Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just scheduled my Hopper install! (some pre-install questions)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Badfish740

Badfish740

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

I just got off the phone with Dish-tech is coming in the AM on New Year's Eve :D It'll be nice to watch the ball drop in HD for a change. I have an old Samsung CRT HD set in the living room that I've never actually seen an HD picture on so I'm excited about that. I'm also getting one Joey which will be paired with the bedroom TV for now. Later once our basement is completely finished and we get a new TV down there I'll order another Joey. Can the tech wire things up so that I can expand the system myself down the road or are they limited to installing whatever the work order says to do? Basically what I'd want is this:

Right now I'm only getting one Joey, so as I understand one cable run will go from the "SERVER" side of the node to the Hopper. Then another cable run will go from the "CLIENT" side of the node to the Joey. Since I know I'm going to be ordering another Joey within a couple of months and down the road may even buy a fourth TV which would require a third Joey, can I have the tech install a three way splitter inline on the client side so that I expand the system myself later on by simply ordering additional Joeys and connecting them without having to have a tech out to my house?

Finally, when I was on the phone with Dish I asked if I would need to have a hardwired ethernet connection available for the Hopper and they said that a hardwire connection isn't necessary as long as there is Wi-Fi available. The tech just ads a USB Wi-Fi dongle. I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band router, so I'm sure it's up to the task, but is there any good reason to hardwire the connection instead? I'll only really be using it for software updates and diagnostics should I need them because we're not big movie watchers and probably will not be ordering any on demand movies. I definitely can get a hardwire connection to the Hopper location if need be, but if I can avoid running anymore cable through the attic I will ;)

Edited by Badfish740, 28 December 2012 - 01:42 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

It doesn't hurt to ask when the installer gets there. Adding another Joey wouldn't take much to wire it.

#3 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Can the tech wire things up so that I can expand the system myself down the road or are they limited to installing whatever the work order says to do?

Techs only perform the work that is on the work order - because that is all we are being paid to do. We are also routed tightly time wise, any delays can throw us off schedule.

...can I have the tech install a three way splitter inline on the client side so that I expand the system myself later on by simply ordering additional Joeys and connecting them without having to have a tech out to my house?

No, anytime you add a receiver a tech visit is required, and the new rooms will be on the work order then to be wired.

...but is there any good reason to hardwire the connection instead? I'll only really be using it for software updates and diagnostics should I need them because we're not big movie watchers and probably will not be ordering any on demand movies.

Wifi works fine, but hardwired is always more stable. Even if you don't download a lot of movies you may want the stable connection for Sling features if you choose to add that functionality. I'd just set it up wifi, and if you end up thinking it's a problem run the CAT5 then.

Adding another Joey wouldn't take much to wire it.

Says someone who has no idea how his house is constructed. :rolleyes: In it's simplest sense, yes, it's just running a single line. But what you have to go through to get from point a to point b varies drastically from house to house.

#4 OFFLINE   Badfish740

Badfish740

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

No, anytime you add a receiver a tech visit is required, and the new rooms will be on the work order then to be wired.

Let me clarify a little-I've already run RG6 from each TV location (and potential TV location to a spot in the attic near where the dish is mounted on the roof. What I'm asking is can the tech install a three way splitter now (even though with one Hopper and one Joey I don't need a splitter at all) with terminators on two of the lines instead of just connecting the line from the one Joey to the node? I've already done all of the fishing and running of cable, the tech just needs to put the connectors on, install the new node, and set up the Hopper and Joey.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

A three way splitter would not be acceptable, but a two way splitter on the "client" side of the node and a tap on the "host" side of the node would be acceptable (assuming all of the other standards are met).

Are the third and fourth TVs in little used rooms? Don't forget you are sharing three tuners with all of the rooms and any recordings you set. If you intend to watch a lot of TV on the Joeys you may want to consider a second Hopper.

#6 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

A three way splitter is acceptable according the the Hopper install specifications.

Sent from my DROIDX
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#7 OFFLINE   Badfish740

Badfish740

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

Are the third and fourth TVs in little used rooms? Don't forget you are sharing three tuners with all of the rooms and any recordings you set. If you intend to watch a lot of TV on the Joeys you may want to consider a second Hopper.

It's just the two of us (my wife and I) who really use the DVR and honestly I don't even use it that much. She records things and I pretty much just watch what's on or what she's recorded :D We mostly went to the Hopper just to upgrade to HD and so that we can watch any recording on either our living room TV, our bedroom TV, or our (coming soon!) flat panel in the basement family room. Right now the living room is where we watch most TV because the basement isn't finished yet, but once it is, most TV watching (including sports on the weekends, movies, etc...) will take place down there and the living room TV will pretty much be used for the news during breakfast.

A three way splitter is acceptable according the the Hopper install specifications.

I did find a graphic from dish depicting the three way splitter application but of course now I can't find it. Either way would work since all of the cable runs to the same location. Would there be a reason to do one over the other (picture quality, etc...?) or will they both yield the same result?

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

After a few incidents of my wife deleting stuff I had not watched (pre recycle bin) and complaints from her that what she was watching live or slightly delayed was being interrupted by recordings I found that having a Hopper for each of us works better.

The issue with the splitter is signal level. The initial install instructions showed only one split or tap per feed from the node in order to keep the signal levels higher. As long as one can get enough signal to the Joeys for MoCA to work the initial standards do not have to be followed to the letter.

#9 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Just check System Status on all the receivers and if all have four green bars under MoCA then all is well regardless of how many splits.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#10 OFFLINE   Badfish740

Badfish740

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Tech got here early! I got a new dish which I didn't realize would be happening because the person I spoke to on the phone said my existing dish would be fine. The tech said that someone must have checked the work order and amended it-phew! He said I'm getting a signal in the low 70s which, according to him, is rare for this area (Northwestern NJ)? I have a good clear view of the southern sky with no trees though. He was glad that all the lines had been fished already-the only major work was getting the lines into the attic from the new dish. He's bringing the Hopper in now-WOO HOO!!! :allthumbs

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'd think low 70s would be great in Sussex County.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   buddha88

buddha88

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Is there anyway MOCA can help with the internet connection speed?

#13 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

No.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

I did find a graphic from dish depicting the three way splitter application but of course now I can't find it. ...

seen that diagrams ? www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

Protected By... spam firewall...And...