Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Owned HR21, not yet activated, many errors found

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   watamix

watamix

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hello all

I purchased an HR21-700 HD DVR off of ebay to use on my DirecTV account (I have other owned DVRs and some leased ones).
I requested a new card and I just received it in the mail today, so I turned on the DVR and it went into self diagnostics mode and doesn't seem to want to come out of that mode.
I recently added the service plan to my DTV account, so I'm within the first 30 days of it, which I understand means I can't have anything fixed or replaced for free just yet.
If I can't get this DVR to get past the diagnostics mode and at least function as a receiver, I won't be able to activate the new card and I'll lose the money that it cost me. No huge deal, but I'd like to avoid it if I can.
So what I'm wondering is, should I risk not getting any coverage later, and go ahead and open up the DVR and replace the hard drive myself? Or is there another less expensive alternative?
By the way, I don't need the DVR function of this particular receiver for at least 30 days, so if I can get it working enough to get the card registered to it, I don't mind waiting until later to file a claim to possibly get it replaced.

Thanks for your help!! :)

Ken N.
watamix
Orange County, CA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

You own the DVR, you can open it and replace the hard drive yourself. If thats not the problem, put the old one back in it, and wait the 30 days.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

You can activate the card without the receiver working that way your time to activate the card will not run out.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

You can also put an external drive on it to see if in fact it's the HDD. I'd recommend that step rather than the hassle of opening and closing the box.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   watamix

watamix

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

You can activate the card without the receiver working that way your time to activate the card will not run out.

I'd like to know how to do that! Sorry, but I'm not clear on how to activate without being able to at least access ch 100....

Thanks!!

#6 OFFLINE   watamix

watamix

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

hello again....

what I'd really like to do is just get past the blue screens, the ones where the box is apparently checking the hard drive and finding lots of errors....

can anyone tell me how to bypass that hard drive test, so I can just use the box as a basic receiver??

thanks again!!

ken n
orange county, ca

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

When the box boots up it runs a quick hardware check. If it finds anything it thinks needs further checking it will do so. There is no way to get around this. If the drive is bad all you will ever get is the blue screen saying there is a drive problem until you replace the drive or put an eSATA drive on it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'd like to know how to do that! Sorry, but I'm not clear on how to activate without being able to at least access ch 100....

Thanks!!

You call and follow the script. They will likely ask you if you have a picture on the tv. Yes, it says call directv to activate. They will ask you to read the RID number and Access Card number off the screen. Just have it ready. Then they will activate it, it will verify instalation, download guide data, then you get a picture on the screen. Play along. Its active on your account. When you get around to it you can resend authorizations.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

1. Have you tried any of the Hard Dislk Diagnostics ?

http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=Surface Scan

2. If the FleaBay seller said it worked start the dispute process

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

This is one of those cases where I dont think the PP should actually cover this. You bought an obviously broken dvr on ebay, and want D* to replace it kinda retroactively. You would probably be better served by following rent_share's advice and return it to the ebay seller as bad.

#11 OFFLINE   watamix

watamix

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

hi everyone!

thanks ever so much for all your suggestions....

I decided to go ahead and try to fix it myself, since it wasn't going smoothly when I tried to pretend like it was working while the person at D* tried to activate the card...

So I got a new hard drive, slapped it in there, and voila! Good as new!

Couldn't have been much easier, and then the challenging part was the 30 minutes I spent on the phone with the people trying to get the card activated. You would've thought I was trying to steal money from their bank account, for how many verifications I had to provide!

Anyway, it's working beautifully now, and I really appreciate all your help!

All the best in 2013!!!

Ken N
OC, CA
:)

#12 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hopefully you increased the storage size and ended up with a superior product than a stock HR21

Don't forget to leave negative feedback for the FleaBay Seller

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

spam firewall