Those settings you mention will do nothing to make the artifacts go away, increase sharpness or color information.

Those things can be done manually to at least get one within an acceptable range, which'd be necessary only if they'd been set way wrong.

Both of you guys are right on. I went through the same exact thing over a year and half ago and while I dialed-in some of my settings a bit "better", none of that had any significant bearing on the resolution, compression, and artifacts we were definitely seeing.

While I wasn't a happy camper at the time (other than getting our HD locals back, which DirecTV unceremoniously took away from us), I knew that over time, my wife and I would eventually "forget" the PQ comparison and would come to "like" (or at least accept) the HD PQ from Dish without any more complaining ... and that's exactly what ended up happening.

I realize some folks simply do not accept that there is any discernible difference in HD PQ between the two, but we definitely saw it and spent a lot of time trying a number of things to trouble-shoot the potential issues or to outright cure the problem, but it turned out to be a case (for us) of "it is what it is". Truth is (again, for us), and I don't mind admitting it, the Dish HD PQ is not bad per se, we just found that DirecTV's was better when it came to resolution, compression, artifacts and associated issues. I am sure if we had not had DirecTV HD to begin with (the provider we made the switch from SD to HD service), then we would have been extremely impressed with the HD PQ from Dish and with no complaints.

spam firewall