Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Good and Bad TV remakes.

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Wasn't "NYPD Blue" more or less a remake of "Hill Street Blues"?

And aren't most of the high school series like "90210" more or less remakes/adaptations of "Room 222"?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

No.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#43 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

I don't generally do remakes so Five-0 and BSG were non-starters and have never been on my set.

I gotta echo previous posters here. You're really missing out on the new BSG. There's a lot of great stuff in there.

last half of the last season may be a little 'what?!' though

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#44 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Then we have "Elementary". No sure what category it is in. Sherlock Holmes has been around on film since the silent movie days. The Arthur Conan Doyle stories have been remade many times and we are now into new stories to fit the times. The producers of "Elementary" have had to agree not to infringe on any rights held by the makers of the BBC show "Sherlock". The Sherlock Holmes character has endured for over a hundred years and there seems to be no end in sight.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#45 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

^^ I would call that a treatment, same as the multiple variations of Superman and the OK Corral story.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#46 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

An adaptation perhaps?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#47 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

The Sherlock Holmes character has endured for over a hundred years and there seems to be no end in sight.

According to archive.org, the very first Holmes on film was Sherlock Holmes Baffled, from 1903!

I grew up loving Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, but my favorite Holmes up until now as the Granada series, with Jeremy Brett and Edmunde Hardwicke playing Holmes and Watson. They haven't done it for as long, but kudos to Cumberbatch, Freeman and the BBC, though. What a great job they've done bringing Holmes into the 21st Century. Elementary is OK, but pales by comparison, IMHO.
/steve

#48 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

The new Three Stooges movie sucked I thought. Some(most) things you just can'r duplicate.........

#49 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

To me, the appeal of the "Sherlock Holmes" method of crime investigation is three-fold: attention to (otherwise insignificant) detail; deductive reasoning, explained (thus, the need for a "Watson"); iron-clad, virtually irrefutable conclusions.

Holmes was the original 'forensic' investigator, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius.

Edited by Nick, 04 March 2013 - 11:10 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#50 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

To me, the appeal of the "Sherlock Holmes" method of crime investigation is three-fold: attention to (otherwise insignificant) detail; deductive reasoning, explained (thus, the need for a "Watson"); iron-clad, virtually irrefutable conclusions.

Holmes was the original 'forensic' investigator, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius.

Holmes wasn't the first, maybe the most popular though.

True detective fiction in the English-speaking world is considered to have begun in 1841 with the publication of Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" itself,[8] featuring "the first fictional detective, the eccentric and brilliant C. Auguste Dupin". Poe devised a "plot formula that's been successful ever since, give or take a few shifting variables."[12] Poe followed with further Auguste Dupin tales: "The Mystery of Marie Rogêt" in 1843 and "The Purloined Letter" in 1845.

http://en.m.wikipedi...tective_fiction
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...